Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Race Report - You Say Bi, I Say DU, I Can't Wait to Du it Again

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-28-15, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Once you've stopped rolling your eyes at the title, read on. I am corrected in that it is a Biathlon; however, in my defense it was billed as a duathlon and the t-shirt I got says, "Woolmarket Duathlon."

First let me say, up until a few months ago, I rarely rarely rarely rode a bike. Five years ago I began running to lose weight and I needed to lose about 100 pounds. My obsessive personality led me to 5k's, half and full marathons. The southern heat and having trained thru two summers for September marathons proved hard on my body and my wife (I got married on 11/9/2013) bought me a bicycle for summer riding in hopes I would run less and ride more. My urologist was all for that idea as I had developed a single kidney stone from dehydrating too much during summer training. It took 2 lithotripsies to rid myself of that damn thing. Also, my wife had just been diagnosed with breast cancer....she's ok now that the surgery and radiation are finished and it is almost behind us. With all of these things weighing on me, I seriously began riding and have put myself into it and have found that I really love the bike. I really love running too but will cut back running in the summers.

Another thing I need to add is I am stubborn and hardheaded. My preferred way of learning is the "hard way."

On Friday we drove from Baton Rouge to Bay St. Louis, MS and checked in to the cottage. Weather was really bad and storming, but I couldn't put the bike in the back seat because my wife has to pack everything including the kitchen sink for a 2 day trip. So the bike rode in the bed of my truck. My first mistake was to take the seat off and put a cheaper seat on. I did this because I didn't want anything to happen to the seat as I may or may not keep it.

Saturday morning it was still raining when we made our way to he Woolmarket Community Center. Oh My God!!!! They have hills. No, I take that back. It had to be the Alps sitting right there in coastal Mississippi.

The 5k started and I held my pace back because I was afraid of wearing out on the hills in the 80 degree plus weather prior to the cycling section.

After the 5k, I managed to get on my bike and fumble with the SPD-SL pedals a bit and finally I was off like a dirty shirt. Another hard lesson......I'll put the Time Xpresso pedals back on.

Everyone that passed me would call out "left" and then in true southern style exchange a polite greeting as I did with everyone I passed.

I passed a very attractive young lady a few miles into the race and we chatted a bit. I kept thinking I would need my energy for the hills and to get thru the 11 miles. I didn't have my GPS on and kept thinking I had a long way to go when in reality, I made the final turn with 2 miles to go thinking I had 5 or 6 miles to go.

I finished the race in 1:20:23 and realized I held back way too much. I won't make that mistake again at the 2nd of the 3 races on 5/23/15.

At the end of the course where you brake, turn around and receive your ticket, I chatted some more with folks from the Gulf Coast Bicycle Club who invited me to come back when the club rides the course for practice. The event itself was hosted by the Gulf Coast Running Club. Everyone there was very nice to a 60 year old man doing his first biathlon and first competitive bicycle event.

The entry form for the race had a statement where you agree to have fun and I did. I had cookies and beer along with meeting some very very friendly people. I almost feel guilty saying this but the people at this event were friendlier than the people I've met a foot races.

Bottom line....I'm hooked! The fear and nervousness are behind me. Nothing bad happened other than the saddle pinching me in a place that ought not to have been pinched. I plan to haul butt in May.

What will I do different other than run like the wind and ride like the Dickens?
1. Take a plastic milk jug crate to carry my stuff and to sit on while changing shoes in the transition area.
2. Buy a new helmet with a visor.
3. Get new cycling shoes....I ordered these this morning. New shoes for running or cycling should be bought whenever you feel the need.
4. Put the Time pedals on the bike.
5. Use my Garmin.
6. Buy a new set of Tri shorts from the place in Ocean Springs that have Walter Anderson artwork on the side panels.
7. Actually train.
8. Put speed laces on my running shoes.

Let me close with telling you my wife and I like to make trips to my races into little vacations. I think I'd like to also do a gravel race. Any ideas for which one to do for a first gravel event.

Last edited by tg16; 04-28-15 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-28-15, 12:22 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Liked 836 Times in 523 Posts
Super congratulations!!!!!! Well done, and I am sure that you will have many more to come.

Sorry about the bi-du, just wanted to make sure you had a heads up about the mistake some make promoting as a du when it is not. Believe me, it's that second run that really hurts.

Three years ago a running/biking friend asked me to join him for a duathlon. Only able to walk, not jog or run, I agreed and registered for a 70.3 Duathlon, 5K-56 miles-13.1 miles. Downpour started the 5K, continued for 30 miles into the 56 then stopped and had upper 80's for the rest and the 13.1 miles. Torture for sure but fun. I watched triathletes coming out of the lake for a triathlon that was held along with the duathlon and decided after I finished that even though I did not swim, I would try a tri so at 62 at the time I became an OldTryGuy.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-28-15 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 01:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on what seemed to be a nice, friendly, social race (polite greetings when passing/being passed , chatting a bit with attractive women). And especially, well done to your wife for kicking cancer's a$$.

BTW - I started riding again for similar reasons: needed to lose weight, and control blood pressure. I've started running, because, as I've gotten fitter, it takes longer and longer to get a good workout on the bike (and sometimes I just don't have the time). It used to be if I went out for 45 minutes to an hour, I could feel like I really had a good workout. Nowadays, that same feeling takes a minimum of 2-1/2 to 3 hours, depending on elevation gain.
Old 04-29-15, 06:16 AM
Semper Fi

Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Nicely written report, thanks for sharing with us here. If you get over to Pensacola for one of our Tri's give me a shout out. (I'm not a Trigeek, but I will gladly support someone.)

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-29-15, 06:28 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
That looks like a great way to get into racing - competitive, but not cut-throat. Good luck on the next stage
Old 04-29-15, 07:46 AM
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congratulations! But be warned, duathlons are addictive. (And it is du, bi is that strange Olympic sport they do with cross country skiing and guns.)

My son is a serious duathlete, doing several a year. And he does very well in them, winning his last three. There is all kinds of special equipment, from the tri bikes to shoes they have already clipped on the bike and Velcro fasten as they ride out of the transition area. Lots of tricks and equipment suggestions can me found in bikeforums' triathlon section and a listserve called slow-twitch. Good luck on your new addiction.

Last edited by Cychologist; 04-29-15 at 08:37 AM.