Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Prostate cancer, zero T (testosterone), biking question

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-05-15, 07:27 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 293 Posts

Couple months ago a TRUS biopsy yields a Gleason 9. Opted for bilateral orchiectomy for 95% reduction plus drug. Oncologly was going to contact but biking buddy told me about focal cryoablation. New 3D-prostate mapping biopsy yields Gleason 10. Cryo last Tuesday so still recovering but pretty sure no testosterone is starting to show its ugly head. very weak Always a balls to the walls rider but now lacking them I seem to be going thru the change.

Seriously wondering what anybody out there who has dealt with prostate cancer can tell me about things that might have helped in getting back on the bike with some strength. I will show my face at the LBS ride tomorrow via driving but hope to be back on the saddle next week.

Much appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-06-15, 05:46 AM
fishboy316 

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Don't know much about prostate cancer but I do wish you a Good and Full recovery! Any time they toss out the C word it is scary.
Prayers!
Bill
Old 06-06-15, 05:55 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Good luck with your recovery. If you have to switch to a less aggressive riding style you may fine a new world of enjoyment in it. Just a matter of oulook. You can still get the same health benefits just different factors to enjoy.
Old 06-06-15, 09:35 AM
SurfNTurf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by SurfNTurf; 06-10-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 09:55 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked 490 Times in 296 Posts
As a sailor, we find the wind is frequently blowing in the wrong direction for where you wish to go. It is then necessary to to choose a course that allows progress, even it quite slow. Good luck with finding your best course. My personal mantra, as a 76 y.o. man, is to do as much as I can as long as I can.

Last edited by berner; 06-06-15 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-15, 12:29 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Thanks for the encouragement.

Originally Posted by SurfNSPIC View Post
I have heard the number 1 in 10 men develop Prostater Cancer in their life time. My buddy is fighting it now, he does not ride a bicycle. His cause of prostate cancer was exposure to Agent Orange in the Repulbic of Vietnam.

He decided to fight his battle with radiation, and radioactive implants. One of the complication of the implants is that he need to go __ __about 15 or more times a day.

Bicycling is not bigger than your life, if you indeed have been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, find the BEST UROLOGIST you can as doctors are like T-Bone Steaks. So are just Steaks, and other are U.S.D.A. Prime Choice.

I personally went threw a Prostate Cancer scare where my P.S.A. was almost 8.0, and my pee stream went doo doo. I went into renal failure, had an indwelling cathater in my you know what almost 8 months.

Finally had the roto-rooter surgury, cathater out, no prostate cancer. Told to take it easy 3 monrth post surgury. Now I am starting to ride a little again

BTW the first Urologist I saw was what I call a total jerk, who I did not trust. He was not a good communicater, refused to answer questions, and I said have a nice day as I would not trust him with my life. If your uroligist is not some one you trust with your life, find one who you can trust with your life.
I had Gleason 10 engulfed right side and have Gleason 6 left. My doctor is the best and so is his biopsy interpreter. This Dr. does 70+ biopsy cores.

Managed a total turn around last night. The indwelling catheter went in last week on Tuesday during the 3+hour procedure. Had to have it taken out this Wednesday evening one day early because I could not unblock it. VERY rough Thursday night, Friday and up until 4AM this morning. Decided to make it to the LBS for ride today. Ordered the 2 cheek Easy Seat overnight on Thursday so put it on this AM at 0430 and rode the bike. A bit weird but worked.

5 miles from house to store. Started off with the group and did my own thing for the most part. The ride has a 28 mile loop and a 32 mile loop. I turned around at mile 11.5 and the short loop riders caught me at mile 16 so I drafted them until mile 21. Their pace was an even 20mph average. After a light they sprinted and I fell off then the store's owner passes me, asks if I have anything left, hook on and he gets me to 24.6mph before I start to weird out. 22 miles for my ride. 10 miles after leaving store to gas station. Another 10 miles to friend Scotty to look at his bent then head home. 55.5 miles total.

Wrist doctor appointment on the 15th to schedule a total joint replacement. After that right shoulder appointment for total shoulder joint replacement. Not touching the knees. Not a pain pill kind of guy and even the oxcy does nothing for the shoulder. Lots of discomfort riding my 40lb hybrid today.

