Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Maiden Voyage / Shake Down Cruise

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-02-15, 05:53 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I finished getting the Kestrel ready, checked everything and noticed the rear wheel was a touch off so I began measuring and finally put a level on the rear chain stays at the dropouts and sure enough, one was about 1-1.5 mm off. My OCD really kicked in here. I searched and checked the bike and could find no damage or reason for this and did a lot of googling. Trust me, I was going over it with a magnifying glass and just could find evidence of anything. Not even shade variations in the pain where the stays join the bottom bracket area. The only explanation I found was the old frames, especially carbon may have some little faults so I put my doubts behind me and mounted the rear wheel and made sure it was centered before securing the quick release.

I went out to my Saturday morning ride and there were some new and very young folks showing up for the ride with me. We took off and the Kestrel was fast, really fast at accelerating and relatively easy to hold at speed. I soon forget about the assymetrical rear drop outs and flew. I took it through the two chainrings and gears. My biggest problem now is I am addicted to Campagnola. It was so smooth. I had no idea that an old Kestrel 200 SCI would ride better than my other 2 bikes.

I guess I'm just posting to say I'm happy and excited with my new bike. I'll be taking it with me to Bay St. Louis, MS next weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kestrel.jpg (104.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-02-15, 06:33 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Makes a body feel good when a plan successfully comes together. Congrats and many happy miles.
Old 08-02-15, 06:57 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Isnt that a great feeling? I had a maiden voyage experience last weekend. Campy derailleurs shift like a dream, especially the Nuovo Record on vintage racers.

Nice Kestrel!
Old 08-02-15, 08:00 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I wouldn't sweat the asymmetric chain stays, many bikes are built in that manner now. they can add some strength to the drive side by its shaping and size, and leave out some to save weight on the non-drive side. Probably lets them charge you a bit more to say its engineering. Enjoy the new ride, it looks sweet.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-02-15, 09:13 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16 View Post
I finished getting the Kestrel ready, checked everything and noticed the rear wheel was a touch off so I began measuring and finally put a level on the rear chain stays at the dropouts and sure enough, one was about 1-1.5 mm off. My OCD really kicked in here. I searched and checked the bike and could find no damage or reason for this and did a lot of googling. Trust me, I was going over it with a magnifying glass and just could find evidence of anything. Not even shade variations in the pain where the stays join the bottom bracket area. The only explanation I found was the old frames, especially carbon may have some little faults so I put my doubts behind me and mounted the rear wheel and made sure it was centered before securing the quick release.

I went out to my Saturday morning ride and there were some new and very young folks showing up for the ride with me. We took off and the Kestrel was fast, really fast at accelerating and relatively easy to hold at speed. I soon forget about the assymetrical rear drop outs and flew. I took it through the two chainrings and gears. My biggest problem now is I am addicted to Campagnola. It was so smooth. I had no idea that an old Kestrel 200 SCI would ride better than my other 2 bikes.

I guess I'm just posting to say I'm happy and excited with my new bike. I'll be taking it with me to Bay St. Louis, MS next weekend.
I am just going to point out very gently that Campagnola is a brand of electric and pneumatic orchard pruners.

Campagnolo makes the bicycle stuff.
Old 08-02-15, 09:14 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Oh, and yes, old bikes sometimes do have a better ride feel about them. So, congrats on the maiden voyage, and hopefully many more rides to come.
Old 08-03-15, 07:59 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I am just going to point out very gently that Campagnola is a brand of electric and pneumatic orchard pruners.

Campagnolo makes the bicycle stuff.
In that I grew up in Monroe, Louisiana, be glad I didn't call you up on the telephone and try to pronounce it for you.