Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nearly 1 million bikes recalled after rider paralyzed

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 06:14 PM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some of us old guys don't spend much time in the other forum areas.

Almost one million Trek bikes are being recalled in the United States and Canada after an injury that left one rider paralyzed.

Included in the recall are 900,000 bikes in the U.S., and 98,000 sold in Canada, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. A quick-release lever on the bike's front-wheel hub can come into contact with the front disc brake assembly, resulting in either complete wheel separation or the wheel coming to an instant stop.
Old 04-22-15, 06:25 PM
RR3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Instead of Lawyer's lips, I can see forks with holes for bolted on axles coming.

Am I understanding the video correctly? A rider did not close the QR lever? Do the levers fail and jam?
Old 04-22-15, 06:57 PM
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Redesigning is an easy way to prevent the conflict between lever and disk. Much more difficult challenge is for (some) riders to ensure that their QR is properly used.

I have used QR hubs for over 40 years and have never had one flop open. Can't seem to keep my shoelaces from getting chopped by the crank though.
Old 04-22-15, 07:06 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
They are not really recalling bikes, but rather QR skewers.

Not a Trek:

Last edited by JanMM; 04-24-15 at 07:29 PM. Reason: changed levers to skewers
Old 04-23-15, 05:57 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
The report, linked in another site, stated that the levers could open beyond the safe point and go into the wheel and lock up the wheel. It threw a rider over the bars and the spinal injury resulted in quadriplegia. The CPSC recall announcement said it was two specific types of QR levers that opened too far. Not sure if the rider neglected to fully close the QR lever, or it got pulled open in a brush by. Supposed to be ~900,000 bicycles in the US and around 80,000, in Canada, that are covered by the recall. I was sad to see the snarky, smart ass replies some people made about this on that site. Its one more reason to always check both QR levers before each ride.

And, yes, the through axle with threaded drops is probably headed for more use in disk brake equipped bicycles. Other new designs for a disk specific QR have shown up, too.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-23-15, 06:32 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 1989 Greg LeMond Le Vanquer, 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2010 LHT, Marlboro Fuji Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Bjorling (Trek guy) said the affected bikes have a quick release lever that opens too far. Once closed, Bjorling says its safe to ride.
"The part will not open on you in the middle of a ride. The part , if left open—basically it's misuse," said Bjorling.
Old 04-23-15, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
It is a very unfortunate situation.
Old 04-23-15, 02:51 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
Redesigning is an easy way to prevent the conflict between lever and disk. Much more difficult challenge is for (some) riders to ensure that their QR is properly used.

I have used QR hubs for over 40 years and have never had one flop open. Can't seem to keep my shoelaces from getting chopped by the crank though.
Dude,,Shoe laces are old school,, Join the 21st century rider !

Lock Laces? | Nathan Sports

I never had one fail and am starting my second season now,,come to think of it,
I'll ride this same pair for another year..

Single track mountain bike riding btw,,,I get bored just rolling along on the roads edge..
Old 04-23-15, 02:58 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Does not matter if "the Elevator does not reach the top Floor" Dumb people are still allowed to Buy Bicycles ..

At least when someone comes in Wingnutting the QR lever, the folks at My LBS, and Myself, try to educate them on that piece of self Preservation, Skill.
Old 04-23-15, 05:24 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
This was evidently a new twist to an old problem. In this specific case, the QR lever got caught in the brake disc.

As JanMM shows in his photo, one effective solution, in addition to knowing how to operate a QR lever, is to break with tradition by mounting the front QR lever on the right side, away from the brake disc.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-23-15, 08:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts

Pretty much this whole post right down to my shoelaces. funny how that doesn't happen with my newfangled velcro strapped road shoes.

I explained it this way to my wife....It's like leaving your lug nuts loose and being surprised when your wheel falls off.

It's too bad people have been severely injured, but you can't completely idiot proof everything.

Have I ever mentioned I really dislike lawyer lips?

Last edited by Wileyrat; 04-23-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 08:57 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Stupid should hurt, but not kill.

2 weeks ago a young lady dropped off her 5 year old BMW because there was a red light on the dash. It was the oil light and she continued to drive the car for 3 days. Bottom line is there's an internal knock and most likely the engine will have to come apart. They dropped the oil pan and it looks like she never changed the oil. It's a "Cluster $%^&" and its gonna cost her.
Old 04-23-15, 09:05 PM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Stupid should hurt, but not kill.

2 weeks ago a young lady dropped off her 5 year old BMW because there was a red light on the dash. It was the oil light and she continued to drive the car for 3 days. Bottom line is there's an internal knock and most likely the engine will have to come apart. They dropped the oil pan and it looks like she never changed the oil. It's a "Cluster $%^&" and its gonna cost her.
No, stupid does get killed in the real world... Problem is, in our world stupid gets protected and expects to live like the rest of us... JMO... Look at what is happening to cars these days, lane departure warning, self parking, self braking, light left on warning, low oil pressure light, why? to allow people to drive who are not really able to do so safely on their own,...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-23-15 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 04-23-15, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The prudent thing to do would be to put the lever on the non-disc side as JanMM did above.
Old 04-24-15, 06:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ian's secure shoelace knot works very well, especially with those accursed round laces.

