Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Farewll Debmaui, killed while riding!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 04:46 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts

Second bicyclist dies after SR 95 collision in Lake Havasu City - Havasu News: News

Deb and Larry were members of this forum and great people. I was amazed at her sense of humor and encouraging nature. She consistently posted average riding speeds in the 20's and could crank out 500 watts with no problem. I can't believe they have both passed. She owned most of the QOMs in NW Arizona.

Take care friends.

Its a humbling year in the desert. Las Vegas just lost its 7th cyclist to a collision with a car this year. Last year we had one at this time. To date, no cyclist has been at fault.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 08-13-15, 07:47 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sad news.
Old 08-13-15, 08:14 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 08-13-15, 09:29 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I hate reading stories like this. It is so sad. Why can't motorist give a little respect to cyclists? I know that there really isn't an answer. We are becoming much like a 3rd world country where the value of life is meaningless. Ride safe, my fellow cyclists. Or, at least try to.
Old 08-14-15, 02:33 PM

Bikes: P1 Domane Di2, SLR Emonda Di2, Trek Farley 9 Fatbike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
May they RIP. Very sad news, the loss of two great people to same collision. Wear bright, use a light and arrive alive my friends.
Old 08-14-15, 02:48 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Angry.
Old 08-14-15, 03:09 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very sad and tragic.

The linked story said that while the accident is under investigation, impaired driving may have been involved. If so, there's less chance that bike tail lights and bright clothing would have prevented it.
Old 08-14-15, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It's a tragedy either way but from the link, I got:
"The accident itself remains under investigation, but neither the Arizona Department of Public Safety or state police believe that impaired driving was a factor.

I understand that to mean that they think impaired driving was NOT a factor.
Old 08-14-15, 03:18 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by climberguy
Very sad and tragic.

The linked story said that while the accident is under investigation, impaired driving may have been involved. If so, there's less chance that bike tail lights and bright clothing would have prevented it.
I thought the report said there was no belief that impaired driving was involved. No need to jump to conclusion yet.

Edit: Just beat me to it.
Old 08-14-15, 04:00 PM

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for correction; I was reading too fast.

I hope the investigation is able to reveal more about the cause or contributing factors, although none of that will undo the tragic loss.
Old 08-14-15, 04:05 PM
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are only two kind of accidents.

Preventable, were some one made a goof, error in judgement, screwed up, was distracted, or Etc, Etc, Etc.

Non Preventable, where you wer say parked, and a car ran into you.

Falt is alway going to be pointed at one of the parties involved.

Sound like nice people lives were taken away.
Old 08-14-15, 04:56 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Vita Sport, 2014 Lapierre Sensium

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
So sad to hear about Deb and Larry. Another of the seven, Matthew Hunt, a very active member of the Las Vegas cycling community, succumbed to his injuries just a few days ago. It is a shame, but there are really no good answers for the deaths seven people already. It is especially upsetting knowing that these people were aware, alert, and safety conscious riders. It will make the "Three Feet for Pete" memorial/ awareness ride in Sept even more poignant.
Old 08-14-15, 05:55 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I know some folks claim that texting and cell phone yakking and higher speed limits have not increased the highway fatality rate, but there is certainly a lot of bad stuff happening out there right now.

Maybe this was not a case of impaired driving, but it is likely inattentive or distracted driving played a role, which means the motorist will get off with an "aw shucks -- accidents do happen."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 08-14-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-15-15, 09:57 PM

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
IMO any car-car or car-bike collision resulting in >$500 damage should allow for black box/phone records to be pulled up since >1/4 of drivers are messing w/phones at any given time. How do cops spot drunk drivers anymore when there's constantly phone drivers weaving/not keeping up with traffic flow etc? Plus there's millions of motorists who are working 2+ jobs & never have time/energy to clean off car windows. Every time I go to the gas station I'm amazed how I'm the only one using squeegee, motorists are too damn lazy to clean car windows even when they do have time. Modern cars often have heavy (stock) window tinting further reducing visibility.
Old 08-15-15, 11:07 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
As if we didn't have enough to worry about, Tesla is leading us into a new era where electric cars will attain 'ludicrous' acceleration. Picture a (rich) teenager with a car capable of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. In our day you'd need a AA Fuel dragster to match that. And Big Daddy Don Garlits didn't have GPS navigation and Facebook access to distract him.
Old 08-16-15, 12:11 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I don't know the specifics of this tragedy, but my impression of that area has been that it is blessed with some very safe roads - good surfaces, wide shoulders, good sight lines, etc. Which makes the events less understandable.