I'm not one to go easy so pressing on to get max out in the condition I am in will be protocol. Will update as rides continue. I think I am an experiment of sorts since urologist has never had someone like me.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 06-25-15 at 03:25 PM. Reason: catheter removal error
Old 06-06-15, 12:30 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Open your mind...

Start Thinking outside the box..
Death Stalks us all but before we are caught It's what we do that defines us

Electric assist SPORTS COMMUTER trike III - with mesh seat | Flying Furniture Cycles

https://www.electricbike.com/recumbent/

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 12:51 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 201 Posts
I had my cancerous prostate removed through laproscopic surgery in 2011 - at age 53.

While my annual PSA test was not 'high' - in fact it was still in the low-normal range, but had doubled in just one year. My primary care physician advised a retest in six weeks. Higher still. Needle Biopsy confirmed cancer in one half, and none in the other. Initial doc wanted to try cryo-freezing (his specialty), and did not want to answer my questions, and in fact seemed put out that we asked any questions at all. Time for a second opinion. Second doc (Dr. Lee Ponsky, head of Urology at University Hospitals Seidman Cancer Center) did not push any treatment above all others, and is one of the top guys in Cleveland . I weighed my options, and elected for a total prostatectomy, scheduled out in another six weeks because of Dr's schedule.

Everything went smoothly, and post op exam showed cancer throughout the prostate, and a Gleason score of 8-9. Yes, it was fast growing. Glad I caught it when I did. No complications, no 'leaking' or urinary 'urgencies'.

It turns out (unknown to me) that Prostate Cancer runs in the family - on my mother's side. Her dad died of it in '62 (before many of the newer treatments were available), and all of my male cousins on that side have been diagnosed with prostate cancer to some degree. I'm the only one that elected to get rid of the ticking time bomb. The others opted for 'seeds'. The problem with radiation or seed implants is that it literally cooks the surrounding tissue, and limits surgical options later.

As for riding, I have not done much in the past couple of years, but it has nothing to do with the prostate surgery.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Old 06-06-15, 12:53 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
I had a Gleason score of 8 with the cancer about to break out of the prostate wall. I also have chronic myeloid leukemia which kept me from having any type of invasive procedure done for the prostate cancer. I couldn't come off of my medication for the leukemia and a side effect of the medication is that it acts as a blood thinner. My only option at the time was direct beam radiation, 5 days a week for 5 weeks, followed by brachytherapy (77 isotopes) and accompanied with hormone therapy to kill the production of testosterone. With all that radiation, I was pretty much wiped out on a daily basis. It took a while for me to get back to where I was before the effects of the radiation. The best advice I can give you is to let your body dictate how slow or how fast it will allow you to get back into the swing of things. Don't rush it, it will come back to you. You may not be able to ride balls to the wall like you did, but riding to enjoy the ride and the scenery isn't as bad as you may think. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-06-15, 02:51 PM
SurfNTurf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by SurfNTurf; 06-10-15 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-06-15, 05:33 PM
OldTryGuy

Going to try friend's older Tailwind bent tomorrow. Rode it by his house and felt good so pedal change for my SPD sandals, seat and bar adjust. He is heading north and then west for summer.
Old 06-07-15, 11:06 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Going to try friend's older Tailwind bent tomorrow. Rode it by his house and felt good so pedal change for my SPD sandals, seat and bar adjust. He is heading north and then west for summer.
I didn't change out pedals, and thank goodness. 5 miles to Trail Head from friend's house and knew within 1/4 mile the recumbent was not for me. 5 miles back to his house while group was out on the ride, loaded it in the van and headed home. Might give it another try tomorrow but pretty sure it is a no-go.

Yesterday's ride was WAY TOO MUCH and I felt it last night and today. Going to back way off on expectations and I have no problem with that. Again, the zero testosterone has to have an effect on me so I will search online for as much info as possible.

Using drugs to minimize testosterone is not as effective as a bilateral orchiectomy but I wanted it gone for best outcome.
Old 06-07-15, 11:14 AM
OldTryGuy

Sounds like you medical care provider is very good. Remember there are no dumb questions, and if you do not understand something medically ask the doctor. If their explaination is too complexed, or to much medicalease for you to understand. As for a laymen explanation.