Ian's Shoelace Site - Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot
Old 04-24-15, 06:37 PM

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
A word to the wise, perhaps: This Trek problem merits a broader discussion and investigation, probably starting with our own bikes. I own one of the Trek bikes affected/implicated -a 2013 8.5DS. (A bike, BTW, which was already going in pursuant to a prior, recent recall for a dangerous shock.) Yes, the specific problem is that the QR lever can open beyond the 180-degree point and fold into the disc. Note that this could happen even to the smart and careful, in case of an accident, or should an obstruction rip the lever open while riding. I'm sure there are plenty of threads here about the direction that levers should be folded. Also, even if it is moved to the other side, the same lever could still fold into a spoke. It may be a less serious consequence, because a spoke can/may give; but, what if multiple spokes are affected? Either way, it can be about going down and/or into who knows what.

I checked the five bikes in my garage, and three of the bikes from different manufacturers have levers that open beyond 180 degrees. (I only checked front wheels.) In my case, the two road bikes' levers do not open even to 180: one is a '97 Bianchi, and the other a '14 Trek. Of the "bad-lever" bikes, two have disc brakes. Anyway, I'm going to be replacing all my swinging levers, even if only one has been recalled. Safe and joyous riding to all.
Old 04-24-15, 07:28 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
UPS delivered a new wheel for my wife's hybrid today: It's built on a modest Shimano hub and included a Shimano QR with enclosed mechanism and a lever that won't go back beyond 180 degrees. Similar to the Shimano QR in the picture of my bike (above), which is the only bike in our stable with a front disc brake. I'm sure I have several of the 'bad-lever' QR's in my spare parts containers. Will have to figure out what to do with them.

Last edited by JanMM; 04-24-15 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 05:19 PM
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Coal Buster
Ian's secure shoelace knot works very well, especially with those accursed round laces.

Ian's Shoelace Site - Ian's Secure Shoelace Knot
I've been using a square knot tied with 2 bights (Ashley 1217). IMO More secure than the knot referenced above. Nice to see that Ian (of the above website) is not taking credit for inventing this double slip knot (Ashley 1216).

Sorry for the thread hijack. For those who don't know who Clifford Ashley is: He compiled his incredible Book of Knots over his lifetime. Fascinating reading for those interested in rope arts. Sort of on topic is his description of a way to make an emergency bike tire out of 52 feet of old clothesline (Ashley 2028). I wonder what the lawyers would think of that.
Old 04-25-15, 05:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been using a square knot tied with 2 bights (Ashley 1217). IMO More secure than the knot referenced above. Nice to see that Ian (of the above website) is not taking credit for inventing this double slip knot (Ashley 1216).

Sorry for the thread hijack. For those who don't know who Clifford Ashley is: He compiled his incredible Book of Knots over his lifetime. Fascinating reading for those interested in rope arts. Sort of on topic is his description of a way to make an emergency bike tire out of 52 feet of old clothesline (Ashley 2028). I wonder what the lawyers would think of that.
I like the double slip because unlike most double knots it can be released with the simple pull of either tag end.
Old 04-25-15, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
It is unfortunate. However safe cycling takes a certain amount of care and knowledge. Making sure the QR is properly closed is just one of many things to do like ensure your tires are inflated, the tires aren't worn, the tires and tube are mounted correctly, your brakes function, the derailleur is set correct, the headset is tight, etc.

Manufactuers shouldn't be responsible for users lack of diligence. I can see people coming up with lawsuits against Trek for things that happened a long time ago or maybe didn't even happen at all.
Old 04-26-15, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
quadriplegic. Oh, my God.

We all like to think it was stupidity, and that of course none of 'us' could be 'stupid.'

This whole story makes me so very sad. Nobody deserves an accident like that.
Old 04-26-15, 02:20 PM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54
quadriplegic. Oh, my God.

We all like to think it was stupidity, and that of course none of 'us' could be 'stupid.'

This whole story makes me so very sad. Nobody deserves an accident like that.
It is sad...but even if you live your entire life in a solid steel bomb-proof bunker, life is a danger which ultimately none of us survive.

A few years ago at work I almost lost my right hand closing a 2-ton 30ft tall steel blast door. I didn't sue my employer. I didn't demand a recall of all similar blast doors in the USA. I swallowed it and admitted on the spot that while my hand was black-and-blue for 2 weeks I had no one to blame but myself. You go around the block enough in life, everyone has similar life-and-limb threatening stories of being tired and careless and in a hurry.

Before you ride-check your tire pressure and while you're at it check that your wheels are seated in the frame. That 5 second check would have prevented this.