Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Retiring in Florida + Enjoy Cycling? The Sunshine State is Deadly

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Retiring in Florida + Enjoy Cycling? The Sunshine State is Deadly

Old 08-15-15, 08:38 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I hope you Floridian friends know I'm not being serious here. Well, except for the snowbird/fudgie thing. Must be tough to have a home up here, a camper down there, and neither place wants to deal with you.
Old 08-15-15, 08:41 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Florida has lots of working-class types that ride year-round to commute etc so one must take that into consideration, ie just more bikes on the road.

Greater Miami area known for it's share of careless drivers--one has to watch out for cars impulsively zooming out of driveways & such. But overall I haven't had much problem w/Florida drivers. In Miami area some of the cars pass a bit close--that bothers some riders but I actually prefer a car that passes promptly instead of hanging behind. Did an 180 mile 2-day tour on A1A & the only car that gave me grief was one from my home area up north. Pretty much all the other drivers were quite calm & courteous.

Last edited by DropBarFan; 08-15-15 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-16-15, 06:42 AM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
...but usually they are slowly driving along on the left lane, whilst looking at their smartphones for an IMPORTANT text message, or a search for the nearest early bird dinner special...

I live in Northwest Florida, or as they call it LA. A different world from your part of Florida, Ron, not even close to what you are putting up with.
Bill,

If by "LA" you mean Louisiana (and not Los Angeles) then that sounds about right. The behavior you describe fits perfectly with what we experience here in central Louisiana.

On a related note, I find it (at best) amusing to see drivers crusing along, straining mightily to hear their cellphone speaker, apparently not realizing it can be set to sound through the earphone instead, and held against their ear to eliminate most of the road noise.
Old 08-16-15, 07:31 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by TheManShow View Post
Phoenix & Tuscon have more than a fair amount of retirees, and snowbird retirees who flock here in winter when home like Colordao, Utah, Montana, Minnesota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. Gets too cold, and the wealthy retirees come to AZ to get out of the snow.

They drive fo doo doo bring all their bad driving habits with them. Some teorrize use who live here year round with their Golf Car never stoping for a stop sign, and flipping off anyone who onk at them.

The the armadas of baseball fans show up for spring training and more troble for us full timers. Road are over crowded, resturants have lines, doctor are busy. Bumper Stickers like: Too many snowbirds, need more freezer space say it all.

Florida use to have armadas of wealthy NEW YORKERS coming to Miami Beach in winter when I was a kid. Same BS just different. They were loud, obnoxious, and were fixated with orange juice.

Florida & Arizona have been over run with old people, some good some bad. Same problem in both places, just different faces.

Daily Show did a very funny bit years ago about the elderly in Florida. It was call Dirty Birds.

Dirty Bird Special - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Our plan is to have a place in Tucson. Love the place summer and winter.
Old 08-17-15, 10:13 PM
DBrown9383

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
They all drive Cadillacs, pull out in front of you and drive 27mph. And eat copious amounts of Murdick's Fudge.
Disagree.. It's usually Joann's fudge. Several pounds are usually consumed after the incredibly difficult chore of cycling around Mackinac island at 5mph stopping every 100 yards in the middle of the road to snap a photo.
Old 08-18-15, 03:17 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383 View Post
Disagree.. It's usually Joann's fudge. Several pounds are usually consumed after the incredibly difficult chore of cycling around Mackinac island at 5mph stopping every 100 yards in the middle of the road to snap a photo.
Oh, the humanity.
Old 08-18-15, 07:23 AM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well well well, what have we here?
Outspoken prejudice against ;
1. the elderly
2. New Yorkers
3. Floridians.
As an sixty something ex NYer living in Florida I take extreme umbrage at this.
Seriously, this is a really fun thread.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Florida is a pretty poor state.
there are many people who use bikes as there only means of transportation.
They are easy to spot. They ride old mountain bikes wearing cargo shorts, tee shirts and backpacks.
They ride on the sidewalk against the flow of traffic, and I"ll bet account for a large share of the car/cycle accident statistics.

and getting hit all the time
Old 08-18-15, 07:42 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1 View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Florida is a pretty poor state.
there are many people who use bikes as there only means of transportation.
They are easy to spot. They ride old mountain bikes wearing cargo shorts, tee shirts and backpacks.
They ride on the sidewalk against the flow of traffic, and I"ll bet account for a large share of the car/cycle accident statistics.
This is so true about the area of Florida where I live. Sure I see lots of cyclists riding in the bike lane or on the trails but I see way too many poor people who don't know the cycling rules and laws. Sadly they think a motorist will always yield for them when they're riding on the wrong side of the road against traffic, or on and off the sidewalk, or failing to signal when turning, or not stopping to check traffic when crossing at an intersection. The list goes on.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-18-15, 09:55 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still believe the state of MI is far more deadly for cyclists than the state of Florida. I've lived in both states. EVERYONE who comes to Michigan makes the trip to Mackinac island at least once to buy fudge. The only way to the island is by boat and there are no motor vehicles allowed on the island period.. You arrive by ferry to be greeted by a half dozen bike rental establishments. (You can bring your own bike but are penalized 9 dollars for doing so). 95% of the tourists rent a bike as soon as they get off the ferry at the cost of 8 dollars per hour for a bike with a derailer. Then the peloton begins the arduous task of cycling around the 8mi. paved, flat bike path around the island. During this trip around the island on a bike one notices a carnival atmosphere and a complete free for all as far as right of way rules are concerned and general courteous biking does not exist. Accidents are frequent and mostly entertaining as there are few break aways from the peloton so speeds remain fairly consistent. I could go on and on but anyone who singles out the state of Florida as a dangerous place to ride a bike has obviously never visited the great state of Michigan and Mackinac island. When 5,000 uncle Bucks get on a bike for the first time in 40 years and try to ride 8 mi. on a path with 5,000 women and children going the opposite direction it is a recipe for complete and utter chaos.
Old 08-18-15, 01:04 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6838 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 180 Posts
Nope, in my Will I will demand that even dead I dont want my body sent there.
Old 08-18-15, 01:52 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Our plan is to have a place in Tucson. Love the place summer and winter.

I lived in Tuscon from January - March of 1998, before moving to the west side of Maricopa County.

Tuscon was expensive, Tuscon got more rain than where I am, Tuscon had some a Great Harvest Bread store at Ina & Orical Road, the bread called "woodstock" was awesome, Tucson area is more diverse bicycling terrain, Tuscon has a better VAMC (VA-Hospital) than Phoenix.

Last edited by TheManShow; 08-18-15 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 03:11 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383 View Post
I still believe the state of MI is far more deadly for cyclists than the state of Florida.
Las Vegas has been pretty deadly for cyclists lately.

GH
Old 08-18-15, 04:01 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Not that this answers the mail, but I thought it was interesting ...

Ranking | League of American Bicyclists
Old 08-18-15, 04:48 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Not that this answers the mail, but I thought it was interesting ...

Ranking | League of American Bicyclists

I am surprised Arizona finished in the upper 50%.