Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

The long, slow twilight of fat bikes

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

The long, slow twilight of fat bikes

Old 08-28-22, 02:49 PM
  #26  
Newbie
 
flieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pahrump, NV
Posts: 45

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo, 2021 Fatback Corvus

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
I have two fattys, a 2x10 Kona Wo and a Fatback Corvus 1x12. I ride the Mojave desert and spend lots of time in dry washes and sand.

Nothing else will get me where I go. I see a fat ebike in my future though, I'm 75 years old and only good for an hour and half, tops.
flieger is offline  
Likes For flieger:
Old 09-08-22, 09:07 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
 
xseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 95
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I ride mine year around, dry/wet/snow/sand/muck

No excuses
they are also great for mountain biking with your slower/less fit friends on faster bikes.
xseal is offline  
Old 10-14-22, 01:56 PM
  #28  
good cheap fun
 
trucklet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 51

Bikes: Too many

Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
People still love them here in Michigan It's a niche but I don't expect them to disappear. Thankfully the only e-fats I've seen are the horribly-specced QuietKats that hunters use, but they have their place too.
trucklet is offline  
Old 10-15-22, 09:43 AM
  #29  
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,231

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,557 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by xseal
they are also great for mountain biking with your slower/less fit friends on faster bikes.
This^^^

This is where my Fat Bike sees most of its summer miles.
Kapusta is offline  
Old 10-19-22, 06:47 AM
  #30  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
The fatbike market got bloated (pun intended); the fatbike looked so cool and every bike brand had to sell them in all the bike shops. It's been said a lot in this thread, the market had to adjust, and fit the needs/wants of those that truly value a fatbike's abilities. I expect many brands have/will exit the fatbike market and those bike brands that were selling fatbikes before the fad, they'll still be there: Surly, Salsa, Framed, and Otso introduced a new models the Acrtodus. Take notes, all of these companies are based in Minnesota (the OP and I are also located in MN). Fatbikes are not going away, but you'll see a lot fewer on the local rail-trails, because fatbikes were never the ride bike for that... now I see the trails clogged with ebikes and IHMO the ebike explosion we are currently experiencing will go through the exact same adjustment in a few years.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-19-22, 07:09 AM
  #31  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: East Windsor, NJ
Posts: 9

Bikes: Several, mainly clunkers at the beach

Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I think the fad might be almost over. Of the manufacturers who still sell them, models are highly limited in variety, and production numbers are exceedingly low. Certainly, a few specialty manufacturers are riding this out to the bitter end (Surly, Framed, Salsa) but even they have moved significantly away from this market. Surly hardly even offers their own fatbike components anymore, save for tires. And speaking of tires, which are the defining features of the fatbike...how many quality tire manufacturers are in that market now? Schwalbe, I guess, with what is really a single model. After that, I don't really hold Kenda or Maxxis in incredibly high regard; in the 29er market, given the choice between a Maxxis and a Continental, personally I'm probably going to go for a Continental every time.45NRTH offers quite a few, but 45NRTH is just QBP, which is also Surly, and their tires are secretly Innova tires, which were once rightly regarded as cheap garbage before they slapped trendy 45NRTH stickers on them and started selling them for a LOT more money than Innova could ever fetch.

How many fatbikes now sit disused in garages, as the cycling world has moved on? What a weird, crazy time period that was. My own fatbike (which really only sees winter use, because it is not particularly enjoyable to ride) is rapidly reaching the point of parts obsolescence. As things suffer the rigors of winter, finding replacements is becoming more and more difficult.

I just have to wonder, how long will this fad be on life support? Also, should probably sell while there is still a market.

Even this subforum is just about the deadest place on BF.

I actually find them fascinating but have never ridden one. I have a place at the beach, so the concept is real appealing to me.

What do you find "blech" about riding them?
nortonlax is offline  
Likes For nortonlax:
Old 10-19-22, 08:44 AM
  #32  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
45NRTH offers quite a few, but 45NRTH is just QBP, which is also Surly, and their tires are secretly Innova tires, which were once rightly regarded as cheap garbage before they slapped trendy 45NRTH stickers on them and started selling them for a LOT more money than Innova could ever fetch.
You must be kidding. I have 45NRTH Dillinger4 tires I got in Jan '17, they have lasted with years of heavy use. They perform great on pavement and on snow ... and bare ice.

