Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What have you found on your ride(s) along the way? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1011074-what-have-you-found-your-ride-s-along-way.html)

Digital Gee 05-30-15 01:11 AM

What have you found on your ride(s) along the way?

I remember a post like this from years back and it was immensely interesting to learn what people have found lying along the road or path as they rode by that they brought home. I got to thinking about it when i passed by a roll of discarded chicken wire that I almost stopped to retrieve, until I realized how ridiculous it would be to try to balance that with one hand while holding the handlebar with the other.

I've never been fortunate to find anything terribly expensive, but I have found perfectly good tools, a bike water bottle, and some loose change. So let's hear it - what unusual thing have you found on one of your rides?

Looigi 05-30-15 04:40 AM

...many things: Challenges, exhilaration, disappointment, frustration, solitude, peace, contentment...

dedhed 05-30-15 10:22 AM

I picked up a Domino's insulated delivery bag the other day. Took it back to Domino's and got a free pizza. My best find was a Milwaukee 1/2" corded drill.
I once found 4 gallon cans of Coleman fuel. It was close to home so I made two trips for that. Lots of tools, Both of my chain master link pliers are found needle nose I ground the tips on. See plenty of change but only stop for folding money.

John E 05-30-15 11:00 AM

Nice (SnapOn) wrench sockets. Zipties.

Digital Gee 05-30-15 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Looigi (Post 17850130)
...many things: Challenges, exhilaration, disappointment, frustration, solitude, peace, contentment...

Was it difficult to carry those things while riding? :roflmao2:

tg16 05-30-15 11:21 AM

I did find some firewood nicely cut and marked the spot. I came back and picked it up later.

I almost always see a young, 6-8 foot alligator; however, I never try to pick it up.

Digital Gee 05-30-15 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tg16 (Post 17850871)
I did find some firewood nicely cut and marked the spot. I came back and picked it up later.

I almost always see a young, 6-8 foot alligator; however, I never try to pick it up.

I would think you could make a great saddle, or panniers out of one of those alligators...

randyjawa 05-30-15 01:36 PM

In all the years in the saddle, the best find ever was in Jamaica, about eight years ago - a Jamaican Ratchet knife, lating right in the middle of the road, as I started my morning ride. It was, and still is, in great shape. These days, that old knife is a constant companion in my back pack, along with a magnifying glass, reading glasses and ear protection, just in case Canada decides to be Canada).

osco53 05-30-15 05:07 PM

When on my Mountain bike I'm very focused on the ride, I don't let things distract me. But when I stop I pic up any trash I find.

As for good stuff,, nope I ride in rather remote places I guess. Only thing riders out here loose are water bottles, I carry them to the trail head, In the trash they go.

rydabent 05-30-15 05:21 PM

A back pack with a $1000 lap top. Returned it but no reward!!! College professor.

catgita 05-30-15 05:32 PM

Two items stand out. First, when I was a kid, I really wanted to put a front brake on my racing BMX bike (that was cutting edge thinking at the time), but had no money. Then I found a $20 in the street. Cool!

The other was road kill, but not the usual; it was a tiger shark. It must have jumped out of a fishermans pickup.

osco53 05-30-15 05:33 PM

Sharknado,, the movie !

philbob57 05-30-15 06:27 PM

There's a cleat cover in the bike lane on the Southbound side of Sheridan Road by Plaza Del Lago in Wilmette, IL. Been there for a few days. Maybe the owner will read this.... I ride toe clips, so I wouldn't pick it up.

nullshark 05-31-15 10:14 PM

A nail in the alley. I found it with my bare foot. Still have the little white scar from 24 years ago. :P

woodcraft 06-01-15 12:01 AM

I picked up a seat bag the other week- I thought it might belong to one of my group up ahead.

Turned out to have a tubular, Pitstop, & CO2 set up.

Posted to try to find the owner, but no response.

Used the Pitstop (inflator/sealant), & carrying the tire as a spare.

Have also found a joint, an I-phone, various tools, tire pump, binoculars, money, allen wrench sets (at least two), gloves, walk-man, beer, and of course water bottles.

DBrown9383 06-01-15 05:52 AM

I found a wooden "yard sale" sign in the ditch along side the road. It was great because we were planning a yard sale in just a few weeks. I had to go back with the car to get it though. When I picked it up it was covered with ants on the underside and I cut myself on a rusty wood screw trying to brush them off but I saved a dollar!

GlennR 06-01-15 06:57 AM

On a number of group rides I had to remind some riders that we do not stop at garage sales.

Glenn123 06-01-15 07:55 PM

When I lived in Germany, I would pick up discarded bicycles on my mountain bike. Take them home, salvage what I could and build budget bikes from the parts. Gave away the completed projects to other service men stationed there. The last one I had, I rode to the airport and left it in a bike rack to be claimed by whoever wanted it. Got on a plane to the states.

Outnumbered 06-01-15 08:16 PM

A body in a front yard at 515AM during my commute, called local PD turns out it was a drunk from early morning wife threw him out went for a walk with bottle passed out on front lawn under bushes.

Biker395 06-01-15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Outnumbered (Post 17857532)
A body in a front yard at 515AM during my commute, called local PD turns out it was a drunk from early morning wife threw him out went for a walk with bottle passed out on front lawn under bushes.

Hard to top that one. lol

DBrown9383 06-02-15 08:05 AM

I think part of the reason I'm riding more solo now is because if my wife sees a yard sale on a ride she WILL stop. She considers our yard sale this last weekend a success. We sold $150 worth of junk and she bought $175 worth of junk from the neighbors yard sales.

KenshiBiker 06-02-15 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by oldnslow2 (Post 17855065)
On a number of group rides I had to remind some riders that we do not stop at garage sales.

Originally Posted by DBrown9383 (Post 17858423)
I think part of the reason I'm riding more solo now is because if my wife sees a yard sale on a ride she WILL stop. She considers our yard sale this last weekend a success. We sold $150 worth of junk and she bought $175 worth of junk from the neighbors yard sales.

I LOL'd :roflmao2:.

Outnumbered 06-02-15 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DBrown9383 (Post 17858423)

That would be true for my wife also. Our every other year yard sale consists of items she bought at yard sales the prior two years.

JohnDThompson 06-02-15 02:30 PM

I found this along the bike path last winter. I think one of the local bald eagles dropped it:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/lunch.jpg

rider5200 06-02-15 04:10 PM

A truck -- a Toyota pickup. It had crashed into a ravine along the side of the road. I was riding up through a canyon in the foothills near my home. If you were driving, you could not see down into the ravine, but from atop a bike on the side of the road, you could see it. I called it in and the local FD came and took a look, but there was no one in it or anywhere around. They towed it out of the ravine and I continued with my ride. On other rides I've found change, hats, a bra, some hand tools and a phone case.