Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Apology Enough?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Apology Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apology Enough?

Riding down a suburban street. Suddenly a standard size black dog charges from the front patio of a house. It ignores commands from the owner and soon catches me. I nearly crash pulling my leg up just as it's muzzle touches my jeans. Then it, for whatever reason, decides to go home.

Then, I hear a faint apology from the garage. I was shook so in no uncertain terms I told him what fate awaited if there was a repeat incident.

"But I apologized" No promise he would be responsible and control the pet as required by law.

Enough?
Old 08-02-15, 08:52 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I wouldn't push the issue now.
If the dog comes out again, call animal control and report it. If he bites you, then the police get in the act and it gets real ugly real fast.
For the future, you should determine if your state permits pepper spray. NC does, I carry almost every time I ride both road and MTB. I carry to deter 4 legged problems and 2 legged problems, works for both.
Old 08-02-15, 08:53 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If the dog had caused damage.... money to fix/repair any damage would be in order. But since no "real" harm was done... a handful or polite words should suffice.

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
....... so in no uncertain terms I told him what fate awaited if there was a repeat incident.
You spewed a spiteful threat?!?!? Again.... a handful or polite words (from YOU) should have sufficed. But I get the impression you're still indebted in this exchange. But... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!
Old 08-02-15, 08:54 PM

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Always a good test of your escape velocity In that situation I usually will yell a sharp NO at the dog, which will stall him at least briefly.

If nothing else the law is probably on your side:

• A dog owner lets his dog loose in his yard, and the dog runs at a bicyclist riding by. Trying to avoid the dog, the cyclist is thrown from his bicycle and suffers permanent hearing loss. Jury verdict: The dog's owner was negligent. (Laylon v. Shaver, 590 N.Y.S.2d 615 (App. Div. 1992).)
Old 08-02-15, 09:10 PM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
"I'm just a dog chasing a car. I wouldn't know what to do if I caught one." --The Joker.

I tend to believe it's about the chase. unless you are actually on someone's property, if you stop, the dog becomes disinterested.

But I don't actually know the stats of dog catches cyclist.
Old 08-02-15, 09:44 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I would be asking what the dog owner is going to do to be sure that it does not happen again, and advising what will happen if it does. An apology is OK, but not enough.
Old 08-03-15, 01:08 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
For a dog that got loose and just ran after you, the apology should be enough. Nothing will come from escalating it - a battle that you might win, but not one with any real gain for you.

If the dog acts vicious, or tries to attack you, that would be a different story.
Old 08-03-15, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
For the circumstances portrayed, I think this post in another forum really strikes the chord:

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Complaining about drivers and traffic is a waste of personal energy besides that there is little that one can do about it.

Classic situation:

Driver A cuts off driver B in traffic.
Driver B complains to co-workers about it.
Driver B posts on Bike Forums about it.
Driver B complains to spouse and so on...

Driver A forgot about situation 8-12 hours ago and now is controlling Driver B's mental state without even knowing it.

Forget about it.
It's one of the wisest things anyone has posted on BFs, and I am really trying to hold on to the thought.

Last edited by Rowan; 08-03-15 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 01:48 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Yer lucky to get anything like an apology these days. Dog was probably being playful, though you wouldnt be sure of that.. . .nor would i.
Old 08-03-15, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
For the circumstances portrayed, I think this post in another forum really strikes the chord:

Complaining about drivers and traffic is a waste of personal energy besides that there is little that one can do about it...
It's one of the wisest things anyone has posted on BFs, and I am really trying to hold on to the thought.
I note that here is no attribution of the quote. Not a complaint, but it's interesting to recognize a wise subscriber.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post....
Old 08-03-15, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by BigAura
Always a good test of your escape velocity In that situation I usually will yell a sharp NO at the dog, which will stall him at least briefly...
My strategy exactly.

...here in Metro Boston I can't remember ever being chased by a dog (unlike experiences elsewhere)....

