Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sold my CAAD8 , shopping for new to me....

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-25-15, 05:16 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sold the CAAD 8 with 2300 group set ...looking for something a bit bigger and in a Endurance geometry, I have narrowed it down to Syapse with Sora group, it's a leftover model with decent price and its local. The other is a Secteur with Tiagra groups dealer demo only slightly used...has to ship to me....I am leaning towards the Secteur because of the Tiagra...
Old 04-25-15, 09:19 AM
shin1ichi2002

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Orion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey NGU,
I just upgraded from CAAD 3, Ultegra to a Ridley Orion from Performance. If I was looking at the correct Secteur online, at that price point (aluminum), you may want to at least glance at the Ridley CR1 at Performance. The difference in carbon vs my CAAD3 is huge, as for ride quality. I'll be 50 later this year. This carbon frame makes it easier on the body. To me all that talk about carbon absorbing road vibrations was all bunk.....until I test roads and then bought this. @ 300 miles on it so far, loving the ride.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 04-25-15, 02:41 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I tried the 2015 Synapse but wasn't comfortable on it. Got a 2015 SuperSix EVO carbon.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-25-15, 04:24 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
I tried the 2015 Synapse but wasn't comfortable on it. Got a 2015 SuperSix EVO carbon.
Little above my pay grade
Old 04-26-15, 04:56 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going to Raleigh in the morning with a $1000 budget...maybe a few more
Old 04-27-15, 05:15 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well decided on a Madone 2.1 60 cm, the 105 group set works like a knife in butter...got it for a good price...
Old 04-28-15, 06:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '71 Jeunet 630, '79 Peugeot PXN10LE, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Um, actually...

Originally Posted by shin1ichi2002 View Post
To me all that talk about carbon absorbing road vibrations was all bunk...
The "absorbing" qualities of a fiber frame are largely overstated. Enjoy your carbon bike @shin1ichi2002, but don't convince yourself of carbon being the difference... Wheel construction, choice of tires, overall frame geometry, fit and balance - they all matter a lot with regard to your perception of ride comfort.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 04-28-15 at 06:44 AM. Reason: addressed the quoted post
Old 04-28-15, 07:16 AM
fishboy316 

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I got to go with shin1 rode 2 giant defy bikes and the carbon was surely a Much different ride. That was when I decided on the carbon frame. Were basically the same bike and the carbon was hands down the smoother ride. Didn't buy either one but that is what swayed me when I was in the market.
Old 04-28-15, 04:49 PM
Frreed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the forums and just came across this. Just today I traded in my 2006 CAAD 8 and picked up Defy 1. Nice Aluminum frame with 105. Much more relaxed that the 'Dale and it came in at 20.1 pounds (without pedals, bottle cages...). I looked at the Madone as well, but got a great deal on the Giant.
Old 04-28-15, 06:33 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked at Defy but couldn't get the deal of the Defy,,, Madone 2.1 with 105 for $999.00, I thought that was pretty good, I had choice if this and a Domane with Tiagra, went with Madone because of better group set
Old 04-28-15, 08:49 PM
shin1ichi2002

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Orion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats NGU! That is a nice bike.

Fishboy, thanks for the corroboration. As a control, i even put the same wheels from my 'dale on the new Ridley..........on one of the same routes i regularly ride. as a long time rider, i was really concerned about fit on a new bike. i have setup the Orion extremely close to my old position. there is a definite difference (improvement for me). in the end, i hope everyone enjoys what they ride.
Old 04-28-15, 10:51 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Notgrownup View Post
Sold the CAAD 8 ...
Originally Posted by Frreed View Post
New to the forums and just came across this. Just today I traded in my 2006 CAAD 8 ...
What is everyone doing? Caad8 Optimo's are my favorite bike / frame. If I had the money and if they were my size, I'd buy them all. Just in case I don't know what, but just in case.

