Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Assaulted on bike commute

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Assaulted on bike commute

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XR2
......Maryland.

Hmmm, I would've guessed D.C..
Old 08-02-15, 12:06 PM

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Curtis, here's wishing you a speedy and complete recovery of both mind and body. You probably don't remember me, but I was the old fart that came out with you and a few others on one of the famed slow-poke rides a couple years back. That was a wonderful experience, and I've repeated that route, or some variation of it, many times since. You have quietly contributed more that I think you know to cycling in the East Bay. Thank you so much for that.

Now, a brief word about some of the comments about an immediate response (armed or otherwise) to this sort of situation...

Unless you are very well trained, very well prepared, and maintain a level of situational awareness bordering on full blown paranoia, don't even think about it. I'm not, and I wouldn't. A single moment's hesitation will get your a$$ killed. Everybody likes to huff and puff when something likes this comes up, but very very few have the skills and mental preparation to calmly and efficiently commit to a course of action with the explicit intent of killing another individual on less than a second's notice. Unless you're putting in several hours of training every month to hone and reinforce the skill set for this sort of thing, don't even consider it.

Myself, I'd rather put that time and effort into my riding.

In the vast majority of cases, you're far, far better off taking your lumps while trying to be as observant as possible, and moving on. Let LE do it's job, and so long as you're still breathing, count your blessings.

Last edited by bmcer; 08-02-15 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-02-15, 12:36 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjkoko
Hmmm, I would've guessed D.C..
Close.........suburb of.............
Old 08-02-15, 04:58 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Curtis, it is disconcerting to read about your 'adventure'. I pray you heal quickly and your pain is minimized. I understand being a community college professor as I have been one for eleven years, but only part-time in the evening after my day-time, mortgage-paying job. I know how mentally draining it is and I do not envy you getting up in front of a classroom full of students in your condition. For awhile, it will also be physically draining. Good luck getting through the first few weeks. It will be tough, but so are you.
Old 08-02-15, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about this Curtis. Maybe you'll get some nice little character marks out of the wounds as a consolation prize. (Unblemished skin has so little appeal that hipsters pay to get marked up; we old folks just add scars and such by living.)

Right now I bet you would give almost anything to be able to take a complete, deep breath. Remember that as you huff and puff at the Devil Mountain Double next year: you asked for it.

Heal well and completely, including all that mental/emotional stuff. A couple of bad apples shouldn't be able to ruin a lifetime of joy on the bike.
Old 08-02-15, 08:07 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Man, Curtis, this is very disturbing, I'm just glad that you are alright, and not worse off in the injury department. This could have been much worse, as I am sure you already have been told repeatedly, just thinking of how it could have turned out. No bad lines about California, this crap happens everywhere, unfortunately. Take care of yourself, and let things heal up completely. You are in my prayers for strength and healing.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-02-15, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I read your blog. What happened to you really sucks. Hopefully the criminals who did this to you will be caught. Rest up and let your body heal. I look forward to reading that you are back on your bike in short order.
Old 08-02-15, 08:59 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
This problem is happening all over. We've got it here in central NC. The American Tobacco Trail has had a rash of attacks and robberies especially in the section in downtown Durham. The local police have set up surveilence cameras, but I don't know if that will have any success.
Old 08-07-15, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am stunned to hear of your assault. I'm particularly stunned by kids so young with a gun.

I'm so sorry - BUT I think your sense of humour about it all is wonderful.
Old 08-16-15, 01:42 AM

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sucks man, that's why I always carried the Udap or OC17. Now in arizona I just keep a expandable baton, ever move to the bigger city area than I could just open carry but for now I'm fine, handles meth heads more than good enough.
Old 08-16-15, 07:07 AM

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Wow, I read all 3 pages of this thread... I am shocked and hope Curtis heals up quickly. Teenage thugs are nothing but two legged walking animals, and need a serious a$$ whoopin'.
Old 08-16-15, 03:01 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been away for a couple of weeks - so I just saw your report - and was shocked by the senseless violence against you. Am glad you survived and sad to see some negative comments from various sources sprinkled among the well-wishers' comments.

The streets remain the home of the brave, as it always has been. Those who want us to believe that there are thugs around every corner forget that this is a country of free people, the vast majority of whom are decent and kind, and who refuse to live in fear.
Old 08-16-15, 03:11 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
CrankyFranky, your comments contradict your nickname. You describe the mindset I'm trying to program myself with. I'm trying to focus on the amazing support of my friends, colleagues, online friends and even the administration of my college. I'm not letting the actions of two kids mess up my world.

Update: I'm healing well. The wounds are are almost fine, and my ribs hurt less each day. I start the college semester Monday with a helper to carry things for me. I have to drive a car to work, but I HOPE to try riding next weekend, and if it goes well I'll start riding to work again the week after.
Old 08-16-15, 05:25 PM
dit

Bikes: 2 Centurian Ironman, Rossin Genisis, Greenspeed GT3, Stowaway (wife)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very saddened to hear of the op's experience. I am even more saddened to hear folks recommend to just let it happen and hope for the best. As a society, are we actually that afraid? Do we just let animals do as they will and hope for the best and maybe LE can catch them. I am not sure which is the saddest. The mugging or the attitude of just letting it happen!!!!
Old 08-16-15, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh, Curtis.........I wish I could say something new and something really useful. Our outrage, our sympathy and our best wishes are things that might have gone without saying.

But I'm outraged, sympathetic and wish you the best of luck, nonetheless.

If someone comes at me with fists, then he's got a good fight on his hands. If someone comes at me with a gun, then I think I'm gonna do what he says and hope he chooses not to shoot me.

After I get over being shaken up, though, I'm gonna keep on riding. And your last post sounds as though you're coming to a similar notion.

And I'm glad to hear that.
Old 08-16-15, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cccorlew
CrankyFranky, your comments contradict your nickname. You describe the mindset I'm trying to program myself with. I'm trying to focus on the amazing support of my friends, colleagues, online friends and even the administration of my college. I'm not letting the actions of two kids mess up my world.

Update: I'm healing well. The wounds are are almost fine, and my ribs hurt less each day. I start the college semester Monday with a helper to carry things for me. I have to drive a car to work, but I HOPE to try riding next weekend, and if it goes well I'll start riding to work again the week after.
That's some quick healing. Good for you. No doubt your healthy lifestyle contributed to your recuperative ability. Good luck getting back on the bike, whenever it happens.