Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

aerobics and running vs. cycling

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

aerobics and running vs. cycling

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-15, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,678 Posts
An ex-runner bike racing friend of mine used to say, when asked about running races versus bike races, "Running: internal injuries; biking: external injuries."

I've run maybe as much as 10 miles in total in my 63 years on the planet.
Old 06-13-15, 05:37 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If you can manage both, run (especially over irregular ground) and cycle. Although both meet aerobic fitness requirements, they benefit different muscle groups, plus there's bone-strengthening advantage of running (although you could add in weight-training instead).
Old 06-14-15, 01:12 AM

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I was a cyclist first, then took to running in my 20s. I loved running and was good at it but it ruined my feet. Today I can only run 2 miles before foot pain stops me in my tracks. There were other, temporary running injuries too. In fact I started racing bicycles while recovering from a stress fracture in one ankle that was caused by running. It is all good in the end because I love cycling too and can still do that pretty well.

Both running and cycling offer similar rewards, IMO. Of course I can find contrast: Cycling is colorful and exciting. Running is simple and freeing. Cycling requires more hours of training to be competitive. For a runner, especially a distance runner, training can be very convenient.
Old 06-14-15, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After too much abuse from younger days, no matter how much I try, even short runs result in achy and stiff knees. Therefore, I bike. I love running though, and wish that I still could.
Old 06-19-15, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Dew, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
If you can manage both, run (especially over irregular ground) and cycle. Although both meet aerobic fitness requirements, they benefit different muscle groups, plus there's bone-strengthening advantage of running (although you could add in weight-training instead).
I totally agree. According to the Ortho guys, I shouldn't be able to run . . . but I started doing Triathlons again so I gotta run. My knees actually hurt less overall since I "restarted" running about 15 months ago. My body seems to like the balance of biking, swimming, and running. I do emphasis more time on the bike and swim, and run fairly minimal (about 35-45 mi/month). I also try to run really light on my feet.
Old 06-19-15, 01:28 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"Running: internal injuries; biking: external injuries."
+1, Road rashes heal , blown out joints need replacement Surgery
Old 06-19-15, 03:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Most of the people I see running have pain on their faces, while most of the people cycling have smiles.
Old 06-24-15, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
True, but they are also non-weight bearing which does little for bone health.
2 out of 3 aint bad. Walking IS a weight bearing exercise. It is a recommended activity for those diagnosed with Osteopenia and Osteoporosis.
Is it as weight "bearing" as some other exercises? No. But it is.
Old 06-24-15, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
Most of the people I see running have pain on their faces, while most of the people cycling have smiles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
what-but-i-am-smiling.jpg (19.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-26-15, 07:53 PM

Bikes: Trek FX 7.5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 61 with 15 marathons and countless 5K's/10K's behind me. Was pretty serious (best marathon 3:06 and best 5K 17:30, all at age 28+) 36 years of running have made my leg muscles sore if I do two consecutive 5+ mile runs. So I incorporated biking about five years ago, and have found it to be a great cross-training sport. During summers, I do way more biking than running and spinning during New England winters.

YMMV.
Old 06-26-15, 09:01 PM

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
While in college, I dated a marathon runner. She talked me into running--- my back hurt, my feet hurt, my knees hurt. She told me that If I could ever break three miles, all that would go away. After a couple of years, I was able to do 6-7 miles--- my back, feet, and knees still hurt, even though she was coaching me on shoes, gait, and what not. I finally just went back to cycling. To me, running is BORING. Not to mention that, out here, you can run for two hours and looking at the scenery, you haven't moved at all! Between kickboxing bag workouts and riding, I get enough cardio, though I wish my wind would improve faster. I lift once a week, with kettle bells and/or a Total Gym, and we do some push-ups, crunches, medicine ball routines, and light high-rep weights in between combos as we work on the bag. I wouldn't swap any of it for running. Running sucks... unless there's a bear.
Old 06-26-15, 09:22 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I struggle with my weight and worry that I might do damage running when I am at my heavier weight. I don't have those same worries when cycling. I enjoy both activities. But I can spend the best part of the day enjoying the sun and scenery miles and miles from home. But running never gets me out of the greater neighborhood.

There can be a real thrill with the speeds generated on a bicycle. Running can never capture that.
Old 06-26-15, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I don't know about the rest of you, but at this age I can get a better cardio workout from cycling than from running, because of orthopedic limitations.

I ran the annual Triton 5K yesterday, a flat mostly-asphalt / some-concrete tour of our campus (UC San Diego). I placed 4th out of 18 in my men age 61 to 66 bracket, with a time of 29:41. I was not breathing hard and felt as though I could have pushed the heart and lungs to greater speed and/or a longer distance, but I was concerned about plantar fasciitis (currently not a problem, but been there ... done that) and my chronic Achilles' tendon issues. The Achilles was sore that evening, but felt OK today for my bike ride and workout at the Y.
I have seen pretty dramatic results from that training
Old 06-27-15, 02:02 AM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
I think running is a quicker cardio workout which is why fighters still use it in their busy routines. I'm like the other posters who found that it bangs up their joints and feet too much and that was in my late 20s.
Old 06-27-15, 06:21 PM