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
The "absorbing" qualities of a fiber frame are largely overstated. Enjoy your carbon bike @shin1ichi2002, but don't convince yourself of carbon being the difference... Wheel construction, choice of tires, overall frame geometry, fit and balance - they all matter a lot with regard to your perception of ride comfort.
I'm with you on that ... carbon fibre is just a material, not magic. It takes a good frame design, good quality materials, and a good manufacturing process - not unlike building a bike with any other material, to end up with a bike that rides sweeeet.
Old 04-29-15, 04:36 AM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't too concerned with carbon, I wanted to test ride what I bought, I am glad I did, I actually took 2 test ride each on the Madone and the Domane, I really thought the Domane would be a lot different but I really didn't see much difference...The ISO speed coupler didn't do much for me...
Old 04-29-15, 11:14 PM
Frreed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
What is everyone doing? Caad8 Optimo's are my favorite bike / frame. If I had the money and if they were my size, I'd buy them all. Just in case I don't know what, but just in case.
I loved the CAAD 8. Unfortunately, I have aged a bit since I bought it. I have started working on longer rides and needed a bit more relaxed setup. Also the upgrade from 9 speed 105/Ultegra to new 105 11 speed is not a small thing.
Old 05-16-15, 05:23 AM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got some right sized pictures to post. This was on my 10 mile ride this morning...if you look closely there is a chicken behind the front wheel. It was just clucking around... Good ol country living...this is only my 5 th ride since I got the bike 2 weeks ago, so only about 50 miles on the bike, my legs are already feeling stronger by the ride....This bike works a lot better for me than the CAAD8 and that 105 groupset Is Smooth as butter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (105.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-16-15 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 06:13 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

It still pains me to read the title of this thread. No Caad should ever have to be sold, unless to someone who will learn to love the endearing qualities of the frame.

Sounds like you're enjoying the new bike.
Old 05-16-15, 06:50 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The young lady I sold the undersized bike to was a perfect fit for it and she.is loving it.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-17-15 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 07:24 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 36 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here, and place a penny on the bet, that the previous reply was done on the mobile app. Just a hunch.

NGU, the new ride looks quite nice, (well, for a Giant) and I do hope the young lady enjoys the CAAD 8, as Water Boy said, they are fantastic frame sets. I'm on my 3rd consecutive C'Dale in the last 25years, and quite happy with the CAAD 10.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 05-16-15, 10:11 PM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
I'll go out on a limb here, and place a penny on the bet, that the previous reply was done on the mobile app. Just a hunch.

NGU, the new ride looks quite nice, (well, for a Giant) and I do hope the young lady enjoys the CAAD 8, as Water Boy said, they are fantastic frame sets. I'm on my 3rd consecutive C'Dale in the last 25years, and quite happy with the CAAD 10.

Bill
So ... I've been relegated to the position of "Water Boy"? No offense. It's my first love, waterskiing that is. Although in the past couple of years I've spent more time in the saddle than on the ski.

Old 05-17-15, 05:42 AM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn IPad, fixes my words all the time....fixed it though...I really wanted a Synapse but the price difference was $500 because Trek had a leftover 2014 so it pushed me over. Not a died hard Cannondale but I like the brand. I am extremely satisfied with my choice, I had to put a adjustable stem to tweak my riding position a tad....I will put the stock stem back on once my neck gets stronger...the bike looks busy with the 2 bags and the non matching water bottles...lol...

Last edited by Notgrownup; 05-17-15 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-17-15, 04:27 PM
SammyJ

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It still pains me to read the title of this thread. No Caad should ever have to be sold, unless to someone who will learn to love the endearing qualities of the frame.

Sounds like you're enjoying the new bike.
Well said! I currently own my second CADD. Loved them both, and still do!
Old 05-17-15, 07:25 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 36 Posts
So ... I've been relegated to the position of "Water Boy"? No offense. It's my first love, waterskiing that is. Although in the past couple of years I've spent more time in the saddle than on the ski.
Its all in jest, unless you prefer I use your proper given name, for all to pass around, and use for nefarious purposes.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 05-18-15, 04:23 PM
h2oxtc

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Its all in jest, unless you prefer I use your proper given name, for all to pass around, and use for nefarious purposes.

Bill
Water Boy will be just fine, or H2O if you're wanting to save some keystrokes.
Old 05-18-15, 06:09 PM
Notgrownup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water Boy will be just fine, or H2O if you're wanting to save some keystrokes.
Wet Canuck...what about that ...fellow Canuck.
Old 05-19-15, 10:58 PM
h2oxtc

Not exactly wet in our neck of the woods, unless you count the water that's in the lake.

Apologies to the OP, not intending to hijack the thread. Here's a photo of my wife's Caad9 Athena 11spd.

Below is a panorama I stitched together from photos I took during my ride yesterday. The valley is semi-arid; I call it Napa North as vineyards are replacing the natural desert and fruit orchards.