Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I have colon cancer

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I have colon cancer

Old 07-26-15, 07:34 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
May the positive outcomes of some of the stories above give you courage. +1 colonoscopies as early as possible.
Old 07-26-15, 07:45 AM
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Colonoscopies are painless ... the worst part is the fasting before the procedure itself. Get it done!
Agree 1,000%

I was given a choice between the quick overnight method (i.e., human volcano) and the much gentler "day before" approach. I opted for the latter. Aside from fasting the prep wasn't bad at all: One 10 oz. bottle of magnesium citrate (if I recall), half in the morning and half in the afternoon, and that was it. I had to remind myself I wasn't "just sick". The procedure started at 6 AM and I was home by 9, REALLY HUNGRY.

I should be due in another 3-4 years, more or less.
Old 07-26-15, 07:59 AM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Charles, unfortunately, my Dad (there was 8 of us kids), passed from colon cancer in 1975, and from the rough chemo treatments of the time, sped up the process. I was 20 years old at the time, only got close to him the last 6 months. My Mother, bless her heart, was 53 at the time. She insisted we all get screened by the age of 40. I complied, and have had polyps removed 3 times since. I am now 60 years old, and am certain my health is much better after watching what my Dad went through. All of us kids have had polyps removed at one time or another. My Dad has always been my hero, and I often wonder how my life would have been different with him being around to provide sound advice. My Dad was a civil engineer, always did things the slow, practical and methodical way, nothing he couldn't fix. I miss him.
Having said that, I have watched several people since recover from 3rd and 4th stage colon cancer, where the docs gave them little chance of survival, my brother-in-law one of them. A positive outlook and support team can do wonders. I pray you have that, and I hope you'll come here for support also. You will be in my prayers.
Pat
on2wheelsks
Old 07-26-15, 09:00 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Prayers from Illinois, Charlie. I hope they get it all corrected quickly.

You will be back on the bike, before you know it!
Old 07-26-15, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best of luck with your treatment and recovery.
Old 07-26-15, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Charlie:

I am very sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you as you go through your procedure.

This year I have been doing a lot of research concerning nutrition and health. There is very strong scientific evidence that a whole-food, plant-based diet protects against some of the most common forms of cancer experienced in the U.S., such as breast, prostate, and colon cancer. I wish every American would watch the documentary, Forks Over Knives, and consider adopting such a diet. I had been gradually reducing the amount of animal products in my diet over the last decade or so and, after watching this documentary, and watching some videos on YouTube by Drs. Dean Ornish, Joel Fuhrman, Calwell Esselstyn, and John McDougall, decided to take the final step and go totally vegetarian. The fact that there is a history of colon cancer on my father's side of the family played a big role in my decision.
Old 07-26-15, 10:00 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
good luck with the surgery. My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer early because he had a gallstone and they did a colonoscopy. He lived another 25 years until dementia finally caught up to him. Funny thing was, they never did remove the gallstone.
Old 07-26-15, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Charlie, thanks for sharing. The encouragement and comments of others helped me encourage a friend who emailed me yesterday with his cancer diagnosis.
Old 07-26-15, 03:12 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
Please get a colonoscopy. I waited too long. Surgery is set for Aug 3. I won't know the biopsy results til Aug 10 or so.
I had only minor symptoms; rectal bleeding occasionally. I'm trying to stay positive and biking a lot til the surgery.

Charlie

Sounds like me in 2004. Colonoscopy found a small spot and it had to come out. Had the surgery mid October, went through the recovery and was downhill skiing on December 4th (5 weeks). Biopsy showed that I didn't need chemo or any further treatment other than a CEA blood test every 6 months, a CT scan in 6 months and then yearly, colonoscopy in 6 months and then annually from then on for 5 years. According to my oncologist, the mortality after 5 years is about the same as for the general population.

Yes, it's scary. But you have every reason to be optimistic and to expect a good outcome. What you get from the doctor now is all the risks associated with everything (which is scary and they are obligated to tell you). Colon cancer is some of the easiest to deal with once detected and outcomes are generally pretty good. FWIW, the doctor should be able to give you a good estimate of what he/she saw during the surgery and would expect to see in the report when the pathology report comes back. So you'll have some good information pretty much when you see the surgeon post surgery.

Good luck and expecting a good outcome for you.

J.
Old 07-26-15, 03:44 PM

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Wow... That is awful. Sorry to hear about the "C" word.

I don't have a family history of cancer, but the family genes are laced with diabetes after age 60, and high blood pressure and heart disease at the later stages of life. My dad passed away from congestive heart failure in 2002 at age 80. Even though I'm the "baby of the family" at age 54, I am doing everything I can to keep in shape and fight off any illnesses.
Old 07-26-15, 04:21 PM

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again all. Your support means a lot.

Charlie
Old 07-26-15, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Prayers for you and your family. Two opinions are always a good idea.
Old 07-26-15, 06:05 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Good luck with the surgery and treatment.

I think the current recommendations is for a colonoscopy at age 50, then every 5 to 10 years, or as recommended based on the initial screening. Sigmoidoscopy is less frequently done as there are few advantages, and it only looks at part of the colon.