Originally Posted by Banzai
How many fatbikes now sit disused in garages, as the cycling world has moved on? What a weird, crazy time period that was. My own fatbike (which really only sees winter use, because it is not particularly enjoyable to ride) is rapidly reaching the point of parts obsolescence. As things suffer the rigors of winter, finding replacements is becoming more and more difficult.
How many bikes now sit disused in garages ? You know that most folks own a bike that only get used once a summer or less. This isn't a fatbike thing, it is a bike thing. My 2015 Pugsley has over 9,000 miles on it, it's a great bike. The issue finding parts (or whole bikes) over the last 2-1/2 years has impacted every type of bike. The road bike I bought in 2021 took 6 months to deliver, prior to the pandemic, I'd have brought the bike home the same day I walked into the shop.

I feel like somebody needs to ask "who hurt you?" ... you don't like fatbikes, that's cool, you do you. But fatbikes have a solid core of folks that value those tires for allowing them to ride places no 'normal tires' can handle. And this Toad is one of that kinda rider. (and this thread has made it clear, I'm not alone).
Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-19-22, 09:46 AM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,728
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
The fatbike market got bloated (pun intended); the fatbike looked so cool and every bike brand had to sell them in all the bike shops. It's been said a lot in this thread, the market had to adjust, and fit the needs/wants of those that truly value a fatbike's abilities. I expect many brands have/will exit the fatbike market and those bike brands that were selling fatbikes before the fad, they'll still be there: Surly, Salsa, Framed, and Otso introduced a new models the Acrtodus. Take notes, all of these companies are based in Minnesota (the OP and I are also located in MN). Fatbikes are not going away, but you'll see a lot fewer on the local rail-trails, because fatbikes were never the ride bike for that... now I see the trails clogged with ebikes and IHMO the ebike explosion we are currently experiencing will go through the exact same adjustment in a few years.
I wouldn't hold my breath on Surly. I think they are on their way out.

I couldn't tell you of a person I know that currently owns one or anyone that actually wants to buy one. Their fan base has dwindled since 2015.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-19-22, 09:57 AM
  #34  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I wouldn't hold my breath on Surly. I think they are on their way out.

I couldn't tell you of a person I know that currently owns one or anyone that actually wants to buy one. Their fan base has dwindled since 2015.
That's not true, you know me and I have a Surly Pugsley.

Frau Toad has a Pugsley too; and she bought a Surly Midnight Special earlier this year ... and she's totally in love with it (she's barely used her CF Bianchi road bike since getting the Midnight Special). I expect QBP will keep Surly alive and well, even if it's a niche product; and Salsa will be the sexy brand for those that are into that kinda stuff.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-19-22, 01:15 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,728
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
That's not true, you know me and I have a Surly Pugsley.

Frau Toad has a Pugsley too; and she bought a Surly Midnight Special earlier this year ... and she's totally in love with it (she's barely used her CF Bianchi road bike since getting the Midnight Special). I expect QBP will keep Surly alive and well, even if it's a niche product; and Salsa will be the sexy brand for those that are into that kinda stuff.
I know you are Surly fan but their fan base is dwindling. I only live 3 hours east of you and Surly bikes are more or less non-existant on the summer and winter fat bike trails. There is one guy that I know that rides a Krampus but only uses it occasionally for bike packing. The shop here that used to sell Surly no longer carries them.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-19-22, 01:37 PM
  #36  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I know you are Surly fan but their fan base is dwindling. I only live 3 hours east of you and Surly bikes are more or less non-existant on the summer and winter fat bike trails. There is one guy that I know that rides a Krampus but only uses it occasionally for bike packing. The shop here that used to sell Surly no longer carries them.
I see plenty of Surly bikes around Minneapolis, but they are a home-town brand.

FWIW Surly started as a niche brand and I'm sure they will be find going back to a being niche brand. They have a history of finding gaps that other brands don't cover, and there will always be gaps to fill.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 09:36 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,728
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I see plenty of Surly bikes around Minneapolis, but they are a home-town brand.

