Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

BF Influence ... good or bad, you decide

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-15, 08:19 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

Rather than focus on the unbearable headwind during my ride today, I found myself thinking about @Biker395 as I approached a 4 way stop and "almost" came to a full stop. Then for some strange reason I thought to myself, good thing I checked my tires before the ride, the voice of @oldnslow2. And there's not many a ride that I'm not reminded of @qcpmsame, life is fragile,, so I try to remember to kiss my wife before each ride. There are other BF voices who come to haunt, or guide, me from time to time while riding or even fixing one of the bikes.

And speaking of bikes in plural, who doesn't need an entire group of people to help feed an addiction to buying and riding bikes. New bikes, old bikes, steel bikes, single speed, 5 spd, 8 spd, 10 spd, 11 spd. Just can't seem to get enough.

Oh, so when did the wind direction change? I like it when it's at my back.

So the question is, BF, good influence or bad? You decide (for yourself). For me I'm happy to live with these voices in my head ...
Old 06-19-15, 09:22 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
BF is great at being facilitators for the n+1, but do any of them have to answer to my wife????

As for some of the finer points of C&V where I spend most of my time, DrilliumDude because well-done drillium just looks so cool, Biker395 for his inexhaustible energy, some for their world-wide exploits, others for their encyclopedic knowledge, and yes - our fellow 50+ for pushing me to 'enjoy the ride'...
Old 06-19-15, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Rather than focus on the unbearable headwind during my ride today, I found myself thinking about @Biker395 as I approached a 4 way stop and "almost" came to a full stop. Then for some strange reason I thought to myself, good thing I checked my tires before the ride, the voice of @oldnslow2. And there's not many a ride that I'm not reminded of @qcpmsame, life is fragile,, so I try to remember to kiss my wife before each ride. There are other BF voices who come to haunt, or guide, me from time to time while riding or even fixing one of the bikes.

And speaking of bikes in plural, who doesn't need an entire group of people to help feed an addiction to buying and riding bikes. New bikes, old bikes, steel bikes, single speed, 5 spd, 8 spd, 10 spd, 11 spd. Just can't seem to get enough.

Oh, so when did the wind direction change? I like it when it's at my back.

So the question is, BF, good influence or bad? You decide (for yourself). For me I'm happy to live with these voices in my head ...
One of the many advantages of riding a tandem: I get to kiss my wife during our rides.
Old 06-20-15, 03:12 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I resemble that remark !
Old 06-20-15, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oxtc
...There are other BF voices who come to haunt, or guide, me from time to time while riding or even fixing one of the bikes. And speaking of bikes in plural, who doesn't need an entire group of people to help feed an addiction to buying and riding bikes...

Last year I posted to this thread on the Living Car Free subforum, ”What you got from BF transportation forums?”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by gerv
I often recall how BF played such a vital part in getting me out on the street and in better health....

What about you? What role did BF play in getting you out on two wheels?
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride…”Road Warrior” is my self-applied nickname.

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist. This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
So thanks for the opportunity, gerv.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-20-15 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-20-15, 08:41 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have a hard enough time listening to the voices in other people's heads.
Old 06-20-15, 09:23 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I hate this place! It's hard on my wallet!

But, the people and ideas aren't bad!

