Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else frustrated with changing styles of cycling stuff??

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-09-15, 07:30 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

We've talked about this before but why don't manufacturers just leave well enough alone. Sometimes they change stuff and it's just not for the better. I'm mainly thinking of cycling shorts, saddles and gloves. We all know the trials and tribulations of finding a saddle that is the right one. But they rarely keep that model the same for very long. I'm a little of an odd fit for shorts so when I find a pair that works I'd really like to have them available for purchase for more than just one season. And gloves. I bought the same make a model as the previous year but the padding is just enough different where it causes numbness. At least Sidi shoes doesn't seem to change their models and fit too terribly much over the years.

There, I feel better.

Anyone else experience similar situations?
Old 08-09-15, 07:33 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you find something you like, buy two (or more).
Old 08-09-15, 07:42 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN View Post
Beat me to this you just really did.
Old 08-09-15, 07:50 PM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Agreed... have a paid of Sugio bib that fit great, so I purchased another pair of the exact same model. The new ones are tight in the thighs.

Had a pair of Pearl Izumi gloves that I needed to replace. Found they were discontinued so i looked on ebay and bought 2 sets so i had a spare.

I don't deal with change well. I've tend to keep cars until they drop dead, same job for 22 years, same house for 30 years, same wife for 34 years and I still have my first car, a 74 VW for 41 years.

When you find something that works... why replace it.

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $27,000 raised in 2017, so far.
All donations go directly to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.

Rule #25// The bikes on top of your car should be worth more than the car
Old 08-09-15, 08:00 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
+1

When I went to buy a new saddle and my style was no longer available I had to go searching all over again. Fortunately I already knew what worked and why. I found a replacement that worked OK... but was a little soft. But with the next trial saddle... I struck gold. So I ordered another. Now I have a saddle, a spare, a good softer saddle, and a saddle I've enjoy for a few thousand miles. Three of the four are on bikes.

Saddles, pedals, bar tape, chains, brake pads, blinking lights.... I keep spares.
Old 08-09-15, 08:51 PM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Style? Wee don't need no steenking Style!

At least I don't care about 'style points'.
I'm a Luddite that doesn't feel the need to change something that ain't broke just because of a trend or style.

I mainly ride a bike that is over 40 years old. My 'new bikes' are over 30 years old.
I routinely wear hiking shorts and a t-shirt when riding anything less than 50 miles. Over 50 miles/three hours, and I'll wear my lycra/chamois cycling shorts under my hiking shorts (I want pockets, dammit!)
I wear crochet-back cycling gloves.
The only time I wear a cycling jersey is maybe on an organized ride of over 50 miles.
My only cycling shoes are a very old pair of Specialized MTB/touring shoes from the mid 1980s.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Old 08-09-15, 09:01 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back about 15 plus years ago Performance made an "ergo gel glove", at the time I bought 4 pair as they were on sale like 12 bucks a pair. Performance scwed up stopping making this glove. Bad news is I am down to the last useable pair.

Good news is the Ultra Glove by Performance is as good, and I bought one test pair for $20.00 on sale tp try em.
Old 08-09-15, 09:24 PM
jmiked

Bikes: Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been bit by that as well. I had a nice pair of gloves that I wore out. I bought the same brand, size, and style and they are very hard to put on. When they are on, they feel the same, but the new ones are very tight around the wrist when slipping them on.
Old 08-10-15, 05:19 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never had a problem with bike clothes/gear.

Pearl Izumi's and Craft on my bottom, (I have both),, Minimal padding Is all I need. I find that any of the newer water wicking sport shirts work.
I also found that $12 shirts of this type often on closeout for $8 at walmart work exactly like $65 jerseys...

Helmets,,definitely trial and error...
Old 08-10-15, 05:59 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My Trek helmet is common to what you see with the roadies and racers. The red is faded white, and thinking about a new one. Just saw the new Bontrager Ballista and love it. It will be out of style by time the prices come down into my range.
Old 08-10-15, 06:27 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in this boat. My bike is Reynolds 853. All this "new fangled frame stuff" turns me off totally. Modern technology has done some wonderful
stuff. Best example for me: Awesome, hi-energy headlights, as I do the bulk of my riding in the evening. Back in the 70s, a bike headlight
was little more than a toy, that never worked well, and broke frequently, often beyond any repair.

Clothing, saddles, helmets, etc. I agree, when you find something you like, better buy two, because the marketing slugs will not leave it alone.
I place marketing types just slightly above human resource types on my "people that need to be purged list".
Ok, rant over.
Old 08-10-15, 06:36 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
I bought 4 pairs of some shorts that I really, really liked a few years ago and I'm towards the end of my last pair. The padding stays pretty good but my friends give me a hard time when the spandex gets so thin it becomes see through.........
Old 08-10-15, 07:03 PM
Cougrrcj 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
I'm in this boat. My bike is Reynolds 853. All this "new fangled frame stuff" turns me off totally. Modern technology has done some wonderful
stuff. Best example for me: Awesome, hi-energy headlights, as I do the bulk of my riding in the evening. Back in the 70s, a bike headlight
was little more than a toy, that never worked well, and broke frequently, often beyond any repair.