FWIW Surly started as a niche brand and I'm sure they will be find going back to a being niche brand. They have a history of finding gaps that other brands don't cover, and there will always be gaps to fill.
Maybe.

While I can credit Surly for bringing they fat bike to market, they have since lost their way. Personally I think we have reached an evolutionary peak on mountain, road and fat bikes. There really isn't much to improve upon. Geometry has been dialed it, gearing is dialed in, hub spacing and thru axles are dialed in, disc brakes, electronc shifting, tires of all width to cover road, gravel, dirt trails and snow. I don't really think QBP/Surly has any gaps to fill and there aren't many fans of steel bikes anymore. They are there, but not in big numbers. That and over the past few years they have been discontinuing products that put them on the map.

Last edited by prj71; 10-20-22 at 09:40 AM.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 09:55 AM
  #38  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Maybe.

While I can credit Surly for bringing they fat bike to market, they have since lost their way. Personally I think we have reached an evolutionary peak on mountain, road and fat bikes. There really isn't much to improve upon. Geometry has been dialed it, gearing is dialed in, hub spacing and thru axles are dialed in, disc brakes, electronc shifting, tires of all width to cover road, gravel, dirt trails and snow. I don't really think QBP/Surly has any gaps to fill and there aren't many fans of steel bikes anymore. They are there, but not in big numbers. That and over the past few years they have been discontinuing products that put them on the map.
You clearly don't spend a lot of time reading posts around BF ... the love of steel is very real on the forums!

My current bikes include: 4 steel frames (including new tandem); 3 AL frames (selling one in the spring); 1 CF. IME CF is great but big $$$; AL affordable, but it's too harsh; and steel is affordable and offers a great ride.

That said, you do you! Go ride whatever makes you happy ... cause I'm gonna keep on lovin' Surly and steel.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 11:35 AM
  #39  
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,231

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,557 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I wouldn't hold my breath on Surly. I think they are on their way out.

I couldn't tell you of a person I know that currently owns one or anyone that actually wants to buy one. Their fan base has dwindled since 2015.
I know many people who own Surlys and several who have bought Surlys in the last 4 years.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-20-22, 01:52 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,728
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
You clearly don't spend a lot of time reading posts around BF ... the love of steel is very real on the forums!

My current bikes include: 4 steel frames (including new tandem); 3 AL frames (selling one in the spring); 1 CF. IME CF is great but big $$$; AL affordable, but it's too harsh; and steel is affordable and offers a great ride.

That said, you do you! Go ride whatever makes you happy ... cause I'm gonna keep on lovin' Surly and steel.
Steel bikes will always be around. I'm not debating that. There are numerous custom manufactures that will make you a steel frame but it will cost more. Whether Surly will continue to is looking sketchy. They are currently having problems with ICT and Wednesday frames cracking. Not sure if they've fixed the issue or not though.

The love of steel is real by a small number of folks. If you did a poll you would find aluminum and carbon frames to be what the majority of folks are using and also it is what the major players are selling because they know steel won't sell.

My first introduction to Surly was a Pugsley. It weighed 40 lbs. Ouch. I ran the other way and purchased a 30 lb aluminum Fatboy then eventually upgraded to a carbon fatboy that weighs 26lbs.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 02:17 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,728
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I know many people who own Surlys and several who have bought Surlys in the last 4 years.
Maybe it's geographical? IDK. I ride all sorts of trails all over WI and the UP of Michigan. It would be a struggle for me to find/see a Surly on the trail.
prj71 is offline  
Old 10-20-22, 03:20 PM
  #42  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Steel bikes will always be around. I'm not debating that. There are numerous custom manufactures that will make you a steel frame but it will cost more. Whether Surly will continue to is looking sketchy. They are currently having problems with ICT and Wednesday frames cracking. Not sure if they've fixed the issue or not though.

The love of steel is real by a small number of folks. If you did a poll you would find aluminum and carbon frames to be what the majority of folks are using and also it is what the major players are selling because they know steel won't sell.

