Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Accessory that was worth the money

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Accessory that was worth the money

Old 09-03-15, 10:53 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not exactly an accessory but the best money I've spent on cycling, besides the bike, was on a Retul pro fit when I got my first road bike. Other than that, I would go with ISM Prologue saddle or my Wahoo RFLKT+ bike computer.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-10-15, 05:37 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. The ultimate, even better than Quick Stick.
Old 09-10-15, 06:38 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Puncture resistant tubes.
Transformed my commuting life.
Old 09-10-15, 10:47 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Headsweats Classic and wicking shirts
Old 09-10-15, 09:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack. The ultimate, even better than Quick Stick.
This gets good reviews but is supposedly only for mounting tires. OTOH mounting tires is when one most needs a tool that won't wreck the tube. Dunno why some tires fit so crazy tight.
Old 09-11-15, 10:10 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
This gets good reviews but is supposedly only for mounting tires. OTOH mounting tires is when one most needs a tool that won't wreck the tube. Dunno why some tires fit so crazy tight.
Not only that, but the time wasted trying to get certain tires on certain rims. Then when you're out on the road, that's the last thing you want to fool with. With that Tire Jack, you're confident that the mounting of that last few inches is "no big deal" anymore.

But I would have to say that not many riders want to carry a tool that long, like "where are you going to store it?". The other thing is the two piece construction and its frailty. That joint holding the two pieces together can break if you don't use it properly. And finally, all the You Tube examples typically show "how easy" it is to use.

My situation was not that easy. It was not a "one step" to get the last few inches seated in the rim. The tire was a Continental Grand Prix 4000-S and the rim was 50mm carbon. I had to take like 3 steps to get it mounted, doing it like one inch at a time. Then it worked.

One thing about You Tube with illustrations on "how to". It seems like the illustrator uses the easiest conditions to show a process or how good a product works.
Old 09-20-15, 08:37 PM
Stopalot

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the Super ultra lightweight Pearl Izumi jacket. I golf, ski and bike. Hands down best wind breaker jacket I have ever owned. CO2 cartridge holder tire inflator.
Old 09-21-15, 12:28 AM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I always traveled with about the same number of essential accessories, starting with perforated leather shoes and wool jersey with pockets full of tube, patch kit and odd tools.

Worst accessory was a CO2 inflator. Only time I ever had to walk out from a MTB ride. Camelback for the road made me swallow air, making me sick. A suspension stem, that sent me over the bars. I have had way too many useless or obsolete multi tools. A road racing bike or two were pretty useless, and not much fun.

Best is Dynamo lighting, saddle bag for those tubes and tools from my pockets. Double wrap of cork tape. Take-a-look mirror. Sunscreen.

My father brought a folding bike back from military service in the mid 1950s. The thing was from outer space! It had aluminum rims, components and fenders, a brazed on generator bottle light, a front brake, and precision manufacturing, the likes of which I didn't see on a bike till the late 1970s. It was faster than anything by Shwinn too.
Old 09-21-15, 07:32 PM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This time of year--lights.
Old 09-21-15, 08:11 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rixen and Kaul 'Universal' Fork Mount Bicycle Light Bracket

Easily mounted along with front fender bolt (longer one supplied) and used the new nut and washers as spacers. Fit perfect and got the light off of a handlebar riser and below my handlebar bag.

Purchased off eBay from "Practical Cycles" in the UK. Delivery was actually pretty fast to the Left Coast.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 09-21-15, 08:25 PM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cateye twin beam light.
Arm ID holder for security gates I go through
Lobster gloves for days below 30
last but not least my 8 track player - have to pedal like crazy to power generator though.
Old 09-21-15, 08:35 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
One accessory I've considered buying is a back scratcher! Sounds silly but often while riding in warm weather the back gets itchy right in the spot where it's hard to reach, esp under bike jersey. I read that some guys in LA designed a carbon fiber back scratcher; apparently they're not able to market it yet.
Old 09-21-15, 10:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
...The best thing available in the 70s was that french made light that had a white lens, and a red lens, and could be strapped onto your leg or arm. I had one, but sadly, I tossed it years ago. Probably a collectable now.
Yup, had one. Sort of a Frenchie version of those cheap green plastic right angle camping flashlights, only with a corkscrew instead of a John Wayne can opener. Probably was still in my box of rocks that I got rid of when I sold all my bike gear about 10 years ago. I suppose it was semi-useful to warn cars, but useless otherwise. I finally got a bottle generator light rig for my night commutes. It was less useless.
Old 09-21-15, 10:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Best recent worthwhile doodads:

