Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ever have a lump on your upper inner thigh, perhaps caused by the saddle?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-11-15, 09:27 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: '90s MTBs, '96 Allez

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all. I'm 47 years old, so I hope you guys won't toss me out on my ear for being just a kid here in the 50+ forum, but this area of the forum seemed to be the best place to ask for medical advice, or perhaps better said, to see if any of you have had a similar situation. I figure older folks are more likely to have had something like this, and I'm just now getting to the point where I have aches and pains at times, whereas as a younger man I rarely did.

I just made an appointment with a PA at my doctor's office for 8:30 tomorrow morning, so perhaps I should just be quiet and wait to see what I'm told then, but I'm worrying more than I should about this and thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas.

I didn't get on a bike for about two weeks, mostly due to being on vacation out of state. This past Friday (today is Tuesday), I went on a ride for about an hour and a half on a farily new-to-me Bontrager Paradigm saddle that a friend gave me because it was too hard for him. He rides centuries, whereas I tend to ride five to fifteen miles at a time (I'm mostly a commuter, rather than a weekend rider), and I wear padded shorts, of course, so the seat hasn't been a problem for me, but it is noticeably harder than any other I've ridden. The reason I accepted it in the first place is my old saddle was torn and I had been meaning to buy a new one, and I figured I shouldn't turn down a free one that I can always pass along to someone else if it doesn't work out for me.

Anyway, later, in the shower while soaping up, I felt a pea-sized lump high up on my inner thigh, about where that part of my body rests or rubs on the front part of the bike saddle. I guess it could have been there before, but I shower at least once daily, and twice on days I ride, usually, and I think I would have noticed it before. It hasn't gone away, so that's why I called the doctor's office today. I felt as if a lump that was a bruise should have gone away by now.

I talked to my Dad, who once had hemmorhoid surgery, and he said if it's a couple inches away from where hemmorhoids normally occur (which it is), than it isn't a hemmorhoid. I guess the PA can advise me better on that tomorrow, but I thought I'd mention it.

Mostly I guess I'm just scared that this could be something really serious. I googled just a little, so as not to overly terrify myself, but I saw a couple things it could be and now I'm wishing I hadn't.

Thanks for any shared experiences, if there are any, and hopefully not too terrifying guesses as what this could be.

Last edited by Squeeze; 08-11-15 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-11-15, 11:27 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Hi ya kid. If you did not have this problem with the old saddle, then there is something about the new one that is the cause. The new one may be a bad choice for you or it may need to be adjusted differently. Also, maintaining the area cleaner than clean is important. I scrub the crotch are vigorously before and after a ride but stop short of drawing blood.
Old 08-11-15, 11:41 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can get infections in follicles or whatever happens there- I once had a lump a good bit bigger than that, went to the doc, and got antibiotics, and that fixed it. Good chance it'd go away by itself, but since you're making the visit, you'll find out.
Old 08-11-15, 12:25 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
A general word about getting older and health scares. The number of scares will increase with time, and in most cases most of them are not nearly as severe as you fear. There are enough things in this world to worry about. Try not to obsess about hypotheticals before you get a professional opinion.
Old 08-11-15, 12:31 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get "cysts" fairly often... they are caused by the pressure of the saddle and sometimes an ingrown hair. Keep the area clean... the cyst will eventually pop but always good to get checked out if for nothing but peace of mind...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-11-15, 12:47 PM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be a dirt build up on your skin that just got clogged or further irritated by sweat or hair or any combo. Your body may have formed a lump or hard spot to help prevent further infection/irritation. I typically wash my riding gear separate from other laundry and I usually add a cup of white vinegar for good measure (An acid just like bleach but it won't discolor or attack plastics like bleach, plus it's pet/kid safe)
Old 08-11-15, 12:52 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Originally Posted by EastCoastDHer View Post
Could be a dirt build up on your skin that just got clogged or further irritated by sweat or hair or any combo. Your body may have formed a lump or hard spot to help prevent further infection/irritation. I typically wash my riding gear separate from other laundry and I usually add a cup of white vinegar for good measure (An acid just like bleach but it won't discolor or attack plastics like bleach, plus it's pet/kid safe)
Bleach is a base - pH around 12 or so.
Old 08-11-15, 01:37 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hadn't considered an ingrown hair or similar because it seems to be well below the skin and there isn't anything visible on the skin in that area, except a slighter darker color where the lump is. It almost looks like a lumpy varicose vein, from what I can see of it in the mirror.

Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
A general word about getting older and health scares. The number of scares will increase with time, and in most cases most of them are not nearly as severe as you fear. There are enough things in this world to worry about. Try not to obsess about hypotheticals before you get a professional opinion.
Thanks to everyone for the reassuring words, and most especially the quote above. It just seems like all I hear about these days is people dying of one dread disease or another, and on those rare occasions when I don't feel well, I tend to fear the worst.
Old 08-11-15, 01:51 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post

Thanks to everyone for the reassuring words, and most especially the quote above. It just seems like all I hear about these days is people dying of one dread disease or another, and on those rare occasions when I don't feel well, I tend to fear the worst.
The right answer is to do what you are doing and get it checked out. Just because it usually isn't anything doesn't mean it's not either. Basically, getting old is not for the timid. Then, on the other hand, the alternative isn't so great either.

Oh, and another big hint - internet forums are not the right place for medical advice.

J.
Old 08-12-15, 02:36 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As my wise old father once said when I was worrying: "There's no need to meet bad news half-way". Try not to obsess as most things in life turn out to be much less severe than the imagination leads us to believe. Best of luck and I hope it turns out to be easily treated. No need to meet bad news half-way.
Old 08-12-15, 05:53 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We left the door unguarded, again, now we have some young kid wandering around the place. Actually, you did the right thing in making an appointment to have this checked. Asking here, or in any internet forum, isn't the way to get things sorted out. But, as said by several others above, it sounds like an ingrown hair, infected follicle, or a cyst of some type. I have had a few over the years, usually just an infected spot, that will finally burst, and after some antiseptic and regular cleaning, be gone and done. Let the PA tell you what it actually is, and get some peace of mind about things.

Its probably just a coincidence that this occurred when you installed the new saddle, maybe not, but let the medical folks tell you what is going on. A medical degree from Google University isn't worth the electrons it takes to display it, on screen.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-12-15, 05:04 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After a good viewing and poking and probing by a PA today, I was diagnosed with a cyst, and told to sit in a hot bathtub for about ten minutes, twice per day, and it will go away. I think it's already slightly smaller than it was, so that's good news also.

And I agree about not asking about medical advice on the internet. It reminds me of a parody thread I once read at another forum with a title something like "Trapped...under car...can just barely...reach...laptop"

But, I thought this might be bicycle-related. That's why I posted this here. The PA agreed that cycling probably caused it.

Having gotten all kinds of good (and accurate!) answers, I shall now sprint with youthful vigor back out of the old-timers' forum before I get whacked by any more canes.

Thanks again to all those who took the time to assist the brash youngster who snuck in. I'll be back for my official membership card and key to the bathroom in 2018 (I hope).
Old 08-13-15, 06:35 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Glad that you found out what was going on, and its nothing serious. I hate going through long good byes to people with terminal diseases that stretch out over several months, you'll be fine for a long time, so its off the radar for you.

Oh, and as to leaving the forum, The Eagles addressed that part in Hotel California, "you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...", we now have you "checked in", sir.

Bill
Old 08-13-15, 10:09 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a good viewing and poking and probing by a PA today, I was diagnosed with a cyst, and told to sit in a hot bathtub for about ten minutes, twice per day, and it will go away. I think it's already slightly smaller than it was, so that's good news also.
Like I said, get them often enough to no longer be concerned. When I do, I keep the area as clean as possible. The cyst will either receed or will develop a head and pop (sorry if too graphic but there it is!). Takes about a two weeks. If it does pop, make sure to clean the area thoroughly and watch it for a little while to make sure no devloping infection. Thankfully, I've never gotten an infection or had any problems.

Of course the internet is not a place to seek medical attention but there is nothing wrong in asking the question and getting people's experiences about these things. If nothing else, the experiences will help you decide if medical attention is needed or not. You now know this is a fairly common occurrence for cyclists. For me, its conclusive caused by cycling as since I've been off the bike for 4 months, I've had no issues (ie no new cysts!). Hopefully what experiences were offer were calming and he PA was able to confirm nothing to worry about here... move along!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 08-13-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 03:28 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
we now have you "checked in", sir.
Oh, no! Sudden premature aging has set in, just like the Star Trek episode "The Deadly Years".

Since I'm still checked in, please indulge me with just one more question: when you guys have cysts, do you keep riding, or wait the couple weeks or however long it takes for them to go away?
Old 08-13-15, 04:36 PM
MinnMan

when you guys have cysts, do you keep riding, or wait the couple weeks or however long it takes for them to go away?
You were supposed to ask the doc that question.
Old 08-13-15, 06:24 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
You have a saddle sore. They are common with cycling, especially with new saddles or starting back after layoffs with long rides. They appear in several variations like infected hair follicles, pimples, red irritated spots, or lumps under the skin. Using lubricants like Chamois Buttr or vasoiline helps prevent them. Also making sure you saddle and bike fit are needed as well.
Old 08-13-15, 06:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
They aren't cysts at first. At the first sign, use lots of cream or lubricant when you ride. I sometimes use Neosporin. But the secret is getting the saddle in the right position.
Old 08-13-15, 10:03 PM
Symon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd agree it's more to do with saddle position. I had similar problems but all were totally resolved by LOWERING the seat and getting more weight on my sit bones and less on the Perenium [I think! that's the bit in "no man's land ]
Old 08-14-15, 05:47 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
snip....Since I'm still checked in, please indulge me with just one more question: when you guys have cysts, do you keep riding, or wait the couple weeks or however long it takes for them to go away?
Haven't had one progress to the cyst stage, thankfully, but when they first form as an infected spot, I follow Pamestique's advice about cleaning it thoroughly, apply some Neosporin, or any of the OTC antiseptics, and if its bothersome, apply a band-aid to cover it. I am stubborn, it takes something to stop me from riding, and after all the health issues, surgeries and IV infusion cycles, I pretty much just put on my kit and go riding.

Probably best to not use me as a guide, and another thread has already warned us that we are inviting "big brother" and his minions to write all these little tid-bits down, about each of us. Heaven forbid that the public be aware I am less than perfect, and have medical problems.

Bill
Old 08-14-15, 09:39 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I'm still checked in, please indulge me with just one more question: when you guys have cysts, do you keep riding, or wait the couple weeks or however long it takes for them to go away?
This is gonna sound terrible, but nothing usually would keep me from riding (except now this busted ankle!). In fact, having expereienced a few cysts, I knew that riding likely would cause the cyst to burst and once burst and cleaned, the pain/irritation was gone and I was good to go (so in effect I was riding hoping it would pop). But that's probably not great advice... so nevermind!

And for many years I would refuse to use chamois cream and that's generally when I started getting the little buggers. About 5 years ago, I started using Assos Creme and since then, have the problem less frequently so obviously a lubricant helps to lessen the friction that causes the irritation. I also change the brand of cycling shorts I wear (has a better fitting chamois) so maybe that's helped too.

Old 08-14-15, 11:09 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6725 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 119 Posts
infected hair follicles come from skin bacteria moving into the pores . let go they become carbuncle cysts .

By thoroughly washing my crotch in Surgeons Scrub they dont happen , at slightest flare up

a dab of topical antiseptic ointment did the over night trick, then I put on fresh clean dry bike shorts

the next morning ... and ride my bike for months, on bike tours ..
Old 08-15-15, 07:28 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keeping the area DRY and clean in important to avoiding those things. Another little trick is to wipe the area where you get them down with alcohol or some other disinfectant (betadine, peroxide) BEFORE you put your cycling shorts on and make sure your clothing is clean.