I used to have a pretty effective way of handling dogs. I would ride at submaximal speed, and as the dog got close I would scream to startle them, and then speed up. They invariably gave up since they were startled and hesitated, and were already going full tilt.
Old 08-03-15, 04:12 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Not long ago I snap kicked 2 smaller dogs that were an annoyance more than anything. They didnt come out anymore. Bicyclists are more of a game to a dog. The owner is now aware of this situation. From this point on I would avoid that route and attach a deterrent to the top of the bars for easy access.
Old 08-03-15, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I note that here is no attribution of the quote. Not a complaint, but it's interesting to recognize a wise subscriber.
Fixed, on your wise advice.
Old 08-03-15, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan
Fixed, on your wise advice.
Thanks for your {prompt) reply and compliment from, IMO, a sage of Bike Forums. I posted at 5:49 AM Boston time, so I'm not surprised you replied so quickly.

...now back to our regularly scheduled topic, already in progress...
Old 08-03-15, 07:17 AM
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
I was bitten yesterday by a large Weimaraner. Damn thing blew past me as I was doing 35km/h, turned and bit my leg after I slowed so as to not hit the dog. Drew blood. Police got involved just so it was officially reported. The owner was less controlled about the whole thing than I was. If my dog bit someone until bleeding, I would instantly realize that I myself have done something very wrong regarding training.
Next time I gas it, HARD! However, I like the idea of snapping a loud "NO" at the dog to shock it. I think that would have remedied the situation. I was taken by surprise. Plus, my clipless pedals don't help when wanting to kick!
Old 08-03-15, 07:49 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Dog was probably being playful…
Probably. But you don't know that with any certainty and it doesn't mean it couldn't have caused serious injury or damage if it caused the OP to crash, even if it was just being playful.
Old 08-03-15, 08:06 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've spent a good part of my life worrying and planning about what I was going to do in the future when a certain thing happened. It never ever, even once, happened exactly that way. Since you have no damages, accept the weak apology and let it go.
Old 08-03-15, 09:09 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
It was me and it was from a lesson in a management class many years ago.

Rowan can quote me as much as he wants. No need to attribute.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-03-15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 09:24 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
I had a dog chase me into the street last year ... pissed me off so bad, I turned around and rode AT the dog, growling and yelling at him. You should have seen his face before he turned around and ran. Lol.

The owner appeared and was very apologetic. And since I ride by there daily, I knew was a responsible dog owner, so no worries.

But at the same time, apologies are empty words without repentance. If his dog is out there again and again, a little chat is called for.

Old 08-03-15, 09:37 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Report it to the local Police.

When the dog does the same thing to a little girl, it will be strike two - and the owner will surely prove ignorant!
Old 08-03-15, 09:52 AM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I usually yell out at the owner as the dog is charging me "if it bites me it's going to get put down"...
Old 08-03-15, 10:07 AM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
OP it's over. Just put this on top of all the other ***** I bet you carry through life. Eventually the burden will get to you one way or another. The load will be dropped or you'll collapse under it. Trust me on this. Give it some thought.
Old 08-03-15, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by tsnrtr
rComplaining about drivers and traffic is a waste of personal energy besides that there is little that one can do about it.

Classic situation:

Driver A cuts off driver B in traffic.
Driver B complains to co-workers about it.
Driver B posts on Bike Forums about it.
Driver B complains to spouse and so on...

Driver A forgot about situation 8-12 hours ago and now is controlling Driver B's mental state without even knowing it.

Forget about it.

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
It was me and it was from a lesson in a management class many years ago.

Rowan can quote me as much as she wants. No need to attribute.
Nice to meet you. I'm pretty sure @Rowan is a he.

Another recent post presents (I presume) an ironic, yet unsympathetic POV:

Originally Posted by XR2
OP it's over. Just put this on top of all the other ***** I bet you carry through life. Eventually the burden will get to you one way or another. The load will be dropped or you'll collapse under it. Trust me on this. Give it some thought.
Old 08-03-15, 11:09 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
"Driver A forgot about situation 8-12 hours ago and now is controlling Driver B's mental state without even knowing it."

^ This is nonsense. Driver A probably didn't even know they cut driver B off, or promptly forgot about it 8-12 minutes later.

Old 08-03-15, 11:29 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Become familiar with local laws and processes regarding dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.