Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Vintage Peugeot PX10 Repaint and Rebuild

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-17-15, 08:05 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

I've had the craving for a bike suitable for the Strada Bianche for a few years. This means room for 700x30 tires with fenders, center-pull brakes, pre1980, and something with some association with the Grand Tours of a bygone era. I expect to attend L'Eroica sometime in the next few years, so what better excuse to acquire a bike project.

I saw this Peugeot that Rocketsauce posted: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post17249439

It will fit perfectly, it's dent free and ready for a new life.

The fork had lost much of it's paint. It's not unusual for a part that's been chromed to lose paint. I considered repainting just the fork, but I was concerned that the new paint would contrast with the old paint on the frame. Fortunately the Chicago area has a great bike painter and I decided to have the entire frame painted. The color match was very good and the painter took great care to preserve the seat-tube decals and the headbadge. Only the down-tube decal is new.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-17-15, 08:06 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Last week a Stronglight 93 crankset, a 46t outer ring, a 42t middle ring with attachment points for a 74 bcd 30t granny gear was assembled. The chainrings are now 46, 42 & 30 which will provide a half step and a granny gearing by using the installed 13-15-17-20-23-26 freewheel. This freewheel will go on the clincher wheelset pictured below. I'll use this wheelset most of the time.

I'm not a masher and like to sit and spin at a 90 to 105 rpm cadence. The Red Clover triplitizer with the 46, 42 and 30 chainrings covers the 10 to 25 mph range with tight gear spacing. A six speed Suntour 13-30 freewheel is installed. A 46 chainring is ideal for me. I can hold almost 30 mph on a 46 chainring chainring with a 13 cog on the freewheel. I won't be walking too many hills with that 30t granny gear, either.

A Simplex SX410 long cage rear derailleur and a NOS Suntour front derailleur were installed. A Dura ace set of shifters were added along with a very nice Huret cable guide.

The clincher wheelset is installed. These have Normandy Luxe Competition 36 hole high-flange hubs. The rims are Pacenti PL23. A 13-30 six speed Suntour freewheel is installed. The Tires are 700 x 32 Compass Stampede Pass. It 's very smooth ride.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-01-16 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 02:02 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, why aren't you posting this in C&V?

Of course they want everything original and repainting a vintage bike is a no-no.
Old 08-18-15, 05:24 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I read the C&V post, she looks even better here, the paint turned out first rate, Michael. I really like the Stronglight triple crankest, Peugeots should have the Stronglight crank-set, especially a PX-10, IMHO. The MAFAC racer brake set looks perfect, even the hoods are spot on, the gum looks much better than the white hoods I have seen on a few Pugs. I hope that your Simplex experience is better than mine was, way, way back in 1971, the Delrin body model I had fell apart on me.

I'll be looking forward to reading your reports of the Eroica rides, in the future.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-18-15, 06:00 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Nice work!
Old 08-18-15, 07:21 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
I read the C&V post, she looks even better here, the paint turned out first rate, Michael. I really like the Stronglight triple crankest, Peugeots should have the Stronglight crank-set, especially a PX-10, IMHO. The MAFAC racer brake set looks perfect, even the hoods are spot on, the gum looks much better than the white hoods I have seen on a few Pugs. I hope that your Simplex experience is better than mine was, way, way back in 1971, the Delrin body model I had fell apart on me.

I'll be looking forward to reading your reports of the Eroica rides, in the future.

Bill
Hi Bill, Thank you for the kind words. I like keeping the vintage spirit in an older bike and the Stronglight crank is key to preserving the character of a PX10. I'm glad I don't have to limit myself to the standard 53 & 45 chainrings that were OE on the bike ;-). This crank could be fitted with a ahead-of-its-time 37 inner ring as a double. It's also light and beautiful. Simplex components made with Delron is a another matter altogether. I didn't even bother looking for original Simplex shifters or front derailleur. Finding these in good condition is almost impossible and they were unreliable during their time. If, or when, the rear derailleur starts to malfunction I'll probable tap the rear hanger and put a period correct Shimano back there. The wheels and freewheel are roughly from the same period but minor upgrades. The same with the MAFAC brake levers and centerpull brakes. These are superior to the MAFAC Racer items that were on a 1971. Upgrading to better brakes is a no brainer for me, and these keep the French spirit intact.

