Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A Classic & Vintage gathering in Dairyland

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-10-15, 06:13 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

A group of Bikeforum members as far away as North Carolina gathered for the 10th annual Dairyland Dare cycling event in Dodgeville WI. This was my my 6th Dairyland Dare. Vintage bikes was the theme for this group and we were givin our own roll-out at 7am Saturday. I rode the 100 km on the Serotta Nova Special X. My bike was a steady steed as usual.

It was a very good day with perfect weather and a new route that was very scenic and challenging. The 100km route stayed north and east of Dodgeville and the Mineral Point loop was taken by the 150 km riders after doing about 90 km.

The 100km route was tougher than last year with 4700+ ft of climbing and 9 climbs with 10% (or steeper) sections. I found any hill over 10% brutal, but that's the idea, isn't it?

Got to ride with many of my friends and acquaintances that I know from Chicago and some I see only once a year at this great event. Here is a taste of the day taken with my Garmin Virb mounted to the handlebar. Nothing like 40 mph on a 30 year old bike;

Here is my Garmin data: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/859989346

As Robbie says: "What other activity do you know of where middle aged men get to spend the day with drop dead gorgeous ladies in spandex?"

Robbie (Robbie Tunes) & Pete (Chrome Molly), two elite cyclist who can roll with any group.

More strong cyclists;

idmataya completed the 150 km route with a 53 & 42 Chainring set and 13-21 five speed freewheel. Try climbing a 15% grade with that!

Scotty (crank_addict) came with a '58 Vic Edwards in Peugeot BP livery and did the 150k with a 1950's drivetrain and a four speed freewheel with a lowest 54 gear inch and aluminum cottered crank. The 150 km route has about 7300 ft of climbing.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-10-15 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 07:25 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great write-up, and a great selection of bikes!
Old 08-10-15, 07:42 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 3566 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Great pics and it was great meeting you and the others. I'm glad I brought a bike with a low gear of 19.5 inches; I used it!

I'm looking forward to doing this year and I'll bring a different bike.

I did the dairyland dare on Saturday and rode 30 miles on Sunday; my legs were beat. I'm taking a few days off.
Old 08-10-15, 09:02 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not done the DD for a few years but it is a really well organized ride. I woke up at 4am on sat. and if I could have done a same day reg. I would have probably gone ahead for the 100k. Maybe next year!

After I posted the above I went back and watched you vid. The run into Gov. Dodge is great but if I remember correctly there is a wicked climb up to the rest stop. As to the climbing, I read a ride report on another thread some years ago where the OP commented that he quit pushing down the hills because it meant that he got to the next uphill that much quicker!

Nice bikes!

Last edited by rck; 08-10-15 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-10-15, 01:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
One of these years I'll make it down there…
Old 08-10-15, 10:36 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62 Frejus, '62'62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colngao Super,'78 faux Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '82 Medici Pro Strada, '85 Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet!

Wish that we would have been there to join you guys this year. You'll just have to come out for Eroica CA next year!
Old 08-11-15, 11:28 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bibliobob View Post
Sweet!

Wish that we would have been there to join you guys this year. You'll just have to come out for Eroica CA next year!
Hi Robert,

The plan is to be there! The bike is coming together

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-11-15 at 04:37 PM.