Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Fitting - whom to trust?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Fitting - whom to trust?

Old 07-10-18, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bing181
FWIW, I've had two fits.

The first was from a professional ex-cyclist who trained as a physiotherapist, and does fits using the Ergomotion system (basically, an adjustable bike hooked up to a computer that measures power).

The second, and more recent, was a Retul fit, done by a physiotherapist - who's also a cyclist - in a sports clinic. They work with the Radioshack/Trek/Leopard team in Europe.

In both cases, I specifically wanted someone with physio (or similar) training, as I have a scoliosis and leg length discrepancies (nothing major). I also have a bit of a non-standard body, basically very short torso, long arms/legs, but there again, length is not evenly distributed.

Both fits were great, the Ergomotion one got me in the ball park, but the Retul fit has taken it to another level. Big difference, the Ergomotion fit was really focused on the leg-length discrepancy and sorting that out, moreso than the actual fit. The Retul guy wasn't so fussed about leg-length etc., but very focused on the global fit.

What I now have, especially with the Retul fit, is a fit that has nothing to do with what I get if I work through one the of "fit by measurement" systems. I'm MUCH higher and MUCH further forward than what would be recommended (almost a full-blown TT position) - but it feels fabulous, I'm getting much more power, and the bike handling has improved out of site.

My experience.

BTW, speaking of bikes, can't help but put in a plug here. I have a Pinarello Rokh, acquired about 6 months ago in the search for a better-fitting bike. If you're looking at something like a Synapse or Domane, check one out. I can't say enough about what a great ride it is, and I've had/ridden some decent bikes in my time.
What is the tire clearance on the Rokh? One of the things that makes the Domane so attractive is the 35 mm tire clearance for the disc version.
Old 07-10-18, 03:00 PM
Gios

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh, Look 586, Merckx Corsa 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticCyclist
What is the tire clearance on the Rokh? One of the things that makes the Domane so attractive is the 35 mm tire clearance for the disc version.
I run 25's, with room to spare. I'd be sure of getting 28's in, but not sure about anything larger than that.
Old 07-12-18, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
If your frame size is correct, everything else can be adjusted by you to increase comfort. Measurements can be a rough guide of where to start, but really it's how you feel durning and after the ride. Move things around until everything feels good. I don't believe professional bike fitting matters much unless you are a racer or are looking for maximum performance. Recreational riders--what most of us are--simply need to be comfortable.
Old 07-12-18, 01:00 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4262 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by hexron
Hey Minnman - came across your post about fitting in the Twin Cities - any luck? Any suggestions?
That was some time ago. I had a pretty good fit at the CycleFit program of the Institute for Athletic Medicine by a PT named Peter Bzdusek. It was covered by my health insurance, but you would want to check about out-of-pocket costs in your case. The fit was fairly low-tech, with an emphasis on injury prevention, but it helped me. Someone else on this list recommended Grand Performance, and though I have no personal experience, I think you'd get a good, performance-based fit there. Same also with The Fix Studio, also in Minneapolis.

good luck.