Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N-1. It happens

Old 08-06-15, 08:38 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
N-1. It happens

Today I said goodbye to a great bike, my 2014 Specialized Elite Rival EVO carbon CX/gravel bike. It was fast, light, responsive, comfortable and capable of really hauling ass on dirt/gravel roads. I had upgraded the bike with a Red crank and derailleurs and lighter and tubeless ready Stans Iron Cross wheels. I had swapped the stem for one shorter and higher rise to get it closer to my ideal fit. As much as I loved the way the bike rode and performed, it was just more race oriented than I needed. Even with max spacers and a very upward sloping stem, it was still a little low in the bars for best comfort.

I really liked how the SRAM hydraulic brakes worked, even if their performance was far beyond what I needed for my casual riding. The recall of those brakes made for a tedious ownership experience as I had to remove and ship off perfectly fine working brakes and levers, replace them with mechanical versions and finally remove the mechanicals to replace with the improved hydraulic version. I delayed replacing until I was ready to sell the bike so the new owner would get brand new parts. This all led me to do more of my gravel rides on my slower and heavier steel Black Mountain Cycles monstercross bike which fits me better.

The bike's new owner is one of the fastest local road riders who wanted something competitive for the upcoming Red Clay Ramble gravel grinder race that my club is hosting. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take it to a podium position when the race happens on Aug 22. I'll be riding the monstercross bike on a shorter option of the recreational ride on the same day/course.

I am strongly considering a new build of a Specialized AWOL frame which I believe will fit me even better than the monstercross bike and will have many of the same ride characteristics.

I'll miss the bike, but I think it is now with someone who will more fully use its capabilities.

profile by Benny Watson, on Flickr
Old 08-06-15, 08:43 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Tough decision but a good one! I too am enjoying a slightly more upright position. Plus I would guess that a comfortable fit is even more important on a gravel grinder where the riding is lot bumpier than on a road bike.
Old 08-06-15, 09:48 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
N minus anything .... say it isn't so !!!!!!

I understand, as much as I don't want to ... and it's not even one of MY bikes.

Glad to hear the bike is now in someone's hands who will ride it well. As much as things are getting out of hand in my own garage ... it would be tough to part with a bike that has so much of my (in this case your) time invested in it.
Old 08-07-15, 05:43 AM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that's a tough one. It seems we become quite attached to those bikes that have provided so many hours of enjoyment. I have one now - resting in the garage and very unlikely to be used again, but I am loathe to part with it. Even when I tell myself I could re-invest the proceeds in bike bling I encounter internal resistance.
Old 08-07-15, 06:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The new owner is getting one great N+1 for himself. I didn't think you wold part with that one, BD. But, the fit is a major issue and you have the other nice rides in your stable. Especially the new custom frameset build!

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-07-15, 01:26 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BluesDawg, you done good,

You Honored the bike, not your lust for possessing bikes..

There Is power In what you did FOR that very nice bike, and for that rider.
Think of it this way, YOU had a hand In creating great future rides for another, In this, power will come back to you, because you, 'Paid It Forward'

Good Job.
Old 08-07-15, 07:12 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=osco53;18054308

You Honored the bike, not your lust for possessing bikes..

[/QUOTE]

Ouch, that felt like a pang of guilt (to me)
But I'm tough, I'll survive ... but maybe I'll start hiding some of them.
Old 08-07-15, 09:58 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like it may be about to happen again. The Roubaix is out on trial with a friend who is an avid mountain biker but has never had a road bike. His wife has recently taken up road riding and got the bug enough that she is upgrading to a Ruby and she wants him to ride with her.
I'm about to be without a carbon bike!
Old 08-08-15, 04:02 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was told Carbon withdrawal's can only be overcome by new Carbon, as always N+1 prevails
Old 08-08-15, 04:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Nicely done for the new owner.

Come on people, they are only bikes!!!

Oh, I forgot.....having been informed this past March that I had prostate cancer, I had a choice of how to eliminate the testosterone. I chose door #2 and had the boys removed so biking would be more comfortable in the future, AND IT SURE IS.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 08-08-15 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 07:55 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Confirmed. The Roubaix (formerly Black Betty) has also moved to a new home. N-1 twice in a week! No plans to immediately replace them.

I am currently working on projects to convert the Fuji S-12S from drop bar to a swept back North Road type bar for leisurely rides around town and the neighborhood.

Also looking into building up a dirt road adventure bike on a AWOL frameset. I have many of the needed parts already. Not sure if this would come to replace the monstercross bike or not.

Another scheme I'm working is to sell the Crave hardtail and get a Stumpjumper EVO Hardtail. I like the geometry and the build spec better on that bike. Likely I would also get a 650B+ (27.5+ if you prefer) wheelset and 2.8" tires to try out the mid-fat idea on both the Stumpy and the AWOL.

No plans to get a carbon bike for now, but that is sure to change later.

14STU1 by Benny Watson, on Flickr

Last edited by BluesDawg; 08-13-15 at 07:59 AM.