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
If you don't try to run through the pain, running and other impact sports actually strengthen joints and cartilage. Aerobic benefits depend on how hard you go. It is easier to coast on a bike, but once you reach a certain level of fitness, you can run easily or ride easily. Having said that, I can ride hard longer than I can run hard.
Old 06-27-15, 07:24 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7
all of you listed physical reasons for riding a bike vs running...
I get that... but my reason is riding a bike is just plain fun... running is just plain not fun.
Yep, walking or even running for an hour is an hour of S L O W, while an hour or biking is much faster and more interesting.
Old 06-27-15, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,466 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yep, walking or even running for an hour is an hour of S L O W, while an hour or biking is much faster and more interesting.
I agree with walking but running (and not a slow jog) for an hour is a tremdious workout. It's challenging, interesting, and makes me feel really great after a few minutes of recovery.
Old 06-27-15, 08:33 PM

Bikes: ROUBAIX SL4 ELITE DISC

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, new here. I hate running, kills my back so I ride and backpack. Nothing like 10 mile days with 30-40 lbs on your back. ;-)
Old 06-29-15, 07:58 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode my Schwinn Varsity all day, everyday as a kid and later ran cross country and track all throughout high school.
30 years later now I am back into biking and loving it but have to say that imo nothing beats the feeling and freedom of doing nothing other than throwing on a t-shirt and pair of gym shorts and heading out the door for a nice 8 mile run when you are in shape.
As far as aerobics are concerned though I have to agree that in my case and at my age nothing comes close to bike riding. I don't think pharmas would be able to produce enough oxy's if I were to try serious running again lol.
Old 07-03-15, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reason I switched to riding a bike is because running sucks!
It's a chore, it's slow, it takes forever to get from point A to B
I psych myself out in the first half mile thinking how far I still have to go.
With a bike you scream down the road speed wise.
It feels like your going somewhere
You get to A and B faster
Old 07-04-15, 06:26 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by deltafour1212
You get to A and B faster
If getting from A to B faster is important I go by car
Old 07-04-15, 12:24 PM

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Here's some facts and figures for you all. Let's compare some results between the two:

Person: Me
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 208 lbs
Misc: Just your average over 50 guy, graying hair, little bit of a beer belly and love handles. No big deal...

MapMyRide (yesterday 7/3/15)
15.7 mile bicycle ride
59:47 completion time
991 calories burned
15.8 mph (average)

MapMyRun (today 7/4/15)
3.55 mile easy run/jog
34:10 completion time
712 calories burned
9:37 min/mile pace (6.24 mph avg)

Both made me huff and puff, but in all honesty, the run that I did earlier today was brutal due to the high humidity. When I was done, I was so nasty, sweaty, and funky, I looked like had just gone swimming! Ick... At least with the 15+ mile bike ride, I got a breeze and could coast in some downhill sections.

I can still run without any pain in my legs, hips, knees, etc... due to doubling up on cushioning. I have a nice pair of Adidas running shoes, and also have a pair of Dr. Scholl's "Active Series" cushioned insoles inside my Adidas. Believe me, they really help!

Just wanted to share these two stats with you all. Given the choice between the two, which would you prefer?
Old 07-04-15, 03:38 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Running vs cycling is suddenly near and dear to me, since I signed up for a 5K in two months. In good cycling shape, it's just a matter of transitioning to running I thought ... not so

It's practically starting over again from scratch. I don't think there's any crossover from cycling at all except for maybe the heart being stronger.

The bright side of not having run since Track in high school is that there has been little wear and tear, no injuries. On the treadmill at least, I don't mind it so much. Except for having to recalibrate my goals
Old 07-05-15, 04:36 AM

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Ran a 10k yesterday in 47:44, and was completely spent at the end. I'll be alternating ibuprofen and tylenol all day today for hip and knee pain. I have to do something like this periodically to remind myself how much I prefer cycling to running. . .
Old 07-07-15, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I started running at age 50 when my then 5 year old showed me I better do something to get in shape if I'm going to keep up with her. I had a knee surgery in 2012. My ortho doc told me to stop running & asked if I had a bike. I had a Trek Hybrid I sometimes rode. So I rode a while, couple months then off and on as I sort of drifted back to running. I had a surgery on the other knee in 2013. The ortho doc said, "I've told you once, now I'll tell you again, stop running and pounding your joints." He let me try out his mtn bike. Last year I bit the bullet and bought a Specialized Rockhopper. OMGosh! What fun! I was a kid again, buzzing around the neighborhood, jumping ramps.
It was the most fun you can have and stay out of jail.
I still trudged up and down the mountain roads on that Trek, mostly when time didn't permit me loading up the mountain bike, and mainly to stay in shape for mtbiking.
So I decided to get a road bike. Can't spend 5-10k. So I ended up with a closeout deal on a Diamondback Century III with carbon frame.
Can I say OMGosh again!
Another world has opened up at age 54. I'm really digging this after only two months. So far my longest ride was 44 miles. Thinking seriously about trying a century before the end of the year.

I'm sure there was a point to all this.... Oh yeah, pounding joints after 50 will not lead to anything good IMO. At least not for me. I'm also 30 pounds lighter and eat whatever I want. (6'2", 195-ish) I wish I had discovered riding sooner. I could have bought a top grade bike or two for the 11-12k in co-pay and deductables in insurance/surgery costs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.