Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

SADDLE advice for 57 yr old male

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-08-15, 11:03 AM
ksdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Short of buying a few saddles online and trying them and then returning them, what saddle do you Clyde guys like ? I am 6'1" and 245 lbs. The current stock saddle on my bike seems OK for the first 45 mins. Which was fine when I got the bike. But, now that I am building up to more miles, I am seeking a better saddle. Rides are about 60% pavement and 40% gravel.
Old 08-08-15, 11:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stand and pedal some.

Took me 47,000 miles to find the good saddle.

My test was a 100 mile ride.
Old 08-08-15, 11:27 AM
Ravenwing

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a Selle Anatomica the other day. Had it out for 18 miles day before yesterday, and 31 miles today. Without doubt, the best saddle I have ever ridden (and I've tried a few, though admittedly not as many as some folks). I was skeptical about leather saddles, but I'm a believer now!
Old 08-08-15, 12:28 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sells Italia Turbomatic. I know, it sounds like a kitchen appliance off of the home shopping network.
Old 08-08-15, 02:48 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Selle Anatomica. I have one on both my bikes. The weight limit is 250 pounds.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-08-15, 04:14 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have no idea what your butt shape is, what feels most comfortable to you.

Am a bit heavier, myself, though even when I was a skinny rail of a guy I never found the narrower styles of saddles to work well for me. A saddle roughly of the shape of a Brooks B67 or thereabouts seems to work rather well, shape wise. For me, once the shape's right, then a bit wider and well-sprung tends to work well.

Am currently riding a Selle SMP Martin Touring ... 255mm L x 218mm W, 600g. Position is a somewhat rearward "commuter" type position (flat-bar hybrid), not a more-athletic forward position. Not a "sprung" saddle, but it's vastly more comfortable than the typical saddle one sees in any LGS, for me. About ~$75.

Selle SMP even makes a wider one than that, the Martin Fitness (263mm L x 256mm W). Particularly if you're in a somewhat upright position, it might suit you being as big as you are. Can be found online (eBay) right now for ~$50-65 or so.
Old 08-08-15, 04:27 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All this advice is worth precisely zero. We have no idea about the distance between your sitbones, your riding position, whether your bike is set up correctly...

Go to somebody competent who can look at you on the bike and give you some informed guidance. Random suggestions on an internet forum aren't going to meet your needs.
Old 08-08-15, 06:23 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle AnAtomica, NSX, for us bigger guys. Comfortable, right out of the box. Wait for their Christmas sale, in Nov, $100/
Old 08-08-15, 06:55 PM
Mandeville

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are numerous quality choices. Different people vary in the quality brand and style saddle they use because, well, they are individual.

That being said one of the most understated but very important factors is three things: Size;size and size. People often have a saddle that is the wrong size for them and that's the problem. But they don't realize it and instead blame the brand or saddle design.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-15, 08:47 PM
ksdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being that I live in a rural area over an hour away from a larger city with a limited bike market, most of my purchases are online. So....seems like the Selle Anatomica is a choice pick. Which model ? NSX , X ?
Old 08-08-15, 09:26 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my advise is no advise. Everyones different. What works for me will, may not work for you. You should not get stuck with a seat because someone recommended it. Try different seats out and figure out what you prefer.
Old 08-08-15, 10:04 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree to some extent that all the "no advice is good advice" posters above have a point. Your butt and perineum have the final (and most important to you!) say in the matter.

Having typed that, I still feel compelled to add that the Selle Anatomica works well for me; no saddle pain at all, even on double centuries. I am a bit lighter than you (158 lbs.) but the two important things about the Selle Anatomica (and to some extent all leather saddles) is that it does mold to your body and it is micro-adjustable (via a 6mm Allen bolt).
Old 08-09-15, 09:50 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ISM

They let you try several out until you find YOUR seat. Mine Is the Peak Adamao..

Technology advances, you just have to be willing to seek It out...
Or ride the same old damaging, crippling, pain givers our grandfathers rode,,,

Those old classic 'Brook's' saddles are wonderful I'm told..

BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | CATALOGUE AND SHOP | SADDLES

Op,,you will have to face the fact that your going to hurt some until you 'Harden Up'...

Last edited by osco53; 08-09-15 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 11:39 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At age 57 I would bet you have some BHP aka Prostate Enlargement. So a seat/saddle that has a cut out where your personal parts & prostate will be more comfortable until some Urologist Surgically cut your prostate down to normal size.

You want to know how i know this, I went through this recentl;y, and in fact last July almost bought the farm to to Acute Renal Failure from Prostate enlargement.

We all hear the commercial avbout getting upo in the middle of the next many times to wee wee. There is no magic pill you can buy on line, a good Urologist could save your life.