My first introduction to Surly was a Pugsley. It weighed 40 lbs. Ouch. I ran the other way and purchased a 30 lb aluminum Fatboy then eventually upgraded to a carbon fatboy that weighs 26lbs.
HTFU ... not sayin', just sayin'

40 lbs Pugsley, 240 miles in under 19 hours




The DAMn - Day Across Minnesota
Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-20-22, 06:29 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 29,594

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Liked 3,611 Times in 2,359 Posts
seeing more ppl out on electric fat bikes, even at night. they are not dressed for athletics. they look more like a cross between wanna be motorcyclists & day hikers. not against that trend, anything that gets more of us away from gas based machines seems good. & fewer cars is better for conventional cyclists anyway, right?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 10-21-22, 05:35 AM
  #44  
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 6,231

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,557 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Maybe.

That and over the past few years they have been discontinuing products that put them on the map.
No bike company is going to be selling the same bikes that put them on the map ten+ years later.

If SC still selling he 1st gen Superlight? Or the Heckler 5?, Or the original Blur?

Is Yeti still selling the original ARC or the 575?

Surly still makes versions of all their greatest hits.

Krampus, Karate Monkey, Crosscheck, Big Dummy, and Long Haul Trucker are all still made, just updated.

They replaced fhe Pug and Moonlander with the Wednesday and ICT, which most people would consider improvements. They did nothing here that any other company wouldn’t have done. The difference is that most companies would have simply called the Wednesday the Pug v2 and not carried the two simultaneously.

The only bike I can think of that was popular that does not have a clear descendent is the 1x1. Lowside is kinda close, but not really.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-21-22, 06:28 AM
  #45  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
seeing more ppl out on electric fat bikes, even at night. they are not dressed for athletics. they look more like a cross between wanna be motorcyclists & day hikers. not against that trend, anything that gets more of us away from gas based machines seems good. & fewer cars is better for conventional cyclists anyway, right?
I was thinking about the fat ebikes on my ride last night, I saw a couple ebikes rolling on 26x4 tires. Bikes like the RadRover 6 Plus don't have a lot of the same components as an 'acoustic' fatbike like a Pug or Wednesday, but they are putting increased demand on some of the same part ... especially tires. This on top of the overall supply issues, the ebike fad helps explain why you see fewer fatbikes in the LBS*. I know my LBS wants more fatbikes in stock, but they are waiting months to get delivery, with most sold before they arrive ... and some models could be a year to get (I know this because I spent a hot minute shopping a new Mukluk for the wider tires).

* LBS are also stocking fewer fatbikes because demand is down ... and to the point of this thread, there was a fatbike fad 5-6 years ago, and demand has tapered off closer to the point it was 8-10 years ago. The fatbike is not going into the sunset, just back to the right level for the demand of folks that value riding where no other bike can take you.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-21-22, 06:56 AM
  #46  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,525
Liked 3,821 Times in 2,603 Posts
Do the radpower bikes take fatbike tires? I noticed they said 4x26, but I know some of their bikes take proprietary tires
unterhausen is offline  
Old 10-21-22, 08:18 AM
  #47  
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,705

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Do the radpower bikes take fatbike tires? I noticed they said 4x26, but I know some of their bikes take proprietary tires
I honestly have no clue ... I expected the ebike running running 26x4 tires were using tires that could be used on either acoustic bikes and ebikes, but I could be totally wrong.
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 10-21-22, 08:59 AM
  #48  
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,525
Liked 3,821 Times in 2,603 Posts
I am really considering getting the fatbike sized radpower for errands. It would be nice to be able to use my studded fatbike tires. I guess I have to call them

It always seemed to me that fatbike sized tires would be ideal for many ebike uses. Not like you care too much about how much drag they provide.
unterhausen is offline  
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-24-22, 10:14 PM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
MarcusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NE Italy
Posts: 1,637
Liked 633 Times in 354 Posts
I would get rid of my road bike before my fattie
MarcusT is offline  
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-25-22, 07:23 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,728
Liked 1,228 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
HTFU ... not sayin', just sayin'

40 lbs Pugsley, 240 miles in under 19 hours




The DAMn - Day Across Minnesota

You would have had a better finish time if your bike was about 15 lbs lighter!!!
prj71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.