Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I Want A Speeding Ticket

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I Want A Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-15, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
If you see a pi... police officer, to ensure you are going as fast as possible, maximise your aerodynamic efficiency by raising your middle finger.
Darn it you beat me to it. I was just going to type something very similar.
Old 04-07-15, 01:25 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
You old hippie.
I was born and raised as an old hippie! Just across the lake from N. MI, too!
Old 04-07-15, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I think I could get over the speed limit on the 30th avenue hill in Eugene, which goes from rural 55 mph to urban 30 mph (or so???), but I'd rather be safe, and there is a busy traffic light at the bottom of the hill. There are probably a few other hills I could pop the speed up on, but wouldn't be comfortable hitting 45 or so in a residential neighborhood.

I think Main Street Springfield which is flat has a posted speed limit of 20 MPH, but the lights are timed at about 25 MPH, so all the traffic goes above the speed limit, and I'm going flat out just to keep up with the lights and traffic (if all the timers are working right, they seem to not be as regular now as they were decades ago).
Old 04-07-15, 01:42 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I was born and raised as an old hippie! Just across the lake from N. MI, too!
Sorry about that game last night. A lot of us were pulling for the Badgers.
Old 04-07-15, 02:39 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Sorry about that game last night. A lot of us were pulling for the Badgers.
I think you assumed the wrong lake.
Old 04-07-15, 03:39 PM

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A speeding ticket on a bike will count against my car insurance . Why would I want to do that . I am sure it is the same where you live .
Old 04-07-15, 03:54 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

I think you assumed the wrong lake.
Gotcha.
Old 04-07-15, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mapeiboy
A speeding ticket on a bike will count against my car insurance . Why would I want to do that . I am sure it is the same where you live .
I have factored that in.
Old 04-07-15, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Burt lake. finally got one in.
Old 04-07-15, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by mapeiboy
A speeding ticket would only count against my car insurance if I had car insurance.

But, I suppose within the next few years I'll have drive again... at least a little.
Old 04-07-15, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit a good down hill yesterday going into town in a 25mph zone and passed a few cars and a cop at 37. He just gave me a thumbs up when it flattened out and he passed me. I don't know that I'd want to live in (or ride in) a town where the cops where so uptight that they gave me a ticket on a bike. That would be pretty prickish of any cop.
Old 04-07-15, 04:17 PM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Whatever floats your boat. For me, knowing I could exceed the limit would be enough. I don't need it to show up on my insurance rates.
You're kidding right? There's no way a bicycle infraction shows up on your driving record. It's a funny idea, though. Haha
Old 04-07-15, 04:18 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Speeding on a downhill doesn't get you any bragging points. Getting a ticket on flat ground is better, if only because there's no way you'd get a ticket in a 25 mph zone unless you were doing 30+.

Handicap points for age. If I get one I'll be sure to mount it on a slope.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 04-07-15, 04:24 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
On a serious note, the OP might want to consider using his plan in a way that it will have a happy ending between him and law enforcement. I'm just saying, it does have a ring of "midnite madness". But gags that involve the police are rarely viewed in light of their jockular intent unless the others are in on the joke.*

Maybe use it as an opportunity to raise bike safety awareness. "Don't ride like me!" and include a positive video message that could be shared at the library or someplace.

* In your worst nightmare, the police would actually be needed somewhere while you had them distracted. Or so some might be tempted to claim.
Old 04-07-15, 04:27 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Many years ago, I was waved down by an officer who said I was doing 45+ in a 25mph hospital zone. I responded that I had no idea because I had no speedometer, but I knew it was fast, since I was coasting down hill and and wanted to maintain whatever speed I could for the climb starting just beyond. But I was fine with it and would take the ticket and pay the fine. He radioed his supervisor who said to send me on my way, since odds were the judge would dismiss it anyway.

It ended up with me just about begging for the ticket for bagging rights, but no dice. He explained that if I were a local, and refused to slow down they'd end up having to cite me. But since I was just passing through, and not likely to be a problem, they were just as happy to give me a free pass.

