Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   How many days in a row do you ride? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1019960-how-many-days-row-do-you-ride.html)

NMHillclimber 07-21-15 02:56 PM

How many days in a row do you ride?

Work and weather have been with me, I rode 12 days in a row. A couple of those days were really easy recovery days. That said, Sunday I did 30 miles, and several times said to myself, "I need a day off." Monday was off. Today was a pretty good 40 miles. But work will keep my from riding the end of the week.

Do you ride every day?

OldTryGuy 07-21-15 03:29 PM

Don't have work to interfere, but even so, I have no desire to ride every day. Got 76 in last Saturday with 85 today and most likely will not ride until Saturday.

FBinNY 07-21-15 03:33 PM

I'm still commuting and doing utility riding. That ensures base miles of about 100/week, and near daily riding except in the winter, where I get finicky. But I don't keep score, and am happy as long as I maintain enough base miles to stay in shape and keep the hills from growing.

NMHillclimber 07-21-15 03:39 PM

You do more miles in 2 days than I usually do in a week!

JBHoren 07-21-15 04:02 PM

Sunday through Friday, with perhaps Tuesday or Wednesday as a second day off. I don't roll on Sh*****.

Biker395 07-21-15 04:23 PM

Monday-Saturday. I usually take Sunday off to do stuff around the house, but I'd rather not!

Ronno6 07-21-15 04:34 PM

I generally ride every other day, 26 to 50 miles a pop.
Having taken a rather long hiatus for relocating, I have not gained sufficient form to do more.
Plus, owing to the rather undulating terrain in our new area, easy spinning recovery days are non-existent.
There are no easy days.
there are only fast days and slow days.
But, they all seem hard.............

MinnMan 07-21-15 08:14 PM

My preferred schedule is long rides on Saturday and Sunday, evening rides TWTh, and Monday and Friday off. But all kinds of things interfere with that ideal. I can ride 5-6 days in a row in some cases, but beyond that is, for me, counterproductive, even if some of those are recovery rides.

wphamilton 07-21-15 09:08 PM

Five days always (commuting) but the two weekend days depends on the weather. This summer though I've wound up skipping one of the weekend days, so I guess it's pretty consistently five to seven days in a row.

Barrettscv 07-21-15 09:18 PM

I've have an alternating day riding pattern when the weather allows. I'll ride a minimum of 19 miles when I do ride. Doing that every day would be rather time consuming.

The weekends allow longer rides and I enjoy spending several hours of continuous riding at least once during the weekend.

RISKDR1 07-21-15 09:29 PM

I am retired and still don't ride every day. I am 70 so need more recovery than I used to. I have some one day rests and some two day rests. I really depends on how hard the ride was. I try for three days of riding or 4 days of riding in a seven day week depending on how hard I ride. Sometimes I need two full days of rest after a longer harder ride. More rides are "easy" than are hard.

jskash 07-21-15 09:51 PM

I ride every day unless I am ill. I ridden every day this year except 8. I typically ride between 14 and 20 miles per day.

BobbyG 07-21-15 09:57 PM

I commute to the office 3-4 days a week with a weekend ride in the warmer months and 2-3 days in the winter. For the last 2 years I've had an after work commitment on Monday nights that precludes riding. Before that I'd have a few stretches a year where I'd ride to work 5 days a week for 2-3 weeks with a weekend ride or two. But that was in my 30s and 40s. The last 5-day a week multi-week run was when I was 48. Now with a new commuter, I am planning on putting studded snow tires on the old one for more winter riding next winter.

Dave Cutter 07-21-15 09:57 PM

The weather defines my schedule. On the rare periods on Midwestern decent weather I still rarely ride more than 5 days without a rest day.

OldsCOOL 07-22-15 04:58 AM

I have 3 hard training rides per week. In between days will be grabbing the "gentlemans racers" (classics) for a ride around town or to the playground with my grandson. Recoup is important to me. If core strength is low during a ride I will take a 3-5 days off from any training rides. I like the short/casual downtown rides for my weight loss.

BadBurrito 07-22-15 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by jskash (Post 18002159)
I ride every day unless I am ill. I ridden every day this year except 8. I typically ride between 14 and 20 miles per day.

that's awesome!

BadBurrito 07-22-15 07:04 AM

I rarely string more that 3 days in a row together

bikejrff 07-22-15 06:41 PM

Ride daily until it rains.

baron von trail 07-22-15 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by NMHillclimber (Post 18001026)
Work and weather have been with me, I rode 12 days in a row. A couple of those days were really easy recovery days. That said, Sunday I did 30 miles, and several times said to myself, "I need a day off." Monday was off. Today was a pretty good 40 miles. But work will keep my from riding the end of the week.

Do you ride every day?

My typical riding day is 50 miles. I find that after three, I need a break...four tops.

jon c. 07-22-15 07:49 PM

It's rare that I have the opportunity to ride more than 3 days in a row. I don't like to ride in the rain and in those months when there's enough light to ride after work, evening thunderstorms are pretty frequent here. Took out tonight's ride. (And when that doesn't do it, life manages to intervene in some other way.)

ltxi 07-22-15 07:57 PM

Normally right now I ride six days a week. Occasionally five. Not every day but at least every other day has been my workout standard for years.

TCR Rider 07-22-15 08:11 PM

6 days for me. I take off on Friday. That's my yoga day (ohmm:p). Longer rides on Sat and Sun (minimum of 50 to 62 or so). Intervals on Tuesday and FTP Intervals on Thursday. I generally end up with between 175 and 200 a week. I had some health issues early in the year so I had to dial it back for a while. I was still able to ride 6 days a week but it was on the trainer and the goal was to maintain some sort of aerobic base and keep my weight down.
I really enjoy my saddle time and being retired I have time to recover.

roccobike 07-22-15 08:30 PM

I ride four times a week, all with groups in pace lines. Monday hills, 28 miles, Tues, flatlands A ride 24-28 miles, Thursday, hills 20 miles and Saturday some flatland, some hills, 50 to 60 miles, B pace. If I try to ride three days in a row, the third day is a strain. I can do it, but there's not too much gain.

Doug64 07-23-15 12:00 PM

When my wife and I are home, we usually ride five days a week. However, when we are touring it is different. On one tour we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on fully loaded touring bikes. On a three month ride we did through Europe, we only averaged 44 miles a day. We stopped to take too many pictures. We are presently in Denmark, and need to average 40+ miles a day to complete our planned route by mid September. We have been here about a week, and are behind right now.

We do at least one self contained multi-month ride a year. Our recreational and utility riding keeps us in good enough shape to put in the long miles if we need to.

jskash 07-24-15 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doug64 (Post 18006829)
When my wife and I are home, we usually ride five days a week. However, when we are touring it is different. On one tour we averaged a little over 50 miles a day for 74 consecutive days on fully loaded touring bikes. On a three month ride we did through Europe, we only averaged 44 miles a day. We stopped to take too many pictures. We are presently in Denmark, and need to average 40+ miles a day to complete our planned route by mid September. We have been here about a week, and are behind right now.

We do at least one self contained multi-month ride a year. Our recreational and utility riding keeps us in good enough shape to put in the long miles if we need to.

I would love to see some of the pictures of your ride thorough Europe. It sounds amazing. Do you ship your bikes to Europe before you go or do you get a bike in Europe when you arrive?