Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   No Riding For Me (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1023490-no-riding-me.html)

ModeratedUser150120149 08-08-15 11:21 AM

No Riding For Me

In the process of living life I haven't had many rides in the recent past. Maybe that is the reason I didn't think ahead.

I'm having the driveway and sidewalks resealed. When the contractor started work I moved the motor vehicles across the street. I sort of thought I'd carry the bike through the house and out another door. But, after the work was under way I realized that just wasn't going to fly. The bikes are duly and truly trapped in the garage.

So, the job has another couple days to go and then time to thoroughly dry. Oh well.......

Ravenwing 08-08-15 11:29 AM

Sounds like a great excuse to add a new ride to the stable.......:thumb:

nobodyhere 08-08-15 02:26 PM

I will loan you mine if you pay shipping to Alaska!

MinnMan 08-08-15 02:56 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way. But maybe it's the will that is the issue?

Bikes can be made fairly transportable through small passages if you take the wheels off

osco53 08-08-15 03:10 PM

Painted yourself Into a corner I see :P

BlazingPedals 08-08-15 07:29 PM

A couple of days??? They should paint it in a few hours and it's ready to walk/bike on the next day. Or are you LOOKING for excuses?

AverageJoe2.0 08-08-15 07:48 PM

I obviously don't know the layout of your house and property, but I've maneuvered bikes through some narrow spaces standing them vertically and walking them around on their back wheel holding the handlebar and seat. Most bikes can make a pretty tight corner this way with no need to remove a wheel. As mentioned, removing the wheels makes for an easy hike-a-bike through the house. If you can't get into the garage at all you are kinda screwed. See if your LBS has bike rentals.

Dave Cutter 08-08-15 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ravenwing (Post 18056544)
Sounds like a great excuse to add a new ride to the stable.......:thumb:

+1

ModeratedUser150120149 08-09-15 12:50 AM

Tough Crowd!!

Maybe some people are confusing slopping some paint on the asphalt with resealing.

Resealing involves power washing, rubberized crack sealer and a couple coats of asphalt. With time to dry between events.

moth54 08-09-15 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl (Post 18058011)
Tough Crowd!!

Maybe some people are confusing slopping some paint on the asphalt with resealing.

Resealing involves power washing, rubberized crack sealer and a couple coats of asphalt. With time to dry between events.

How often does this have to be done? (full disclosure: we have but a gravel driveway.)

OldTryGuy 08-09-15 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl (Post 18058011)
Tough Crowd!!

:cry: :cry: :cry:, now a tandem through the house might be an issue, but a bike ???? :D

ModeratedUser150120149 08-09-15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by moth54 (Post 18058183)
How often does this have to be done? (full disclosure: we have but a gravel driveway.)

I suppose it is much like any other asphalt road, except shorter. Depends largely on weather and soil conditions. Some highways have to be completely reconstructed every few years. Others just resealing. Others last, seemingly, for generations.

Even gravel and dirt roadways need maintenance periodically.

ModeratedUser150120149 08-09-15 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 18058227)
:cry: :cry: :cry:, now a tandem through the house might be an issue, but a bike ???? :D

Yep, one stumble putting a dent in my wife's new walls and I'm toast. With my nerve damage not taking a chance.

Interesting how a couple other posts challenge my character without, as far as I know, even meeting me. Maybe, as an earlier post of mine said, they don't realize that others see something different and maybe stronger in the mirror?

OldTryGuy 08-09-15 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl (Post 18059055)
Yep, one stumble putting a dent in my wife's new walls and I'm toast. With my nerve damage not taking a chance.

Interesting how a couple other posts challenge my character without, as far as I know, even meeting me. Maybe, as an earlier post of mine said, they don't realize that others see something different and maybe stronger in the mirror?

Hope you didn't take my reply as a character challenge. The :cry:, was directed to your dilemma, and the :D was directed to others.

I apologize.

ModeratedUser150120149 08-09-15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 18059102)
Hope you didn't take my reply as a character challenge. The :cry:, was directed to your dilemma, and the :D was directed to others.

I apologize.

Oh, your comments were well within the Internet Insult Code and didn't raise my hackles one bit. :D

Actually, you strike me as an interesting person who I would like to meet next time I'm down there in the Land of Now Fresh But Soon To Be Sea Water.

BlazingPedals 08-09-15 02:29 PM

I've got about a thousand feet of asphalt. On coating day, wife and I go to work, the sealers do their dirty work, and we park at the neighbor's that evening. Driveway is okay to drive on the next day.

peterws 08-09-15 02:52 PM

We were offered resealing by the same guy who laid the tarmac. We elected to splash the paint about. It was fun. . . have to do it again soon!

OldTryGuy 08-09-15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by HawkOwl (Post 18059140)
.......Land of Now Fresh But Soon To Be Sea Water.

Yup, I'll have waterfront property some day, just not in my lifetime. I hope!!! :p

Lots of roads for putting on the miles.....Cape Haze Peninsula Map.......so let me know. :thumb: :thumb: