Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I almost throw up/do throw up after climbing a hill

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-25-15, 12:25 PM
Jab1216

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been biking for years. I am a 62 year old female in average shape and have never had a problem like this until last summer. When it is hot out, and I climb a steep hill or long incline, I feel nauseous at the top of the hill and sometimes throw up. Today it was not even that hot...81 here in NC and I still got sick. I drink lots of water....at least I think I drink enough. Today I ate a granola bar right before the ride and thought maybe I need to eat at least 1/2 hour before I ride. I have researched this online and can't seem to find anyone else who experiences this. I just want to learn what to do to keep this from happening. It's very frustrating because otherwise I am a decent rider and I like to ride hills as it increases my workout. It doesn't feel like heat exhaustion as the only symptom is nausea. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. Thanks
Old 07-25-15, 01:06 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3 ti, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It's just after climbing a hill that you have this problem? And you don't feel particularly bad, otherwise?
Maybe you have too much water in your stomach on the climb. Or water and granola bar? Maybe eat/drink sooner and climb hills later. Or switch to gatorade or similar that might be absorbed faster/better. Or drink less fluids, period. Puzzling.
Old 07-25-15, 01:48 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are going to need more info. what size hill , intensity going up .length. Is it the Alpe d huez?
Old 07-25-15, 02:10 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started having the same problem when running. Easy or hard effort, 6 miles in I got nauseous. Eventually, I had a bladder infection and went to the urologist who asked me if I got nauseous when I ran and had a strange feeling or pain in my side. One thing led to another and I found myself having dye injected in an IV in my arm while getting an x-ray. It was a 1 cm kidney stone. I never had the pain of a passing stone since it was large and just sat there irritating the inside of my kidney. Just a thought you may want to rule out.

I thought kidney stones were for men, but a running friend of mine is a female and has several.
Old 07-25-15, 02:19 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
OP,
If this is a 'new' problem for you, and is consistently recurring, I think the best advice anyone could give you is 'don't look for an answer on an internet forum'.
Get yourself checked out by a physician. Might be nothing; might be something minor and easily dealt with; might be symptomatic of something more serious.
Old 07-25-15, 02:22 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I wouldnt ask just any med doctor, I want one that is fascinated and experienced in physical fitness activities.