Before you go into Renal Failure, or are a 10% 1 in 10 MEN GET PROSTATE CANCER.

Last edited by TheManShow; 08-09-15 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 12:23 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6700 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 101 Posts
medical warnings aside, which Im not able to comment on , due to lack of expertise.

67, for the earlier down in the drop bars riding posture era

I was using ; a Brooks Team Professional, a selle Italia Turbo and a selle San Marco Rolls.

now sitting up more, the saddle has gotten wider in the back, and in this wet most of the year climate

I have favored the Fizik Vitesse. as a unisex/womens saddle Black, steel rail, seems harder to find these days.

but yea sitting for :45 a bit uncomfortable? stop stand over the bike off the saddle , take a drink of water.

then start again.. .. took long tours on that un padded leather Brooks , made a number of Pub stops along the way.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-09-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 06:45 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good enough as any current topic place to post this...72 y/o, 6'2", 205 lbs, in good health and pretty decent shape. Bought a new Brooks B17 Standard on a bit of a whim to be a companion to the Selle Anatomica NSX I've been sitting for the past couple/few months. The Anatomica was my first in 30 years daily driver upgrade from an Avocet Touring II and I like/liked it very much. Mounted the Brooks today, spent a couple/three miles tweaking the install and then put about 10 more miles on it. Very comfortable right otb which I found a bit surprising. I'll run it for 100 miles or so over the next week plus and see how it works out. If it's still as good as the initial impression, the Anatomica may well be going into back-up mode.
Old 08-10-15, 07:46 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Probably missed it, but I didn't see it mentioned. Any pro bike shop worth their salt will have a saddle rental program. You pay a deposit, take the seat for awhile to try it out, and if you buy it, sometimes the deposit will apply to the purchase price.

Personally, I use Sella SMP Lite 209 saddles on all my bikes. They are shaped such that you only have one position, (i.e., you can't slide backward nor forward). With my old saddles, I used to get numb 'down there' after so many miles. Now? No more numbness.
Old 08-12-15, 11:36 AM
gabedad

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 2012 Canondale Synapse 6 alum. Gary Fisher Wahoo Panasonic DX 2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
selle anatomica x2 for me. On both my road bikes - love it
Old 08-12-15, 11:51 AM
1Mule 

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Brooks B17 Imperial 3 or 4 months ago. Weight be damned, I love it dearly.
Old 08-12-15, 12:00 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Be forewarned that as you ride more, get fitter, and lose weight, a saddle that worked well before can stop working.
Old 08-12-15, 04:19 PM
ksdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The selle anatomica seems like a popular pick. Makes sense as the leather should provide a custom fit. Question is...what model is a preferred pick ?
Old 08-12-15, 05:26 PM
Ravenwing

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksdog View Post
The selle anatomica seems like a popular pick. Makes sense as the leather should provide a custom fit. Question is...what model is a preferred pick ?
I went with the 'X' series, since I wanted slotted, and it is rated for riders 160 to 250 pounds. Might have been able to get away with the 'T' series (rated up to 160 pounds), but the roads are wicked rough up here and I'm 168. So far, its been absolutely perfect for me. If you prefer non-slotted, then the NSX series would be the one. They're also working on a 'Carbon' series that'll start shipping in 2016, but at $299.00 its a bit rich for my blood. I'm totally sold on leather, and would imagine the Brooks saddles are a great alternative too.

One thing to keep in mind with leather saddles is that they are going to require some treatment if you ride in the rain. Selle Anatomica makes a product called 'Saddle Sauce' for that. I'm pretty much a fair weather rider, but I'm thinking I should probably pick some up just in case.
Old 11-05-15, 05:23 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Older thread I know, but the Selle Anatomica sale is on. Been riding for almost forty years and have a garage wall full of saddles. However it was the SA that finally allowed me to ride pain free, I mean really PAIN FREE. Been riding it now for two years and it is the best cycling purchase I have ever made.
Old 11-05-15, 08:47 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx for the ping on their sale. Selle Anatomica NSX is a recent, six months now, find for me and the way best road saddle I've ever ridden. Put my going back 30 year favorite Avocets and my recent Brooks B17 in the longer term storage box. Wouldn't mind having another on hand/for use on my vintage Fuji Tourer so gonna look into it.

Last edited by ltxi; 11-05-15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 09:10 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with a bunch of posts on here. What saddle fits me and is comfortable, might not fit you (or him, or him, or that other guy..) Everyone is unique and has their own preference. Look at lots and lots of saddles in an LBS or online and try to get the measurement specs of them for comparison, if you can't see one/try one out in person.

For me personally, I found the inexpensive Forte Softail from Performance Bike to be really comfortable for the price. It's not a racing saddle, but is shaped more towards general touring/comfort. Forté Men's Softail Saddle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.