Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sciatica kept my from riding

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-11-15, 06:34 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I didn't ride today for the first time since May 12th. I have been going through a bout of sciatica. I could literally not get out of bed last night. It is starting to ease up, but I think I should probably take it easy for a few days. I think it overdid it moving a stone statue and in the garden on the weekend.
Old 08-11-15, 07:03 PM
dieselgoat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a brief bout a few years ago. Finally wound up getting an epidural. Haven't had an issue since. I've also incorporated some stretches like the pigeon (yoga stretch) into my routine. Seems to have helped.
Old 08-12-15, 09:41 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'll have to ask my younger son, who was denied health insurance in early 2009 because he was going to a chiropractor for sciatica(!). (My mother had sciatica, as well, but she had severe scoliosis and progressive MS.) My son's problem has long since been resolved, and he is a certified yoga instructor with a BS in biology/pre-med, getting ready to pursue a DPT degree.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-12-15, 12:05 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dieselgoat View Post
I had a brief bout a few years ago. Finally wound up getting an epidural. Haven't had an issue since. I've also incorporated some stretches like the pigeon (yoga stretch) into my routine. Seems to have helped.
+1

Regular proper stretching and use of a foam roller can help for a lot of folks.
Old 08-12-15, 12:11 PM
EastCoastDHer

Bikes: 1998 Specialized FSR 26", 1998 Trek Wade Boots Team Issue 2 XXL 20", 2001 Cortina DH Extreme 8 26", 1999 Sinister DNA (work in progress) 26", 2001 LeMond Zurich (work in progress) 700c

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cut out sweets and gluten (this includes beer).
Stretch and maybe warm up.

Hot tubs and saunas do wonders for sciatica. Accupuncture may work also.
I resorted to herbal pain killers which helped a bit too but that's just for me, you may want to avoid this depending on your states regulation regarding Canabis (I also understand and respect others personal choices on this topic).
Old 08-12-15, 06:30 PM
ltxi

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash View Post
I didn't ride today for the first time since May 12th. I have been going through a bout of sciatica. I could literally not get out of bed last night. It is starting to ease up, but I think I should probably take it easy for a few days. I think it overdid it moving a stone statue and in the garden on the weekend.
Degenerative lower back issues induced sciatic pain forced me to seek treatment several years back. After some rehab and going on NSAIDS I felt pretty good. Then spent three "back breaking" days laying a new kitchen floor....after which I could barely hobble walk. Doc tells me...."Okay, dumbass, what part of degenerative, you can't do this kind of crap anymore didn't you understand?" I learned from that...
Old 08-13-15, 02:56 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's been a crap year for my cycling. First of all a leg injury kept me off the bike for over five months, then I was able to start riding again, which I did for two weeks, very gently without pushing too hard. Then six weeks ago I got crippling leg pains, which meant cancelling a holiday and losing a lot of money. The doc and my chiropractor say it is sciatic pain caused by my back being misaligned due to several months of lop-sided walking caused by my leg injury. To say I am pi**ed off is an understatement. Eight months into the year, two new bikes to ride, coming towards the end of summer, and I've done way less than 100 miles this year.
On the plus side the pain is easing, possibly due to the chiropractice treatment, and I can now walk about 100 yards before having to stop and the doc says it should be OK to ride in about a month
Old 08-13-15, 11:10 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I feel your pain - literally. Minus the less than 100 miles. Not sure if it was the cycling or waterskiing this time. Have struggled with lower back issues for years. When things feel good I get lazy and stop stretching. Then it's back on the band wagon, only to repeat the whole cycle. Next chiro appt is Monday. Let's hope the cycling this weekend is uneventful. The interesting thing is that when I can barely walk or hobble along, I can pedal a bike relatively pain free. Getting on and off the bike is a different story.
Old 08-14-15, 03:32 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have had lower back problems for more than 20 years. Used to cause me a lot of pain until I took up Pilates about 10 years ago. I did it for around four years and found that I no longer had the same pain. Like a fool I got complacent and gave up the Pilates. I took up cycling again after I gave up Pilates and everything was fine until I had my knee injury this year, when the back pain started again.

The chiropractor says that she is a great believer in cycling as exercise for people with my sort of back condition as it is low impact and the bending forward position actually helps open up the spine. She says to start riding again once the inflammation and the pressure on the nerve has died down.

And I am definitely going to start Pilates or Yoga again and not get complacent this time.
Old 08-14-15, 05:12 AM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I treat sciatica and low back pain all the time. You're in California? Find an acupuncturist (NOT an MD or PT, or Chiropractor who has had a couple of weekends of training, or does "dry needling"--- a REAL acupuncturist has at least a Masters degree with several thousand hours of clinical internship.), preferably one who does Dr. Tan, Master Tung, or Balance Method acupuncture. Also, get an inversion table and use it. Posturally, maintain a concave arch in your low back whenever possible. You can also take Boswelia, Ashwaghanda, and Turmeric twice daily for a couple of weeks to lower the inflammation. This is what I tell anyone with lower back issues; it's all I can suggest without actually examining you.

Last edited by Needles; 08-14-15 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 06:30 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jskash: I found out recently that I have spinal stenosis (lumbar) and my spine doc (who is a cyclist ) said that riding is the best thing I can do for my back. Leaning forward over the drop bars stretches out the spine and relieves any pressure. He's right.
Have you asked your doc about it?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-14-15, 06:34 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
I treat sciatica and low back pain all the time. You're in California? Find an acupuncturist (NOT an MD or PT, or Chiropractor who has had a couple of weekends of training, or does "dry needling"--- a REAL acupuncturist has at least a Masters degree with several thousand hours of clinical internship.), preferably one who does Dr. Tan, Master Tung, or Balance Method acupuncture. Also, get an inversion table and use it. Posturally, maintain a concave arch in your low back whenever possible. You can also take Boswelia, Ashwaghanda, and Turmeric twice daily for a couple of weeks to lower the inflammation. This is what I tell anyone with lower back issues; it's all I can suggest without actually examining you.
Thanks for the great info. I have been taking turmeric, and my back is healing. I am about 80% back to normal. Considering the pain I was in on Monday night, I am relieved. I really do think the cause was self-inflicted. Too much bending over gardening and picking up heavy items in the same day. I have a friend who is a great acupuncturist. I will talk to him about the other items you mentioned for lowering inflammation.
Old 08-15-15, 06:08 AM
c.miller64

Bikes: Cannondale Six13 Pro, Cannondale Synapse, Felt IA10

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jskash View Post
Whenever sciatica rears it's ugly head (herniated disk l4-l5), I do whatever it takes to get on the bike and go for a ride. 9 out of 10 times it relieves the pain entirely. YMMV...
Old 08-15-15, 06:58 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sciatica too. A physical terrorist friend of mine taught me this stretch. It takes three or four days, but it works every time. Then I do them a couple of times a week for maintenance.

http://www.spine-health.com/fig-17-p...stretch-supine
Old 08-15-15, 07:10 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Once again, it may be time for a recumbent bike or trike. Thousands including my wife who has had two back surgeries find they can ride bents pretty much in comfort.
Old 08-15-15, 07:43 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Once again, it may be time for a recumbent bike or trike. Thousands including my wife who has had two back surgeries find they can ride bents pretty much in comfort.
YMMV. My recumbent trike gives me much more back stiffness after a long ride than my DF bikes. I figure it's that I am not altering my position enough.