Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever do a juice fast or cleanse?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 09:20 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm thinking about doing a quick one - just three days, to see how it goes. Wondering how longer juice cleanses or fasts impact cycling. Anyone with some experience doing this?

EDIT: The title should read "juice" fast, not "nice" fast - but I can't seem to change that.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-02-15, 04:44 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This is the 50+. We've all done colonoscopy cleanses. I never felt like riding on those days. With a juice cleanse, I wonder how the energy levels would be? I haven't done one, obviously. Phil
Old 05-02-15, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
This is the 50+. We've all done colonoscopy cleanses. I never felt like riding on those days. With a juice cleanse, I wonder how the energy levels would be? I haven't done one, obviously. Phil
Been there, done that...

This thread reminds me, the wife is due.
Old 05-02-15, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
OK, tell me about YOUR version of a juice cleanse. I have way two much gas and bloating.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 05-02-15, 12:28 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've done a fast cleanse of my bike after riding in the rain, but otherwise, no.
Old 05-02-15, 04:21 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'm thinking about doing a quick one - just three days, to see how it goes. Wondering how longer juice cleanses or fasts impact cycling. Anyone with some experience doing this?

EDIT: The title should read "juice" fast, not "nice" fast - but I can't seem to change that.
Fixed.

Yes, I've done it, though its been a while. As I recall it made me a bit faster.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-02-15, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Our bodies are self cleaning. That is what you liver and kidneys do. What do people think a juice cleanse would do anyway? Toxins don't build in the system to be flushed out with some juice. And our system doesn't have a reset button.
Old 05-02-15, 06:36 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Garbage In Garbage out... GIGO, an old computer programmers saying, It applies to our bodies just the same..

'A lean body Is a healthy body', We all know that to be true right !

Want to have better health farther into your advancing years ? Lets say your daily caloric intake is,,,2500,, or 3000 or what ever, do a mini fast.
Every third or fourth day chop 500 -750 calories out of your daily Intake, just for ONE day and one day only. DO NOT add 500 extra back the next day.

This keeps your system clean, lean, and efficient without you feeling weak or down...

Work out normally and If your heavy work out day falls on a reduced calorie day,,, so be it, man up, you will survive...

Juice fast,, cleansing, makes me giggle a bit,, The only time you should clean out is right before a colonoscopy...
Must be a California thing,, like,,OooOooHhhaa yeah,, lets go get enema's It will be great,,PMSL

You want a good healthy clean out, eat lots of spinach, tomato's and at least 4 kinds of beans, black beans, red beans, etc, then Hydrate up and stay close to the toilet the next few days,, THAT is a clean out...

Last edited by osco53; 05-02-15 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-02-15, 07:15 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yep, I clean my chains with juice on a regular basis and am fast.
Old 05-02-15, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe Cross and Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead....

The dieticians hate this guy - I found this film to be an inspiration

Old 05-03-15, 05:29 AM

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Sure, and I will again- when my next colonoscopy is scheduled.
Old 05-03-15, 05:55 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Comp

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do a bit of reading on the old internet and see what BS these things are. Was at the pharmacy the other day and seems some guy was in getting the stuff for the big clean out for a colonoscopy, had gotten his dates mixed up and had done the purge the week before and now had to do it all over again.
Old 05-03-15, 07:27 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Must be a California thing,, like,,OooOooHhhaa yeah,, lets go get enema's It will be great,,PMSL

You want a good healthy clean out, eat lots of spinach, tomato's and at least 4 kinds of beans, black beans, red beans, etc, then Hydrate up and stay close to the toilet the next few days,, THAT is a clean out...
Around here, that's called a "Blow out!"
Old 05-03-15, 09:07 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Our bodies are self cleaning. That is what you liver and kidneys do. What do people think a juice cleanse would do anyway? Toxins don't build in the system to be flushed out with some juice. And our system doesn't have a reset button.
Thank you!

Your colon is made to hold and store waste. Why some people feel they need to keep "Cleansing" it is beyond me. There are no juices out there that are going to do anything more than give you the runs. The whole Cleanse movement (pardon my pun) is doing nothing but cleansing your wallet.
Old 05-03-15, 09:29 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by jeromephone
Was at the pharmacy the other day and seems some guy was in getting the stuff for the big clean out for a colonoscopy, had gotten his dates mixed up and had done the purge the week before and now had to do it all over again.
HA! best colonoscopy story ever.

Yeah, cleansing is BS.... maybe not quite as bad as homeopathy.
Old 05-03-15, 10:11 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I used to do a 24+ hour juice and water diet (unlimited amounts of each so I never thought of it as a "fast") after my 5 day carbo loading routine when I raced in the '70s. This was only for big races and I might do this once or twice a year. Say the race start was Saturday. Last solid meal would be a carbo packer Thursday night. Then it was any fruit juice and all the water I wanted. (But no juices with sucrose were allowed.)

I would wake up Saturday morning feeling completely on top of the world. GI tract clean! But it wasn't all roses. The first two hours of racing I wouldn't be at my fastest. Carbo load bog. But from there, I just got stronger. And I had little need to eat.

An aside that might be controversial. I read the book "Food for Fitness" by Rodale Press (Bicycling magazine's publisher) in 1977 when I was racing. I changed my eating habits a lot based on that book and raced a season at a level I never dreamed was possible for this body and felt radically better than I had ever known. There was a section on wheat flours that talked about the effects of the bleaching process. Chilling. Described opening GI tracts in autopsies of people who ate bleached flour and seeing them completely coated with a paste. Also that the food industries loved bleached flour because silos of it could be stored for long periods of time and cockroaches and the like wouldn't touch it. If cockroaches won't touch it, do I want to? To get back to the thread topic; a juice fast might be a real asset for those who eat bleached flour to help clean the GI. Then again. maybe the liquids just wash by that paste like it was paint. I don't know.

Ben
Old 05-03-15, 10:54 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ball Bearing
Joe Cross and Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead....

The dieticians hate this guy - I found this film to be an inspiration

Yeah, that's what got me thinking...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-03-15, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that's what got me thinking...
Seeing him transform his body to a lean and healthy one does get a person's attention. The thing that gets me is when he is able to give up the many prescription pills and seeing his doctors tell him to keep doing whatever it is he is doing based on their tests.

I have found that the people who are the most against what they consider wacky diets are the ones who take the most medications. I understand why they feel dependent on the pills, but I don't understand the resistance to trying to heal themselves by such a simple method such as a juice diet.
Old 05-03-15, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The juicer guys seems like a nice guy who managed to lose weight. He was seriously motivated. He continues to be motivated as he remains a spokesman for the diet. And he has a knack for being inspirational. The problem is that the movie makes incorrect fact claims and is filled with pseudoscience. Terms like reboot and detox are red flags. Tell me, what do they mean? It creates the impression that the body is a dirty thing to be cleaned periodically at some unpleasant price.

Why remove the fiber? Fiber cleans the pipes and helps you feel full. On juice you lose weight if there is a calorie deficit by consuming your own fat, muscle and bone. It has nothing to do with no fiber and everything to do with low calories and lack of protein.

How about throwing some nuts and beans in the juicer? And throw that pulp back in the juice. Better yet, just use a blender. Maybe then it wouldn't be so bad. Like V-8 without the salt.

The old advice is still sound but is not sexy or dramatic and lacks placebo: Eat food, mostly plants, and not too much.

Now that I spit all over juicing, I'll back off a bit. Short term it isn't going to hurt and may be motivating. I am strong! I can do this! I can change my life! Fooling ourselves is a survival tool.
Old 05-03-15, 08:33 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Evidence based? Not so much.
Old 05-04-15, 05:47 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
There was a section on wheat flours that talked about the effects of the bleaching process. Chilling. Described opening GI tracts in autopsies of people who ate bleached flour and seeing them completely coated with a paste. Also that the food industries loved bleached flour because silos of it could be stored for long periods of time and cockroaches and the like wouldn't touch it. If cockroaches won't touch it, do I want to?
It's worse than that. Studies worldwide on the effects of "enriched" flour on the food supply. If you have an old copy of "The Joy of Cooking" on the shelf, look in the back for the chapter on wheat flour. They explain what happened around 1900.

My wife and I have been milling our own grains for about 10 years now. Wheat, millet, lentils, beans, barley, spelt... We bake everything from scratch. The difference has been incredible. I'll never go back.

And I don't (with rare exceptions) eat any bread product for which I don't know the origins. Other people who produce food products...they're not your friends.
Old 05-08-15, 07:35 AM

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Agreed, there is no need to cleanse a colon (unless prepping for a colonoscopy).
Old 05-08-15, 08:16 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
'A lean body Is a healthy body', We all know that to be true right ! ..
Except it doesn't seem to be true. Although the propaganda certainly promotes this thinking it confounds researchers that a little excess body weight actually seems to promote longevity and health. I am not talking about 60+ athletes, or obesity at the other end, but a lean older body doesn't seem to prove out as the best approach to a long and healthy life.

I'm into year two of intermittent fasting, it works very well for me. Unfortunately, you can 'get away' with eating and drinking to excess when you do eat, which puts a lot of stress on the digestive system. This year I am going to concentrate on eating healthy in my window. I'd say the biggest benefit of IMing is getting away from the insulin roller coaster, which makes me think sweet juice-only diets are just about the worse thing you could do to yourself.
Old 05-08-15, 10:35 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

no
Old 05-08-15, 10:46 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
I have cleansed many times, but the only time I've done so by choice was for a colonoscopy.

Count me among those that think most "cleansing" and "detox" routines are a sham.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.