Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

spin classes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

spin classes

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spin classes

I am trying to get back into riding after a year off and have been going to spin classes. THey seem to kick my butt and I feel like I am getting a good workout but when I got back onto the bike I did not feel like they helped at all. I have been doing 2-3 times per week for a month or so and wonder what others have experienced. I may be cheating too much on the spin where I can't on the bike
Old 05-30-15, 07:25 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Spin has been a great resource for me, for many years. I gravitate to class/instructors that are cycling oriented, stay away from the 'hover girls'. Other times I'll take a Sufferfest video with me and do my own thing. Spin improves my hill climbing capability, dramatically, but I work hard at generating those watts each session.

You get out what you put in.
Old 05-30-15, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A month is not a huge amount of time. Spin classes will absolutely help but in the summer I can't imagine them. I spin all winter and I'm sure it has made a huge difference in maintaining fitness and allowing me to start the summer already "broken in". My butt still has to get used to my road saddle but that's nothing.
Old 05-30-15, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Raleigh POS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I combine spin classes with a formal training plan that I also do on the spin bike because it has a power meter and heart monitor (I use my own chest strap) and keeps track of my stats. Training plan: Carmichael's 11 week TCTP.
Old 05-30-15, 10:24 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So, is the Spin class full of Younger Women? that is its own reward.
Old 05-30-15, 10:27 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I also didn't find spin class very useful. The problem is the heavy flywheel, which does not imitate well the pedaling resistance of a bike on the road.

Get yourself a set of rollers with resistance. That'll be the best fitness investment you'll ever make. Been using my set for almost 20 years.
Old 05-30-15, 10:29 AM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by jeromephone
I am trying to get back into riding after a year off and have been going to spin classes. THey seem to kick my butt and I feel like I am getting a good workout but when I got back onto the bike I did not feel like they helped at all. I have been doing 2-3 times per week for a month or so and wonder what others have experienced. I may be cheating too much on the spin where I can't on the bike
Do your spin bikes have a power meter? How many watts are you pushing through the class? If you are just spinning away at a low resistance, then you have your answer. FWIW, I did spinning this winter and I thought it helped my outdoor cycling a little.
Old 05-30-15, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Spin has been a great resource for me, for many years. I gravitate to class/instructors that are cycling oriented, stay away from the 'hover girls'. Other times I'll take a Sufferfest video with me and do my own thing. Spin improves my hill climbing capability, dramatically, but I work hard at generating those watts each session.

You get out what you put in.
I absolutely LOVE SUFFERFEST!!! I mean the SUFFERFEST video and philosophy have literally changed my life! I have my own spin bike and used the Sufferfest video over the winter. I also have a fat bike so i did some outdoor riding as well... The Sufferfest videos made me a much stronger rider. Last Fall i was about 100 pounds heavier than i am today... Last Fall i couldn't climb a flight of stairs! So far this year i've completed 3 road races and 1 MTB race and i have a road race tomorrow!

And agree a spin class is only as good as what you put into it! I do an actual spin class as well... I push myself to my limit each and every class or SufferFest session!
Old 05-30-15, 09:39 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by scrming
I absolutely LOVE SUFFERFEST!!! I mean the SUFFERFEST video and philosophy have literally changed my life! I have my own spin bike and used the Sufferfest video over the winter. I also have a fat bike so i did some outdoor riding as well... The Sufferfest videos made me a much stronger rider. Last Fall i was about 100 pounds heavier than i am today... Last Fall i couldn't climb a flight of stairs! So far this year i've completed 3 road races and 1 MTB race and i have a road race tomorrow!

And agree a spin class is only as good as what you put into it! I do an actual spin class as well... I push myself to my limit each and every class or SufferFest session!
Angels or Hunted 30 minutes before spin class begins, let the class catch up to you, use the last 30 minutes of the class for "active recovery". Thankfully, the instructors at my gym are pretty cool; support the ride your ride philosophy.

The spin bikes I use have power meters, it does put things in perspective. Watching cadence against wattage output is a wake-up call.
Old 05-31-15, 04:02 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Florida, I can ride year around.

Would get Instantly bored in a spin class, or a gym,
Old 05-31-15, 05:08 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Comp

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikes have rpm and heartrate that links up with your heart rate device no wattage. I guess you get out of it what you put in so I will try to keep both the spin and biking going. Yes they are all younger than me
Old 06-03-15, 01:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5fx, Specialized Roubaix Comp, Allez , Create 2013, Dutch sit up and beg, Mountain bike,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode first then thought at 50 yrs old to join a gym to improve my fitness , I thought regularly doing 30 to 50 miles it would be a ride in the park it wasn't took me weeks to get my mojo working have since done average 4 a weekend with two back to backs .
Once the weather improves will ride more and more with a 1500 mile ride planned to begin mid June two weeks time on a singlespeed
Old 06-03-15, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
When I was riding a lot I did spin classes over the winter in NJ on days I couldn't ride outside. The bikes used were Keiser M3's with magnetic resistance. I ended up buying one for home use. I thought most of the instructors were mediocre to terrible, but I loved putting in a massive amount of work over a short period of time. Spinning improved my hill climbing ability and overall fitness dramatically. It's really an individual thing.

I also did yoga and pilates classes. I still enjoy yoga classes.
Old 06-03-15, 02:36 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
At this time of year, there's no way I'll be riding indoors. The season is too short already!
Old 06-07-15, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Nothing can simulate the 'ol wind in the face for building up power