Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Handlebar width. Mine feels too wide

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-15, 08:48 PM

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Specialized Sirrus. I just feel like my hands are too wide to my body. I've read posts about shortening the bar but want to hear from the older, wiser guys. Where do I start? Buy a pipe cutter and do a little bit at a time until I find what feels right?

I put Ergon Gp5 grips/bar ends on and they seemed to make the 'reach outside' problem worse.

Finding, during my move the hands around to belay numbness routine, that I like holding the bar right at the stem. Creates elbows in and it feels fast.

Last edited by Rubble; 08-18-15 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-17-15, 09:26 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I've had a Trek 930 since '97, or thereabouts. It is a lot like the Sirrus and was sold as a 'mountain bike'. Front suspension was still fairly new and I wanted to give the technology time to shake out. The bars on the 930 are fairly narrow, by today's standards. Last year, I purchased a 'real' mountain bike, a Kona Hei Hei. Full suspension.

The first time I road the bike any distance, I said to myself, "Whoa! These bars are really wide. A lot more than the Trek." They just were not comfortable. I went the safe route and just purchased new bars that are about the same width as my Trek bars. The swap was pretty easy, and I have the original bars in case I ever sell the thing and the buyer wants the wider bars.

The original bars are Kona brand, as are the narrower replacement bars. I purchased them off the internet. Checked with my LBS first, the place I purchased the bike, but they didn't have any narrow bars. Only stocked wide ones. I have bar ends also. That makes my hands even closer, and like you, I like the flexibility of bar ends. I wrap them with old fashioned cloth tape.
Old 08-17-15, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Hacksaw & a file work fine.

One thing often overlooked is that the brake levers should be inboard from the grips so that the first two fingers grab the ends of the levers.

If the brake lever clamps are up against the grips, you have uncomfortable and inefficient braking.
Old 08-17-15, 09:51 PM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
The width of your bars should correspond to that of your shoulders. . .if you use bar ends, its great for standing on the pedals uphill. I got wide bars now and love the controllability on what is essentially a racer. Feels like an ole Suzuki 500 mbike i had.
Old 08-17-15, 10:23 PM

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
When I started MTB I used 22" wide bars, and I am 6'-6". When I bought a 29r after 15years away from dirt, the 32" bars felt absolutely comical.

I had the same question as OP so I read up. People claimed that the extra leverage stabilized the bike and was needed with the larger wheel, and it opens up your breathing. Breathing thing is nonsense. I like a stretched out position, so the long bars simply made it hard to reach the far grip in a turn. And stability? You have got to be kidding. Compared to a 26" this thing is outragiously stable and easy to ride. So I didn't like the wide bar thing on any theoretical level.

Still, I gave it a chance, rode it for a month. Lopped off 2", rode a month, then 2 more inches. OK, now it all feels proportional and comfortable. I can't go any further anyway because the levers are slammed right up to where the taper ends. Now I am happy. Bars are cheap, life is short.
Old 08-18-15, 05:23 AM

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Feels like an ole Suzuki 500 mbike i had.
i too had a Suzuki 500. 42 yrs ago. Should have put it in a garage and kept it. The classic guys drool over them these days.

Thanks for the suggestions. New bars are inexpensive so I think I'll go the cut a little, try, cut again if necessary route.
Old 08-18-15, 09:54 AM
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Before you cut them, you can just move the grips/levers, etc... inwards to try the position and when you like it, trim the bars to suit the new grip width.
Old 08-18-15, 01:14 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bike shop saw-guide makes sure it is cut square . works on 1.125" steerers and 22,2mm handlebars
Old 08-18-15, 02:31 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The width of your bars should correspond to that of your shoulders. . .if you use bar ends, its great for standing on the pedals uphill. I got wide bars now and love the controllability on what is essentially a racer. Feels like an ole Suzuki 500 mbike i had.
As far as drop bars are concerned, I absolutely disagree with this advice. I know that it's the conventional wisdom, but I'm a big guy with 45cm shoulders and I like riding 38cm bars. Really tight, responsive, you steer with your hips not your hands.
Old 08-18-15, 05:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
Before you cut them, you can just move the grips/levers, etc... inwards to try the position and when you like it, trim the bars to suit the new grip width.
This. Try it out before you cut.
Old 08-18-15, 05:52 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
+1 In carpentry, it's called "measure twice, cut once".