I was a bit tempted to climb the hill and keep repeating it to see how far they'd let it go, but common sense prevailed. So like the OP, I'm still waiting for the radar proof of how fast I can bomb downhill.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-07-15, 04:41 PM

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
...I was a bit tempted to climb the hill and keep repeating it to see how far they'd let it go, but common sense prevailed. So like the OP, I'm still waiting for the radar proof of how fast I can bomb downhill.
That was going to be my plan here in St. Boni ... the hill goes straight into town and enough runs ought to get someone's attention.... heh.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 04-07-15, 05:44 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
I've tried to get one back in my youth as well. A quick 30' downhill drop, then the 25mph road flatens out for a half mile -- Our little burg's favorite speed trap. I saw the cop running radar up ahead and gave it my best shot. I whizzed past him, hell-bent-for-leather, and went back to ask him how fast I was going. He said he had he clocked me at 32mph. And he added "You best be sure you have good brakes, son..."
Old 04-07-15, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Many years ago, I was waved down by an officer who said I was doing 45+ in a 25mph hospital zone. I responded that I had no idea because I had no speedometer, but I knew it was fast, since I was coasting down hill and and wanted to maintain whatever speed I could for the climb starting just beyond. But I was fine with it and would take the ticket and pay the fine. He radioed his supervisor who said to send me on my way, since odds were the judge would dismiss it anyway.

It ended up with me just about begging for the ticket for bagging rights, but no dice. He explained that if I were a local, and refused to slow down they'd end up having to cite me. But since I was just passing through, and not likely to be a problem, they were just as happy to give me a free pass.

I was a bit tempted to climb the hill and keep repeating it to see how far they'd let it go, but common sense prevailed. So like the OP, I'm still waiting for the radar proof of how fast I can bomb downhill.
I knew there were some others of like minds here.
Old 04-07-15, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by cale
On a serious note, the OP might want to consider using his plan in a way that it will have a happy ending between him and law enforcement. I'm just saying, it does have a ring of "midnite madness". But gags that involve the police are rarely viewed in light of their jockular intent unless the others are in on the joke.*

Maybe use it as an opportunity to raise bike safety awareness. "Don't ride like me!" and include a positive video message that could be shared at the library or someplace.

* In your worst nightmare, the police would actually be needed somewhere while you had them distracted. Or so some might be tempted to claim.
No plans or schemes, just a hope.
Old 04-07-15, 06:05 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Blow through a School Zone while school is in session, and the speed does not have to be that Fast.
Old 04-07-15, 06:10 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No plans or schemes, just a hope.
Ok, but if you don't call this thread a plan, I'm not sure what you'd call it.

"My hope is to get caught speeding." Your ambition, if you will.

Go ahead andmiddle-finger the cops to get their attention. I'll enjoy reading about it.
Old 04-07-15, 06:19 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Our little town has several descents with 25mph speed limits as you cross into the city limits. Last year I rode them avg'ing 37mph. The main drag is 25mph and is flat, so I would have to earn that one. My shop has an empty place for a framed ticket. Maybe this year.
And the flat ride is the one you have to do. It would be cheating to take credit for gravity's work. This you have to earn yourself. And you can do it!

And then after you get the ticket.... and I'll assume appear in mayors court. Explain that you understood the lawmakers had exempted bicycles from speeding laws.... since bicycles are EXEMPT from the speedometer requirement. And why else would bikes be exempt from speedometers... if they weren't also exempt from strict adherence to the speed limit posted for those vehicles... that are required to have speedometers.
Old 04-07-15, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by cale
Ok, but if you don't call this thread a plan, I'm not sure what you'd call it.

"My hope is to get caught speeding." Your ambition, if you will.

Go ahead andmiddle-finger the cops to get their attention. I'll enjoy reading about it.
I work in Probate Court and know a lot of these guys.
Old 04-07-15, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Burt lake. finally got one in.
I fish there.
Old 04-07-15, 07:07 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I workscratch "reside" in Probate Court and know a lot of these guys.
How convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.