Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

stationary hand cycling, anyone?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-21-15, 04:24 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

The local YMCA recently installed a stationary hand cycle, which I now try to use three times per week. What a workout for someone who has never had much in the way of upper body bulk, endurance, or strength!

I have been doing 5-minute sessions, starting at resistance level 13/30, and backing off to 12 and then to 11 as muscle fatigue sets in. I have been improving only very slowly, which has always been typical for me, but I do notice that this exercise is helping me with some of my upper body strength training.

Is anyone else complementing cycling -- and perhaps walking or running -- with hand cycling?

A bit of advice -- wear your padded cycling gloves to keep your hands from aching!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-21-15, 05:09 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's the standard warm up (10 minutes) for anyone doing physical therapy after shoulder surgery.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-21-15, 05:17 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Cycling is an excellent exercise but it takes a good bit of time investment to achieve fitness results, I'd say at least 3-4hrs/week. My guess is hand cycling might be similar if your looking for cardio & strength. I'm sure shorter stints will achieve positive results, but you might want to consider adding weight bearing exercise into the mix too.
Old 07-21-15, 05:39 PM
Ravenwing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was part of my PT after a bout of rotator cuff tendinitis last year. It was probably my least favorite exercise, but its undoubtedly good, and helped me progress. For arm/upper body strength I much prefer a mixture of free weights and body weight exercise.
Old 07-21-15, 06:54 PM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to do this. I have a nerve injury to my leg and cycling irritates it. But my gym doesn't have one. Getting on the floor behind a regular or stationary bicycle to pedal with the hands isn't practical or comfortable. So I'm planning to buy a hand cycle unit, not too expensive, made for this purpose.

Last edited by climberguy; 07-21-15 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 07:15 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That would give me even more respect for the hand cyclist that the Wounded Warrior Project has worked with. Watched some of the last Para-Olympics events with these athletes. Fantastic people with more drive than I can imagine.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 07-22-15, 08:20 AM
John E
feros ferio

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
That would give me even more respect for the hand cyclist that the Wounded Warrior Project has worked with. Watched some of the last Para-Olympics events with these athletes. Fantastic people with more drive than I can imagine.

Bill
That's what goes through my head every time I use it. I remember the Austrian handcyclist team that completed RAAM a few years ago. I have not tried a 0-degree, instead of a 180-degree, alignment of the pedals yet ... maybe tomorrow.
Old 07-22-15, 08:25 AM
John E
feros ferio

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
Cycling is an excellent exercise but it takes a good bit of time investment to achieve fitness results, I'd say at least 3-4hrs/week. My guess is hand cycling might be similar if your looking for cardio & strength. I'm sure shorter stints will achieve positive results, but you might want to consider adding weight bearing exercise into the mix too.
I do the hand cycling more for upper body endurance and conditioning than for cardio, since I have been doing a lot of fast walking, jogging, and cycling for many years. For the past two decades I have also been doing upper body strengthening exercises, as well as knee stabilization and Achilles rehab exercises, at the Y. I have recently added the 5 minutes of hand cycling to my existing 20-minute routine.
Old 07-22-15, 11:12 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6708 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 108 Posts
hand cycles are necessary if your legs dont work .. met some pretty strong wheel chair athletes
that could make a hand cycle fly .. [ Burly tandem shop fabricated a hand cycle stoker setup in '90]
there the cranks are on same side of crank, not alternating , like bike's usual.

becomes a rowing like effort . pulling down and back.
Old 08-01-15, 11:02 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handcycles are very popular in The Netherlands (and elsewhere in Europe). I'd bet that not a day goes by when I'm there that I don't see at least one. Some are dedicated handcycles while others are attachments for wheelchairs that let the person use their wheelchair at their destination. In The Netherlands they use the bikeways and can often maintain a pretty decent speed.

It's always fascinated me how many more people with disabilities you see in The Netherlands than elsewhere, particularly older folk. It's not that they have more (they actually have less than most developed countries) but that their bikeways make it much easier to get around with handcycles and mobility scooters so rather than remain cooped up in their senior housing apt they can get out and do stuff. This keeps people with disabilities healthier both physically and mentally.

More: Enabling Disabled People | Push Bikes

Last edited by CrankyOne; 08-01-15 at 11:06 AM.