And, I like the pictures............
Old 06-20-15, 09:28 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Entertainment value and obscure links to stuff I Never see in person is OK , too
Old 06-20-15, 09:37 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Like any community, you need to use judgment
Old 06-20-15, 10:08 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
BF has been a life-saver! And it has increased my enjoyment of biking and bike-commuting by teaching me to bike smarter and safer and more economically. In the days before the internet I learned about biking from magazines and bike shops, and other bike enthusiasts, and relied on a heavy dose of trial-and-error. Newer, fancier, gear was always the answer. But now I can see a wider variety of non-advertising-driven input, and see discussions where issues are discussed from all sides in a positive, encouraging manner (thanks moderators!) It's like being a part of a post-ride club discussion every day (sometimes even with beer!) Issues are brought up here I would have never considered, equipment I thought I needed, I realize I don't need. Equipment I didn't even know existed reveals itself as essential. Things that are needed for one type of biking, aren't needed for my type of biking. Things done in another type of biking, sure would help with my type of riding. And the really honest discussions where people share their real-world experiences, thoughts, motivations, aspirations and mistakes...mistakes, errors, wrong decisions and failures, so that the rest of us can learn those lessons second-hand and avoid similar experiences. So I guess I always ride under the influence, the influence of BikeForums.net!
Old 06-20-15, 01:04 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a bit hard to be a member of a group of people who will accept me as a member, but once I get past that, I find BF to be an incredible "place" to hang out.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-23-15, 06:30 AM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just like a party - good and bad advice, saints and sinners, losers and winners - all sorts of people you might want to know. Tons of help and support when you need it, and a dose of correction when you need it too. Only issue I have with BF and cyberlife in general is that my posterior has logged far too many precious hours while on it!
Old 06-23-15, 07:03 AM

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
It's a bit hard to be a member of a group of people who will accept me as a member, but once I get past that, I find BF to be an incredible "place" to hang out.
Same here... I visit a bunch of forums on here, mostly because I meet the "requirements"... LOL...

Classic & Vintage: I own a classic '85 Fuji Del Rey road bike that is still in excellent condition for its age (thank you Craigslist! - it was a steal at $120 bucks!). Everyone on the C&V forum helped me tweak the old Fuji, and I made it my own.

Fifty-plus: I'm 54.

Clydesdales/Athenas: I'm 208 lbs and 6'0". Eventually, somehow, someway, I will get down to an even 200 lbs! (8 more lbs to go - why is it so hard?)

Road Cycling: Even though I'm probably viewed as a "Fred", I like this forum for the wide variety of topics on road cycling.

All in all, this is a great place with so many knowledgeable people. Even though I still have the Schwinn Alum Comp, I don't go crazy on it anymore (especially at 54), because I finally learned that my body can't take the hard hitting abuse of serious off road Mtn Biking (especially with a low end, but upgraded, Wally World Mtn bike!). As my wife put it one time last year: "You are 53! What is the matter with you? You can't go out there like that, acting like you're 23!"
Old 06-23-15, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I get your post. When I got my tattoo, one of the people there said, "you're one of us now, doesn't that scare you?" My reply was that it was not nearly as scary as the fact you just let me into your group.

Honestly speaking, I find it to be relaxing. I read the posts and look at the pictures of rides and have found a place of enjoyment and peace. When I started running, I did what everyone says and immediately signed up for a 5k. As soon as I finished C25K I began training for a race and since then that is all I've done. I can't count more than 5 or so runs that weren't with a garmin strapped to my wrist.

Although I do duathlons now, I really don't train on the bicycle. I don't want it to turn into nothing but training so I ride the neighborhood and do a group ride. I also go to the St. Tammany Trace and ride the rails to trail. Although I will at times ride fast, I do it for fun. I'm hoping to make some trips and ride and maybe do a gravel grinder too.

To summarize my post, I find the simple enjoyment of the bicycle here and yes, I hadn't thought of it before, but I might like to find a steel frame road bike and restore it as a project.
Old 06-23-15, 09:07 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Aw .... the influence here is all good! Well ... except the N=1 thing.

What I like is the broad spectrum of experiences presented here. I live in a certain place with particular weather and terrain. I ride with a certain kind of rider who generally does particular kind of rides. And it's easy to come to the conclusion that everyone is like me ... riding the same weather, the same terrain, with the same kind of people, doing the same thing.

Except for one thing ... it's not true! There is a wide expanse of different experiences. Different likes, different focus, different ideas. And I get those here. Great perspective!

Old 06-23-15, 10:21 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
There is much good advice here. It has been said that "experience is the best teacher" but it does not have to be your own experience. We can learn from others and this is a good place for that.