Clothing, saddles, helmets, etc. I agree, when you find something you like, better buy two, because the marketing slugs will not leave it alone.
I place marketing types just slightly above human resource types on my "people that need to be purged list".
Ok, rant over.
My 'road' bikes all have 27" wheels. Yes, the 27" tire selection is very limited (read: sucks) these days, but I refuse to either get newer bikes or retrofit my existing bikes with 700c (or 650b for that matter). Same goes for my 26"-tired MTB/rail-trail bikes. Yeah, I realize that I'm an old fart and I'll only be around another 20 years or so, but I intend to make the most of what I already have. The 'major' online sources refuse to catalog just about anything for 'boom-era' bikes so along those lines as far as I'm concerned, Nashbar / Performance can kiss my butt. I have tens of thousands of miles in the saddle, and I plan to ride thousands more - with or without their 'support'.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Old 08-10-15, 07:05 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
We've talked about this before but why don't manufacturers just leave well enough alone. Sometimes they change stuff and it's just not for the better. I'm mainly thinking of cycling shorts, saddles and gloves. We all know the trials and tribulations of finding a saddle that is the right one. But they rarely keep that model the same for very long. I'm a little of an odd fit for shorts so when I find a pair that works I'd really like to have them available for purchase for more than just one season. And gloves. I bought the same make a model as the previous year but the padding is just enough different where it causes numbness. At least Sidi shoes doesn't seem to change their models and fit too terribly much over the years.

There, I feel better.

Anyone else experience similar situations?
I've noticed it, but it doesn't bother me because the price seems to be lower. Not sure why that is, but I certainly am not complaining.
Old 08-10-15, 07:06 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
I bought 4 pairs of some shorts that I really, really liked a few years ago and I'm towards the end of my last pair. The padding stays pretty good but my friends give me a hard time when the spandex gets so thin it becomes see through.........
Wear a longer shirt.
Old 08-11-15, 05:04 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was recently reminded of the problem when my pedals failed during a trip across Illinois and back. Even commonly accepted advances such as sealed bearings are impractical for some applications. A bike shop owner went to the big industry show in Las Vegas and came to a meeting at the local club to tell us about the industry trends he saw. After describing some of the new tech, a curmudgeon asked why they would develop wireless shifting and disc brakes for production road bikes when cables and rim brakes worked just fine all these years. His only response was, "They can, and new and shiny sells." I personally don't think index shifting is proven technology, but I am just a humble tourist who enjoys riding without beating people at it.

Marc
Old 08-11-15, 05:40 AM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 2004 Lemond TREK Poprad 853 Reynolds, 2009 Cannondale Quik 6 'RAIN DAZE'

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj View Post
My 'road' bikes all have 27" wheels. Yes, the 27" tire selection is very limited (read: sucks) these days, but I refuse to either get newer bikes or retrofit my existing bikes with 700c (or 650b for that matter). Same goes for my 26"-tired MTB/rail-trail bikes. Yeah, I realize that I'm an old fart and I'll only be around another 20 years or so, but I intend to make the most of what I already have. The 'major' online sources refuse to catalog just about anything for 'boom-era' bikes so along those lines as far as I'm concerned, Nashbar / Performance can kiss my butt. I have tens of thousands of miles in the saddle, and I plan to ride thousands more - with or without their 'support'.
Well said. I made the switch to 700C long ago... enlarging the hole to allow the pad to slide down farther. Then I moved up in bikes... now to 853 and Ti of over a decade ago. But the 'new' isn't made to last, carbon buckboards like such and the gear looks like what it is: billboards on the sheep wearing them.
Old 08-11-15, 11:03 AM
roadie7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest gripe is the lack of back pockets on vests. It's more difficult to reach for something if it's in your jersey because there are no back pockets on the vests. I owned vests with back pockets and now realize how much I miss them.
Old 08-11-15, 11:05 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Style? Wee don't need no steenking Style!

At least I don't care about 'style points'.
I'm a Luddite that doesn't feel the need to change something that ain't broke just because of a trend or style.

I mainly ride a bike that is over 40 years old. My 'new bikes' are over 30 years old.
I routinely wear hiking shorts and a t-shirt when riding anything less than 50 miles. Over 50 miles/three hours, and I'll wear my lycra/chamois cycling shorts under my hiking shorts (I want pockets, dammit!)
I wear crochet-back cycling gloves.
The only time I wear a cycling jersey is maybe on an organized ride of over 50 miles.
My only cycling shoes are a very old pair of Specialized MTB/touring shoes from the mid 1980s.
Absolutely a plus one!!!!!

Style means a loss of money.
Old 08-11-15, 11:48 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am glad to see improvements in lighting, even though I don't ride often at night, it is nice to keep compact functional lights with me. Although light manufacturers seem to think people with trunk bags or saddle bags don't need lights because all tail lights I seem to buy only come with seat post mounts, or an alternative mount that doesn't work effectively on my seat stay or rack...

As far as clothing, my body changes as much as the clothing models/styles from year to year, so no issues there...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-11-15, 12:03 PM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 20" BMX, a 26" XC, DH & Park bikes, 700c road...I'm screwed.

I'm not about to invest another small fortune ($800 worth of downhill tires) in 650b tires (or buy 3 more wheelsets). I'll run what I have for now.

I bought a great pair of street gloves years back on sale, wish I got 2 since they fit great but I couldn't find them any more. (Looks like $300 for Dainese or Troy Lee gloves)
Old 08-11-15, 05:13 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1000!

If you are stuck for 27" tires, Try my LBS. They do a most excellent
on-line business, and they are proud to support owners of older bikes.
Old 08-11-15, 05:32 PM
Cougrrcj 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, I have found other sources, but Nashbar/Performance have a grand total selection of one each. My local bike stores don't carry 27" anything - but they will order them. Well, I can do that too!!! I use Niagara cycle for my 27" wheels/rims/tires.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands