Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How about this, "Your comfort paceline speed" is**********??

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-12-15, 03:02 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts

The guys I ride with start off at 18mph from Trail Head or Park. Within 1/4 mile could be at 22mph if leader is feeling good. Get to 1.5 miles and lots of times they're rocking at 24mph with some going to 26/28mph and +. Paceline riding is an absolute must for me since I have zero testosterone now and can not take pulls at the higher speeds but it is still a BLAST and I love it.

Just wondering what speeds are you other old guys comfortable with when paceline riding????
Old 07-12-15, 03:37 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike, 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
In the dead flat rides with a pace line I am comfortable with 24-25 if I have to take a pull of more than a minute or More. With continuous rotation I can stay with it to 28 or so on a good day. I have stayed with it up to 32 when we had a monster pulling us all the way for 9 miles and I had no time on the front. I might have the Strava or Garmin for that if I could find the day. But it only happened once.
Old 07-12-15, 05:17 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 24 Posts
I am not comfortable with paceline or any other tight formation riding.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-12-15, 06:42 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I wish I knew. There are scarce opportunities to ride a paceline in our area. Then, there is my probate work assignments that can be erratic so it is difficult for me to plan one.

I ride with a training partner on Sundays and that is my paceline.
Old 07-12-15, 07:27 PM
Montag311

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't do a lot of paceline riding either but just yesterday I rode in an organized ride and happened to get with a group of 4 or 5 others and we maintained a consistent 20-22.5 mph without much fatigue at all. However I will say that I do prefer more relaxed riding. A paceline requires a lot of concentration and the willingness to accept a bit of risk. It is fun sometimes, even exhilarating, and I can see why some people love it but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
Old 07-12-15, 07:39 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My personal comfort paceline speed is 0 mph, standing on the sideline and cheering the idio... intrepid cyclists on.
Old 07-12-15, 07:44 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FRED's like me don't have paceline speeds...
Old 07-12-15, 08:31 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
There's a fast noontime ride where lots of experiened riders/racers show it. The course is a flat three mile loop with a slow recovery part and a very quick two mile or so interval getting in the 32-33 mph range. It often is a double paceline (non-rotating) where the leads drop off to each side before it regroups at the recovery section. I feel comfortable doing that but wouldnt think about trying to take a pull.
Old 07-13-15, 05:35 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155 View Post
In the dead flat rides with a pace line I am comfortable with 24-25 if I have to take a pull of more than a minute or More. With continuous rotation I can stay with it to 28 or so on a good day. I have stayed with it up to 32 when we had a monster pulling us all the way for 9 miles and I had no time on the front. I might have the Strava or Garmin for that if I could find the day. But it only happened once.
That kind of riding when just doing it as a means of enjoyment, not crazy training stuff, is very exhilarating. We have some guys who feel compelled to pull 1 or more miles worth when riding 24mph and then up it a few more at the end of their pull.

Originally Posted by Montag311 View Post
I don't do a lot of paceline riding either but just yesterday I rode in an organized ride and happened to get with a group of 4 or 5 others and we maintained a consistent 20-22.5 mph without much fatigue at all. However I will say that I do prefer more relaxed riding. A paceline requires a lot of concentration and the willingness to accept a bit of risk. It is fun sometimes, even exhilarating, and I can see why some people love it but I wouldn't want to do it all the time.
The cool thing about more frequent paceline riding is that the more you do it, the faster you can go without the fear concerns. When things are flowing, 26mph is like 16mph riding.

Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
There's a fast noontime ride where lots of experiened riders/racers show it. The course is a flat three mile loop with a slow recovery part and a very quick two mile or so interval getting in the 32-33 mph range. It often is a double paceline (non-rotating) where the leads drop off to each side before it regroups at the recovery section. I feel comfortable doing that but wouldnt think about trying to take a pull.
I just ran into a younger guy who just put all of his bike stuff up for sale. Said he enjoyed riding with our group but disliked the race mentality when riding with the race group. Our average might be 23mph+ and the race group 24mph+, but they would attack and slow, do sprint zones and slow, take corners like in a crit. forcing riders off road then back on, crazy dangerous. Some guys doing the, "no pull then sprint for the zone win." He was frustrated.
Old 07-13-15, 07:27 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sam21fire View Post
FRED's like me don't have paceline speeds...
Thank you... Someone said it!!