Also, I don't know why involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide charges are not more common in these cases.
Old 08-16-15, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by NVanHiker
As if we didn't have enough to worry about, Tesla is leading us into a new era where electric cars will attain 'ludicrous' acceleration. Picture a (rich) teenager with a car capable of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. In our day you'd need a AA Fuel dragster to match that. And Big Daddy Don Garlits didn't have GPS navigation and Facebook access to distract him.
I assume you might be alluding to the problem of electric cars being so quiet that they're hard for bikers/peds to hear? that's certainly a problem I think; OTOH many gasoline-powered car engines are very quiet too, w/o my helmet mirror I wouldn't know they're overtaking. Locally, Teslas are surprisingly popular; luckily all the Tesla drivers I've seen so far seem polite enough.

BTW one thing that sometimes bugs me is when drivers don't use the ample horsepower they often have: say one is riding down a road & sees a car waiting at upcoming intersection. Driver has plenty of time to scoot thru intersection but chooses to be 'polite' & waits for cyclist to pass...but cyclist actually has no idea if driver actually sees him/her so has to slow down & try to gain eye-contact. Frequently I'd rather a car go thru the intersection even if it might require cyclist to slow down a touch. Drivers that are not skilled enough to judge cyclist speed plus their own acceleration are the same types that don't do a good job of looking out for peds/bikers.

BTW ~20 years ago whenever I saw a BMW approaching from behind I'd be a bit reassured, knowing that most BMW drivers (then) were driving enthusiasts capable of passing a biker w/o problem...of course now avg BMW driver is no better than any other driver, the cars are bought for status.
Old 08-16-15, 11:34 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
No, I'm alluding to Tesla models that are so ludicrously overpowered that they make the muscle cars of old look like they're standing still. I don't think you appreciate the significance of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. The last twenty years have seen a race to stuff huge amounts of horsepower into family sedans and minivans. Most manufacturers have models putting out 600hp these days. Combine this with distracted driving and it's enough to make any cyclist nervous.

Last edited by NVanHiker; 08-16-15 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-17-15, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I am not made any more nervous by the existence of high or ultra high performance vehicles as, for a number of reasons, I don't see that as creating a significant increase in risk to me while cycling. Years ago it was proposed to limit the power of motorcycles, despite the fact that data showed the accident rate related inversely to motorcycle power. Of course it wasn't that higher power motorcycles were safer, just that those choosing to ride them were generally more experience and skilled riders less prone to have accidents.

Last edited by Looigi; 08-17-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
Speed, drugs (including booze), inattention (aka distracted driving) and general incompetence are killers. I was standing beside my bike on the shoulder of the southbound lane yesterday when a northbound car began to drift over the centreline directly at me. The driver was on his phone (despite the fact it is illegal in this jurisdiction). He corrected about halfway across the lane and gave me a sheepish grin. I wasn't grinning back!

Dreadful crash you've told us about. Tragic consequences.
Old 08-17-15, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by NVanHiker
No, I'm alluding to Tesla models that are so ludicrously overpowered that they make the muscle cars of old look like they're standing still. I don't think you appreciate the significance of 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. The last twenty years have seen a race to stuff huge amounts of horsepower into family sedans and minivans. Most manufacturers have models putting out 600hp these days. Combine this with distracted driving and it's enough to make any cyclist nervous.

OK, I see your point though usually phoning/texting drivers are going a bit slower than traffic flow. I've driven high-power cars like a Vette (not as crazy-quick as the Tesla of course) & found that gas pedal was not all that touchy. Sure, if one is not paying attention one can cause an accident quicker.
Old 08-17-15, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge and 1990 steel 10 speed (Suntour)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wholeheartedy agree.

Originally Posted by John E
I know some folks claim that texting and cell phone yakking and higher speed limits have not increased the highway fatality rate, but there is certainly a lot of bad stuff happening out there right now.

Maybe this was not a case of impaired driving, but it is likely inattentive or distracted driving played a role, which means the motorist will get off with an "aw shucks -- accidents do happen."
Old 08-17-15, 08:31 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Impaired could be as simple as not wearing their glasses. I've done a lot of driving and see people hit some pretty obvious obstacles. Sorry for the loss to their families.
Old 08-17-15, 08:41 PM

Tonite NBC News had a report on the National Safety Council report on sharp uptick in road crashes/deaths. NBC focused on "improving economy" causing folks to drive more & they barely touched on NSC's mention of talking/texting also being a major factor. Media doesn't want to offend folks.

I read just now that Bryan Smith, the guy who nearly killed Stephen King got a whopping 6-month suspended sentence (he was shooing his dog away from a cooler). Smith had numerous previous violations incl DUI; had license suspended several times etc.
Old 08-17-15, 09:31 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I read just now that Bryan Smith, the guy who nearly killed Stephen King got a whopping 6-month suspended sentence (he was shooing his dog away from a cooler). Smith had numerous previous violations incl DUI; had license suspended several times etc.
Sheech! I'm getting sick of this crap. Until this country and its government get serious about real punishment for stupid behavior, it will just continue. When there start to be real consequences for people's irresponsible actions, and the word gets out, then people will start paying more attention to their driving. Whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility for one's actions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.