Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Spongy Wonder Saddle (Noseless) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1019003-spongy-wonder-saddle-noseless.html)

blakcloud 07-15-15 02:25 PM

Spongy Wonder Saddle (Noseless)

For the last eight months I have been unable to ride a bicycle because of epididymitis which then progressed to prostatitis.

A few days ago I couldn't take not riding my bike anymore and decided to order the Spongy Wonder saddle figuring it would help ease the pain on the perineum. It has arrived and I installed it on my Brompton as my test bike.

I have only taken it around my parking garage and first impressions are favorable. No pressure means less pain than I already have. Yes it looks ridiculous but as my wife reminded me, you only see the saddle when you are off the bike. She has a point.

I will update in about a month of my impressions of the saddle for those who are interested.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...psduk3swpk.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...pso2mw4g4i.jpg

OldTryGuy 07-15-15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by blakcloud (Post 17982559)
For the last eight months I have been unable to ride a bicycle because of epididymitis which then progressed to prostatitis.

A few days ago I couldn't take not riding my bike anymore and decided to order the Spongy Wonder saddle figuring it would help ease the pain on the perineum. It has arrived and I installed it on my Brompton as my test bike.

I have only taken it around my parking garage and first impressions are favorable. No pressure means less pain than I already have. Yes it looks ridiculous but as my wife reminded me, you only see the saddle when you are off the bike. She has a point.

I will update in about a month of my impressions of the saddle for those who are interested. ..........

Same principle as my Hobson Easyseat that I got after prostate cancer surgery. I figure that your saddle should be more comfortable for the $100+ difference in price.

XR2 07-15-15 04:05 PM

Don't worry about the looks. This ain't no fashion show. If it helps ya ride then ride and dam the naysayers.

flan48 07-16-15 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by XR2 (Post 17982834)
Don't worry about the looks. This ain't no fashion show. If it helps ya ride then ride and dam the naysayers.

+1!
Best regards

John E 07-16-15 11:22 AM

You need to use what works for you, although I personally would have an extremely difficult time adjusting to a noseless saddle.

You have my sympathy, since I have walked a couple of steps -- NOT a mile -- in your shoes. About 15 years ago I suffered through a few days' bout of epididymitis, which fortunately cleared up on its own. The urologist I consulted recommended a jock strap, which I was already instinctively using, and ice, which did bring some relief.

ColaJacket 07-16-15 02:05 PM

I hate to say it, but with that bike you're worried that the seat looks funny?

GH

Hokiedad4 07-17-15 05:41 PM

Please let us know how you like it after a few long rides.

BigMo59 07-17-15 08:38 PM

Yes, please keep us updated on how this is working for you. I'm a 60y.o clyde that just started riding again last year and now getting numbness. Can't live with that. I've been looking at different saddles but never heard of this one. Looks very different but hopefully effective!

Gerryattrick 07-18-15 12:11 PM

I like the concept, but my eyes are watering at the thought of what could happen if you slipped forward a bit off the seat. That metal looks scary. :eek:

fietsbob 07-18-15 12:28 PM

You can get some sheepskin covers for them to make it look more inviting ..

lphilpot 07-18-15 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick (Post 17991611)
...but my eyes are watering at the thought of what could happen if you slipped forward a bit off the seat. That metal looks scary. :eek:

+1000 :eek: :twitchy:

John_V 07-19-15 07:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
In the event that the saddle you have doesn't work out for you, take a look at these saddles from ISM. Although I use an ISM saddle on my road bike, I have never ridden on either of these models. However, their design is for total perineal relief. Plus, they don't have the saddle's rails in a position where you can slide off the saddle and onto them. I think that would be more painful than the prostatitis. Just dismounting off that saddle looks dangerous.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=465426 http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=465427

John E 07-19-15 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick (Post 17991611)
I like the concept, but my eyes are watering at the thought of what could happen if you slipped forward a bit off the seat. That metal looks scary. :eek:

That is one of two things I dislike about the concept, for myself anyway. The other is the prospect of sliding off the side of the saddle. I guess I am too accustomed to a more conventional saddle shape.

erig007 07-20-15 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 17991650)
You can get some sheepskin covers for them to make it look more inviting ..

Not a good idea. The biggest problem of noseless saddles is sliding forward putting extra pressure on the wrists. Adding a sheepskin cover would be like adding grease. Good luck staying on the saddle.

blakcloud 09-22-15 04:39 AM

Long read, skip all the middle and go to the last line for a summary.

Well the promised update. The saddle just didn't work for me on longer rides and I am talking anything over five minutes. The pain reappeared during and after the ride. I did try it on both of my bikes, the Brompton and the Rivendell and no luck. I am not exactly sure of why, but I suspect that even in a seated position there was too much pressure on pelvic region. I guess this is one of the reasons I was told prolonged sitting at my office chair was a bad idea. Every time I rode the bike I had to take pain relief.

On the Brompton there wasn't a hope in hell that the saddle would stay level with the Pentaclip, which is why I moved it to my Rivendell. Here the saddle stayed just fine.

Some wondered about the medal nose and landing on it but that was a non issue. If you stood and sat down again, by instinct you know where the ass of the saddle is. It is riding without a nose that is the second most bothersome part. You never realize that you you steer and direct and hold on to the nose when flying over a bump or over a curve.

So it has been one year, and I have ridden my bike four or five times and each time was a disastrous. Maybe for others with different medical problems that saddle can work but in my case it just didn't work. It was priced at around $166 Canadian Dollars, which is about $120 American.

I tried riding my bike without sitting on the saddle much like the ass-less bike built by Ezra Caldwell of Fast Boy Cycles (may he RIP). That was not enjoyable at all and it was more work than you can ever imagine. My next plan of attack is to give it until spring to see if it heals, but they do say I have a chronic problem which can last years, so I am not holding much hope. Second I may go to the dark side and get a Cattrike or equivalent. I need to see if sitting for long periods on a trike will aggravate the prostrate. The trike will be lousy for downtown commuting in Toronto but at least I could ride on pathways etc for some fun. I went from commuting daily for the last thirty years to nothing so to say I am bummed is an understatement. Plus my weight has increased dramatically. Cycling is the only exercise I like.

TL:DR--The saddle didn't work for me but maybe it will work for you. It is well made and I didn't mind paying premium for a Canadian made product (I am a Canadian). Other strategies will be tested.

PS. Colajack, did your mother miss teaching you the lesson on being nice? Maybe you missed the sticky
http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ad-please.html