I don't ride in a pack and I don't wear kits. I just do my own thing out on the roads. My comfortable speed on my old Fuji is around 14-15 mph.
Old 07-13-15, 09:41 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
I don't ride in a paceline but on club rides, many naturally group up with others who ride at a similar speed. I find myself very nervous if the front wheel gets within a bike length of the bike ahead.

The club ride yesterday was a century ride, with two shorter loops of 61 and 31 miles, over hilly and some steep terrain, covering parts of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut. There was some very pretty New England wooded terrain. Strangely, I found myself straining in the first half of my 31 miles but got stronger and faster as the ride progressed. Near the end with about 5 miles to go, the century riders, who began their ride at 7 AM, two hours earlier, went zooming by on a short and moderate roller, standing and cranking just as hard as in the first 5 miles. It is a wonderful thing to be young and strong, which I've not been for 50 years.

Those folks completed their century in almost exactly 5 hours with about 5000 feet of climbing. In that group were a few older people, a few middle aged and a amongst the youngsters, a contingent young men from Columbia who are all very strong. Among the things I enjoy about our club rides is the mix of people.
Old 07-13-15, 09:52 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Just fast enough that I'm pushing at around 90% but not so fast I can't keep it up for a few hours. Always more fun to ride with guys who are just a little but faster than I am.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-13-15, 09:58 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll join the ranks of 0 mph... paceline riding would bore me to tears, but even if I wanted to do it, I would probably want a road bike, and could probably use some depth perception. With those, I might consider pushing myself to get up to the speeds necessary to ride in a paceline.

I enjoy watching a well organized paceline, but as with many things that I enjoy watching, I have no interest in participating.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-14-15, 07:13 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a professional driver, I believe 'pacelines' belong on a closed course. I don't want to see your spandex butts clogging up a busy road where grownups are trying to make a living.
Old 07-14-15, 07:25 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2013 specializes secure sport, Salsa vaya, Masi giramondo

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Comfortable ? Well I'll say 13-22. The wednesday ride is a slow one that rarely goes above 17. But on fast nights I've seen 22 when we hit a groove. But that usually breaks into many different speed groups. I led a lead out to 29 and held it for what seemed like forever, then another on a slight downhill to 35. But that's not rotating. I've never been in a "serious" rotating paceline but would love to try it. It's a beautiful thing to see.
Old 07-14-15, 07:57 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217 View Post
Comfortable ? Well I'll say 13-22. The wednesday ride is a slow one that rarely goes above 17. But on fast nights I've seen 22 when we hit a groove. But that usually breaks into many different speed groups. I led a lead out to 29 and held it for what seemed like forever, then another on a slight downhill to 35. But that's not rotating. I've never been in a "serious" rotating paceline but would love to try it. It's a beautiful thing to see.
You mean the serious kind where they yell at you?
Old 07-14-15, 07:58 AM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
As a professional driver, I believe 'pacelines' belong on a closed course. I don't want to see your spandex butts clogging up a busy road where grownups are trying to make a living.
I dont wear spandex but I do ride on the road.
Old 07-14-15, 08:03 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Because it would 'cost' you a couple of seconds?
Old 07-14-15, 08:23 AM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2013 specializes secure sport, Salsa vaya, Masi giramondo

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
I would bet that yelling has more to do with being heard over wind noise. But I could be wrong.
Old 07-14-15, 08:49 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Because it would 'cost' you a couple of seconds?
Uhhh, from what I have read the past couple of months here the majority of people on BF advocate spending thousands of extra dollars for no other reason than to gain mere seconds. And these are for the most part recreational riders lol.
Old 07-14-15, 10:36 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-yell-you.html, probably more like this kind

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 07-14-15, 10:39 AM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
That's the one. Had that in mind when posting, thanx. That thread was funny.
Old 07-14-15, 01:36 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Zero. Paceline riding adds additional risks that I prefer not to take. Too much chance for something to go wrong. Even the most highly trained pros go down... hard. No thanks.
Old 07-14-15, 02:17 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Poor guy. Are you similarly annoyed with cars that go slower than you and are being used for personal or even (gasp!) non-essential purposes?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-14-15, 02:38 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
I don't understand. First groups need to train on the road in order to be effective on "closed courses" if you mean races. Second, paceline said don't take up any more room than regular group rides. Third, bicycles have as much right to be on the road as any other vehicles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.