I haven't had it done yet, but looking forward to some roto-rooting soon. I don't get in for a physical very frequently

Anyway, so if you're over 50, and haven't had it done... schedule an appointment.
Current guidelines call for screening colonoscopies starting at age 50. Ten years intervals up to about age 75 if no polyps or other significant issues found. If a polyp is removed then next colonoscopy interval should be three years. More info: American Cancer Society recommendations for colorectal cancer early detection
Old 07-26-15, 06:49 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best of luck and I hope all works out for the best
Old 07-26-15, 09:56 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I hope this all works out for you. Think positive. The problem has been found and now the corrective actions will take place. It's not pleasant, but it beats the alternative.
I'm now three years cancer free from prostate cancer. The hardest part was the corrective action. Once that was over, I just went about getting my life back in order.
May God be with you, keep strong.
Old 07-27-15, 05:21 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I had one 4 years ago. They found one polyp. It was not cancerous but of the different types it was the kind most likely to turn cancerous so I am on the 5-year plan. I will get one about this time next year. I encourage people to do it saying that while the comedians on youtube tell very funny jokes about the prep for it, it's really not all that bad. Hope the results of the biopsy are good.
Old 07-27-15, 05:52 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Charlie,
One positive note, the various radiation and chemotherapy methods used are much less "destructive" than they were even 15 years ago. Hopefully, yours was found early and it won't have much therapy necessary. Prayers that if you have to go through chemo, or radiation, that its not overly hard on you. It won't be easy, not going to paint a false picture, but hopefully things will go well for you. It will be great to read your thread about getting back on the bicycle, from you, in a few months. Be strong, we all are here for you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 07-27-15, 06:15 AM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
All the best wishes and nothing but positive thoughts and prayers here. Two cancer survivors in my immediate family. The advances in cancer treatment over the last few years have been phenomenal.
It's also very important to keep a positive outlook. Fight it!
Old 07-27-15, 07:45 AM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Hey Charlie, Sad to hear this. Anytime they hit you with the c word It is scary. Keep the positive Tude and don't give up!
Will keep you in prayer!
Bill
Old 07-27-15, 08:31 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
thanks for the reminder, had my 1st last yr, good luck , stay positive and distracted!
Old 07-27-15, 09:25 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had colon cancer... I had some rectal bleeding got my first colonscopy (I was 55 so this was 9 years ago) and was partially awake so watching the scope when the doctor says to me "see? right there... there's the cancer..." My mind went totally numb. Long story short, I found a great surgeon who I was comfortable with and who connected me with the coolest oncologist ever (he was a cyclist even!).

I had the surgery, a section of the transverse colon was removed. I had a week long hospital stay (I won't tell you the surgery was painless and the hospital stay fun - it was what it was). About a 8 weeks recovery and follow up oncology for 2 years with screening every year for 5. I am cancer free (thank God!). As you know colon cancer is the most treatable cancer but also the deadliest. Follow doctor's advice. When I got home, I felt good. Was told to rest for at least 2 weeks. I instead thought "I am off from work, I'm going to Costco!" Made it in the store and fainted. Got the hint, I stayed home 2 weeks.

Quick word fo advice... watch use of pain meds. They cause constipation; not good after colon surgery. Trust me on that! Anyway stay positive. It likely will just be a minor inconvenience for awhile. Just know the community here is praying for a good result.

EDITED TO ADD: For anyone going for that first colonscopy... from someone who has had her share... first off don't agree to the "gradual" method of drinking 5 gallons of water with that sugarly sweet stuff... the rate of failure to do a proper cleansing is high (I can't tell you how many of my friends were sent home to fast another day because they weren't squeaky clean). Tell your doctor you want prospher soda - the quickest method possible (it's now prescription only). Promise to drink lots of water. That is the only way to guarantee a complete cleansing. Also its quick (although not painless but at least quick). Also, best to stop eating solid foods at least 2 or 3 days before. I generally just move to soups or smoothies, nothing solid. No meat etc. That way the fast is easier and the cleansing quicker.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 07-27-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 09:49 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
since we are on the topic - to help stay "regular" aside from other dietary attentiveness, everyday after work, in the car, on my commute home, I have a lettuce wedge, handful of baby carrots, and soemtiems some dried fruit like raisins, then a little magnesium at bedtime
Old 07-27-15, 10:32 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
My way of dealing ......... is with humor, riding, healthier eating and living as stress free as possible. Lots of talking to myself and relying on my inner strength since I'm not the religious sort.
Best wishes for the best outcome.

My attempt to deal with issues, often successfully but not always, follows Oldtriguy's protocol, especially the part of living stress free. I once worked in Connecticut and traveled to work on I 95 through heavy traffic that almost always had me angry by the time I arrived at work. I quickly figured out that was not how I wished to spend my life and quit that job for a lower paying job in a pleasant small town. There are many small ways to relieve stress and otherwise improve the quality of life on a daily basis when we look.
Old 07-27-15, 10:41 AM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Get well. My Dad had a colon surgery (complications from coumadin and popcorn, we joked).
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-27-15, 11:13 AM

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck and keep your spirits high Charlie. My mother in law was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer almost 4 years ago (but is still going strong). She avoided getting colonoscopies, mostly because I think she was uncomfortable talking about GI issues (she kept up with breast cancer screenings, for instance). That made the difference between catching it early stage and late stage. Colonoscopies are super-important if you have any GI concerns.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.