Ben
Old 08-18-15, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I routinely shorten the handlebars on all of my straight handlebar bikes. I HATE riser bars because they are always too long to suit me and they can't be shortened as much as I'd like.

The first thing to do is to figure out how wide you want them to be. I strongly agree with the poster who suggested moving the shifters and brake levers inward to try out that position before cutting. I cut mine with a hack saw because I own a hack saw and I don't have a tubing cutter. If you are going to use a hack saw, do yourself a favor and buy a screw type hose clamp from AutoZone to use as a guide to help you get a nice, square cut. I generally re-size my cable housings afterward to keep everything tidy looking.
Old 08-18-15, 07:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
The width of your bars should correspond to that of your shoulders. .
Originally Posted by chasm54
As far as drop bars are concerned, I absolutely disagree with this advice. I know that it's the conventional wisdom, but I'm a big guy with 45cm shoulders and I like riding 38cm bars. Really tight, responsive, you steer with your hips not your hands.
+1.

I ride 38cm bars too.

I always went with conventional wisdom. Then by happy accident, I ordered tapered bars that were 39cm across the hoods. Hated the taper, but loved the width. Within weeks I'd chucked every set of bars I had and replaced them all with 38s.

When I use bars the width of my shoulders, it feels like steering a bus.
Old 08-18-15, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
I gave it a chance, rode it for a month. Lopped off 2", rode a month, then 2 more inches. OK, now it all feels proportional and comfortable. I can't go any further anyway because the levers are slammed right up to where the taper ends. Now I am happy. Bars are cheap, life is short.
Exactly, give it a reasonable try. If you don't like it, change it. I long ago learned equipment is made for ME, I'm not necessarily made for certain equipment.
Old 08-19-15, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by tsl
+1.

I ride 38cm bars too.

I always went with conventional wisdom. Then by happy accident, I ordered tapered bars that were 39cm across the hoods. Hated the taper, but loved the width. Within weeks I'd chucked every set of bars I had and replaced them all with 38s.

I was never comfortable with dropped bars, even up on the hoods. Hill climbing? Made it twice as hard. My bars are 63cm with ends on, and this is the way for me. Great up the hills on the pedals, I can just bend my arms if I want to leg it. I got `em fitted wrong way round, too. Looks stupidly cool. I don`t care . . I love it!
Old 08-24-15, 02:22 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
+1.

I ride 38cm bars too.

I went the opposite direction. I outfitted a couple of my bikes with those slightly curvey rando bars at 40cm or less. Did not like them at all. I went back to regular drops at 42+ cm. I feel much more comfortable and I think it opens up my chest and makes it easier to breathe.

And the biggest difference was in standing up and pedaling. Wider bars feel MUCH more stable to me when I stand and crank.
Old 08-24-15, 07:00 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I also have gone to 38s on my drop bars. It was an accident that worked it. I thought I had 40s and found a set of Orbea CF 38s on sale from Amazon. Turns out I had 42s on my Tarmac. I was skeptical at first but now in the drops I find I punch a smaller hole making it easier to hold my speed.

Then I discovered the "old" standard bars many riders like Eddy and Marco used were 38s. Not that I could ever equate to their ability but it did cause me to buy a wool jersey, ok I would have bought it anyway.
Old 08-28-15, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
BEST advice in this thread! Figure out the width you want, THEN get out the tools!

SP
OC, OR
Old 08-29-15, 03:57 AM

Here`s my latest ergonomic bars . . .630mm wide. Helps my neck and shoulders, and still feels comfy on the pedals. I think they may not be fitted in the intended fashion . . .but you gotta admit. They have street cred . . . .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
290820151111.jpg (97.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
290820151114.jpg (97.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by peterws; 08-29-15 at 04:00 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 08-29-15, 05:24 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I had a few 550 Triples, but never a 500. 550 was considered comfortable, damped, torquey, and fast. The 500 was considered to have all the negatives of a basic big twin with none of the bennies of great handling. Frames were flexible.
Old 08-30-15, 04:00 AM

(Youre talking Kawasakis and Suzukis in the 70s/80s. . . brackets since this is off topic. I used to love those bikes)