My next project will be a Motobecane Grand Record. Also very French, but with Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs as original equipment. French fun, without the plastic parts.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-19-15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 09:44 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
Wow ... that's a beautiful bike!
Old 08-19-15, 06:50 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
Nice work!
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Wow ... that's a beautiful bike!
Thanks B-A and Biker,

It was a fun and interesting project and the bike is rewarding to ride.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 08-21-15, 09:02 PM
chas5131

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great. Had one I loved to ride. Wish I had not sold it.
Old 08-21-15, 10:01 PM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not go Campagnolo for the drive train? There are lots of vintage Campy parts available - I have an early 1970's gruppo on a 1980's Dawes. Just curious - what a beautiful job of restoration and a plain beautiful machine!
Old 08-22-15, 08:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Viking55803 View Post
Why not go Campagnolo for the drive train? There are lots of vintage Campy parts available - I have an early 1970's gruppo on a 1980's Dawes. Just curious - what a beautiful job of restoration and a plain beautiful machine!
Campagnolo is great gear, I'm using Campagnolo hubs on this bikes, they were the best during this era. However, fitting a Campagnolo drivetrain to a PX10 is not an easy or the best conversion. The rear hanger would need to be heavily modified. Fitting a Shimano Crane requires the tapping of the hanger, but this is minor compared to fitting Campagnolo. Also, good quality 1970's vintage Campagnolo is a budget buster.

If Campagnolo and French is desired, It's best to find a Motobecane Grand Record. It has Campagnolo dropouts and derailleurs as standard. Buying a complete and original bike is always the most cost effective solution.

It just so happens to be my next project;

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-22-15 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 09:15 AM
MZilliox 

Bikes: Berthoud Randoneusse, Curt Goodrich steel road, Zanconato Minimax road, Jeff Lyon steel all road,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very cool restore. Looks period correct and i like the practical build.
Question:
What rims did you lace those Campy hubs to? I have a set of 32 hole campy hubs on old weinmann 27" and need a nice "new" 700c rim to build em on...
Old 08-22-15, 10:00 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Viking55803 View Post
Why not go Campagnolo for the drive train? There are lots of vintage Campy parts available
Simplex derailleurs shift better than Campagnolo and don't require dropout modification. And the Stronglight mod. 93 is not only pretty, but an easier triple conversion than a Campagnolo crank.
Old 08-22-15, 10:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
If, or when, the rear derailleur starts to malfunction I'll probable tap the rear hanger and put a period correct Shimano back there.
For my Gitane tandem, when the original Delrin SX-410 derailleur failed, I took the long cage off and mounted it on an all-metal SX-660 derailleur:

Old 08-22-15, 03:49 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by MZilliox View Post
very cool restore. Looks period correct and i like the practical build.
Question:
What rims did you lace those Campy hubs to? I have a set of 32 hole campy hubs on old weinmann 27" and need a nice "new" 700c rim to build em on...
Hi M-Z,

The rims are SUN CR 18. They are a high quality and strong rim at an affordable price. They are not race rims, they are intended for touring and mountain bikes, but they are not excessively heavy. They also look old school with a smooth polish and a boxy shape and eyelets.

Velocity A23 are a lighter, race oriented rim and are available in silver or polished.

H plus Son TB14 is another polished and retro boxy rim worth researching.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-22-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 08:54 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like the Shimano Crane, the Campagnolo Rally will bolt onto the early Simplex hanger if it has been tapped. The SX 100 you have on there is low end, but it will work fine for a while.

The Simplex SX 610 is a decent derailleur that you can often find at a decent price. I paid 20 bucks for this one.

Old 08-29-15, 07:22 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Grand Bois, that SX 610 is very nice looking, did you do the polish work on it? As usual, your Pug is beautiful, and looks like every detail was tended to with love and care. Kudos, sir.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 08-29-15, 08:53 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Barrettscv;18084494]Last week a Stronglight 93 crankset, a 46t outer ring, a 42t middle ring with attachment points for a 74 bcd 30t granny gear was assembled. The chainrings are now 46, 42 & 30 which will provide a half step and a granny gearing by using the installed 13-15-17-20-23-26 freewheel. This freewheel will go on the clincher wheelset pictured below. I'll use this wheelset most of the time.