Good luck with your recovery. I recently had my 90 day post Helop (T.U.R.P.). visit. Was told by my surgeon I really did well, and recover was text book.

My reply was I asked a lot of questions, drove you nuts with questions. So the battle was easy as I was prepared for what I went threw before, during, and post surgical.
He has patients going to him from around the world. His biopsy man only does prostate biopsy and has done tens of thousands. VERY easy to talk with.
Old 06-07-15, 11:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I had a Gleason score of 8 with the cancer about to break out of the prostate wall. I also have chronic myeloid leukemia which kept me from having any type of invasive procedure done for the prostate cancer. I couldn't come off of my medication for the leukemia and a side effect of the medication is that it acts as a blood thinner. My only option at the time was direct beam radiation, 5 days a week for 5 weeks, followed by brachytherapy (77 isotopes) and accompanied with hormone therapy to kill the production of testosterone. With all that radiation, I was pretty much wiped out on a daily basis. It took a while for me to get back to where I was before the effects of the radiation. The best advice I can give you is to let your body dictate how slow or how fast it will allow you to get back into the swing of things. Don't rush it, it will come back to you. You may not be able to ride balls to the wall like you did, but riding to enjoy the ride and the scenery isn't as bad as you may think. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Rethink future after yesterday and today. My primary is best friend and looking out for me like a mother hen. Wednesday when catheter gave me the issue I called her and she said to get my but to her house. This was 800pm and she was having dinner.
Old 06-07-15, 11:22 AM
SurfNTurf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by SurfNTurf; 06-10-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-07-15, 11:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Does this doctor practice out of Mayo Clinic in Florida?
Adventura Hospital and Medical Center, Fl.
Old 06-08-15, 08:26 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
I'm 4 weeks post urinary blockage and prostrate green light laser surgery and can feel your frustration! I wore a Foley catheter for the month of April before surgery, was in considerable pain and was able to do NOTHING. Felt incredible weak after I started slowly getting back to biking. I am amazed how quickly you "lose it" at our age!!! I'm giving myself one more month to really recover.

I know that it's not easy to go slow and be patient after such an active life style. After surgery I found that it was easier to go for a walk with my honey for exercise. Much less strain on my "lower unit"!

Get well soon and we'll be thinking of you!
Old 06-08-15, 07:07 PM
bob51

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have always been an avid cyclist. Three years ago at age 61 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I chose to have prostate removed. It took me 6 weeks to get back on a bike and I started very slowly to rebuild strength with lots of short rides. For the last couple of years I have managed to find the time to ride on the average of 2000 miles, most of it on a road bike. Prostate cancer does not have to stop anyone from returning to cycling.
Old 06-08-15, 09:08 PM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing compared to the big "C" but after kidney stone surgery and having a stent between bladder and kidney. No way was riding a bike (or anything else) on the menu. I admire the courage of those who have posted here.
Old 06-09-15, 04:25 AM
Mikehs

Bikes: Many All >40 years old

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 63 had my prostate taken out at 58. was in very good shape before the surgery and got back on the bike about six weeks later. For the past two years we have and are living in Oxfordshire UK. Commute by bike all year when I am not on a business trip. Round trip 32 miles.

Any body reading the 50+ has to accept they are no longer 30. So maybe just a bit slower than 30 years ago and a bit longer to recover from long rides. Then again I enjoy what I see/smell and hear much more as I ride along than I did when I was younger.
Old 06-15-15, 03:26 PM
jkspokehead

Bikes: raleigh professional Scott 20 2015 speedster specialized FSR mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Radiation for prostate cancer

Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and have a Gleason score of 8 as well. I decided on radiation and hormone treatment. I have started the hormone injections and my PSA has dropped from 6 to 2.9. When my PSA reaches zero than I start my radiation treatment. I haven't been told if I will have brachytherapy after the beam radiation. Were you able to ride your bike at all during the month or so that you had radiation?
Old 06-15-15, 08:01 PM
mystang52

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On another chat room my name is Slotriathl8. I do a few sprint Tri's a year, and I'm in the back of the pack (way back). I also had prostate cancer, and opted for surgery to remove it back in May 2013. I was back on the bike 2 months later, and did a Tri 4 1/2 months post-op. Everyone recovers differently. My doctor knew my strong desire to get back on the bike, and the flip side was I heeded my doctor's advice as to when to resume.....and also to ease back into cycling.
I'm still doing Tri's so maybe you can take some encouragement from that. If I recall from some of your other posts you're heckuva better triathlete than I, so I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly.
Old 06-16-15, 12:45 AM
Beic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkspokehead View Post
Were you able to ride your bike at all during the month or so that you had radiation?
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and opted for hormones and radiotherapy as yourself and finished my treatment 3 years yesterday.