I'm not a masher and like to sit and spin at a 90 to 105 rpm cadence. The Red Clover triplitizer with the 46, 42 and 30 chainrings covers the 10 to 25 mph range with tight gear spacing. It also allows me to use a short cage rear derailleur with a triple. A 46 chainring is ideal for me. I can hold almost 30 mph on a 46 chainring chainring with a 13 cog on the freewheel. I won't be walking too many hills with that 30t granny gear, either.

An NOS Simplex rear derailleur and a NOS Suntour front derailleur were installed. A Dura ace set of shifters were added along with a very nice Huret cable guide.

A OE PX10 wheelset arrived with Peugeot branded (Mallaird made) hubs and Super Champion sew-up rims. A 14-15-17-19-21 five speed freewheel is mounted. This wheelset will be restored and once new tires are glued on, will be ridden on special days.

It's now ready to test ride. I still need to do a number of minor and a few major changes. The rear Dia Compe centerpull is temporary. The brake cables will be shortened once I tune in the fit.

The clincher wheelset is installed. These have Campagnolo Record 36 hole high-flange hubs. A 13-26 six speed Suntour freewheel is installed. The Tires are 700 x 32 Compass Stampede Pass. It 's very smooth ride.

[/QU

SWEETNESS!!!

You must be about my height. That's what? A 64?

SP
OC, OR
Old 08-29-15, 09:12 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Gunnar Street Dog

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful bikes, and nice work.
Old 08-30-15, 08:02 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by rando_couche View Post

SWEETNESS!!!

You must be about my height. That's what? A 64?

SP
OC, OR
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
Beautiful bikes, and nice work.
Thank you for the kind words.

The frame size is 25 inches center to top. That equals 63.5cm. The center to center seat-tube distance is 62 cm. I do like larger frames with a taller headtube and a longer reach. I'm 6 foot even, but the fit is perfect as shown.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-30-15 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-30-15, 04:23 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Bill, Thank you for the kind words. I like keeping the vintage spirit in an older bike and the Stronglight crank is key to preserving the character of a PX10. I'm glad I don't have to limit myself to the standard 53 & 45 chainrings that were OE on the bike ;-). This crank could be fitted with a ahead-of-its-time 37 inner ring as a double. It's also light and beautiful. Simplex components made with Delron is a another matter altogether. I didn't even bother looking for original Simplex shifters or front derailleur. Finding these in good condition is almost impossible and they were unreliable during their time. If, or when, the rear derailleur starts to malfunction I'll probable tap the rear hanger and put a period correct Shimano back there. The wheels and freewheel are roughly from the same period but minor upgrades. The same with the MAFAC brake levers and centerpull brakes. These are superior to the MAFAC Racer items that were on a 1971. Upgrading to better brakes is a no brainer for me, and these keep the French spirit intact.

My next project will be a Motobecane Grand Record. Also very French, but with Campagnolo shifters and derailleurs as original equipment. French fun, without the plastic parts.
Barrett, what year is your PX? What would be a period-correct Shimano rear mech?

When I was shopping for a new PX-10 around 1971/72, there were no Shimano options on the market. Period-correct would limit you basically to Campagnolo, Simplex, or Huret, if you're talking about my era.
Old 08-30-15, 04:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
Barrett, what year is your PX? What would be a period-correct Shimano rear mech?

When I was shopping for a new PX-10 around 1971/72, there were no Shimano options on the market. Period-correct would limit you basically to Campagnolo, Simplex, or Huret, if you're talking about my era.
The question is argumentative. "Period" should not be defined so narrowly, but to answer the question: The Shimano Crane GS began production in 1971, the same year as this PX10.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-30-15 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 06:11 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The question is argumentative. "Period" should not be defined so narrowly, but to answer the question: The Shimano Crane GS began production in 1971, the same year as this PX10.
I didn't mean to be argumentative, nor did I understand your need for flexibility in definitions. My bad.

Thank you for the new knowledge that Crane goes back to 1971. Live and learn.

Best of luck with your Peug.
Old 09-03-15, 01:24 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's looks exactly like the last new bike I ever bought back in '71. Had it for one month
before it was stolen. If that's mine, I want it back!
Old 10-09-15, 06:54 AM
cadman101 

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge A1, 1972 Peugeot PX10 (original owner)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great looking Pug. I have a 72 (I think) PX10 I'm just now starting a rebuild on and am looking for any info on part source etc.

Looking for info like a parts list and/or source info for parts like front & read derailleurs, crankset, clincher wheelset and hubs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
px10-1000.jpg (101.8 KB, 150 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.