I'm self employed and could not take the time away from work recovering from a prostate removal operation.

I had 8 weeks radiotherapy and worked as normal through the treatment. I found the hormones gave the most side effects.

Tiredeness was an issue during and after the treatment, I also put on about 14lb.

When my treatment finished I went on a two mile cliff hike and small climb on a fishing expedition.

I never asked if I could cycle after the treatment, I just got on with things as normal as they were before the treatment.

My PSA hovers around the 0.35 -0.40 range.

Last edited by Beic; 06-16-15 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 05:03 AM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
On another chat room my name is Slotriathl8. I do a few sprint Tri's a year, and I'm in the back of the pack (way back). I also had prostate cancer, and opted for surgery to remove it back in May 2013. I was back on the bike 2 months later, and did a Tri 4 1/2 months post-op. Everyone recovers differently. My doctor knew my strong desire to get back on the bike, and the flip side was I heeded my doctor's advice as to when to resume.....and also to ease back into cycling.
I'm still doing Tri's so maybe you can take some encouragement from that. If I recall from some of your other posts you're heckuva better triathlete than I, so I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly.
Fairlawn....old biking stomping grounds way back when

With my procedure, return time was simply waiting for catheter to be out, pretty much no restrictions. Problem was I over-did it with the 55.5 miler 11 days out. Caused major shock on my whole body. While camping this past weekend I managed to get out for some 5K walks but exhaustion set in at 1.5 miles and had to back way down. Heat didn't help either. Did a 5K last evening and have already improved, so much so that I picked up the pace for the last mile and didn't die. Might hit the county pool today, 3 weeks out, for some laps. Still planning on another Ironman before I give in to this body totally breaking down. Had ortho appointment yesterday and decided to put off wrist surgery for the time being.

Good luck with your continued triathlons.
Old 06-16-15, 06:08 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by jkspokehead View Post
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and have a Gleason score of 8 as well. I decided on radiation and hormone treatment. I have started the hormone injections and my PSA has dropped from 6 to 2.9. When my PSA reaches zero than I start my radiation treatment. I haven't been told if I will have brachytherapy after the beam radiation. Were you able to ride your bike at all during the month or so that you had radiation?
My diagnosis and radiation treatment started before I decided to get back into riding. Like you, I started on the hormone treatment first, but they didn't wait until the PSA dropped before starting the radiation. I think the reason for this was due to my leukemia. Since I often become anemic from it, I think they waited until my red cells and hemoglobin were at a decent level and started the radiation, since radiation is also known to cause anemia. I was doing the abdominal hormone shots every three months and taking the hormone tablet daily and did that for three years. The radiation started about a month after my diagnosis and the brachytherapy was done one month after ending the beam radiation. Had I been cycling at that point in time, I don't think I would have done much while undergoing the beam radiation treatments. Between that and the anemia from the leukemia, I was pretty much wiped out, energy wise, and was lucky to have a job where I sat down for 8 hours. However, when I did start riding, I was still on the hormone treatments and continued them for a full year afterward. The hormone treatment, by itself, did not interfere with my riding so that is something that you can look forward to.

With that said, and looking back at the situation, I think that had I been into cycling at that point in my life, I would have done as many short, low intensity trainer rides as I could. While I'm not a big fan of using a trainer, you would still be home in the event that you should start to get tired. If nothing else, using the trainer would keep you from getting stiff and/or lose interest; which is easy to do after prolonged periods of being off the bike. The advantage that you and I have/had is that there is no surgery and nothing has to heal before being cleared to ride again. If anything, you may be derailed from riding while doing the radiation. Since it effects everyone differently, you may not get as wiped as I did and may be able to do some rides if you feel up to it. Just don't try and do what you normally do until you know just how the radiation will effect your body. I hope this answers your question and that you have a great outcome from the treatment you opted for.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.