*Mirrycle mirror. Big benefit since a neck injury hinders looking back over my left shoulder.
*Blackburn 2'FER LED light. Versatile, lightweight, bright, handy, easy to use. Not perfect, but does what Blackburn claims it does. Eventually I'll move it to the rear rack after I get a proper front headlight, but I don't plan to do much night riding.

Best older doodads that I wish I'd kept:

*Kirtland Tour Pak handlebar bag. Used that thing for 20 years and could still use it if I'd kept it.
*Zefal frame mounted air pump. Got a lot of use out of that thing on many flats, usually in the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-22-15, 06:53 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think the one item that I've been most pleased with is my Garmin Edge 200. It's simple to use and I can use it on all three of my bikes (as opposed to having three separate computers). It gives me all the info I need and compiles it nicely on my computer.
Old 09-22-15, 08:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1749 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 67 Posts
I don't ride with many accessories: no bells or mirrors or lights or computers or racks/bags or powermeters, etc.
So while not an accessory: a rainy/wet day, full fendered, vintage bike to take the abuse - thereby sparing my nicer bikes.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 09-23-15, 12:34 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dynamo front hub for my commuter.
Lobster gloves for the winter commute.
Pearl Izumi canary yellow jacket (super bright at dusk and dawn commutes and on low light rainy days).
Old 07-25-16, 09:42 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Biking accessories

1. Camelback - mine holds about three bottles worth of water. I never liked having to reach down to retrieve a bottle of water and then put it back in the cage. With the camelback, the tube is conveniently next to me.

2. Helmet mounted rear view mirror

3. Lights

4. - tunes. I have enjoyed riding more since I got this speaker. It's lightweight, clips to your handlebar, connects via bluetooth to your phone or uses a micro SD card. It's lightweight and has good sound for a tiny little package.

Last edited by Tanstaafl; 07-25-16 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 10:39 AM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the flexibility of my Topeak MTX rack/bag set up. Also like the Arbus Lite lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Topeak 06.jpg (41.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg
Topeak 07.jpg (35.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 07-25-16, 10:43 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Pretty much everything I've added since I resumed cycling last August has been worthwhile. Most gets used every ride. Some every week.

The only item that might not have been a must but might come in handy is a video camera for recording rides.
  • Bontrager BackRack S
  • Nashbar Townie grocery panniers
  • Bell Solar helmet
  • Lights: Blackburn 2'Fer and Vivo Bike Illuminati on the helmet; Serfas SL-255 and Planet Bike Blinky 5 on the bike. Turns out I'm riding much more often at night than I'd anticipated last year.
  • Cycling clothing: Casual shorts and jerseys, gloves, not racer-looking stuff, mostly heavily discounted closeouts from Nashbar, all much more comfortable than regular clothes for longer rides, although I don't always wear them for short hops.

Most recently I added an Ion Speed Pro video camera, just because the price had dropped below $70. It's rugged and weatherproof, and does well in daylight. Mediocre nighttime performance, but reviews indicate only the GoPros fare well at night and I'm not ready to spend that much. I hadn't expected to record anything interesting, but did experience several close calls/near misses the past week. So maybe it'll come in handy. I expect to delete most ride videos since they're rarely interesting enough to keep or post on YouTube.
Old 07-26-16, 05:57 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon handlebar to cancel out vibrations so things don't go numb...
Nose-less seat, ISM Adamo Peak,

Pretty much everything else were things I took off the bike.
Loosing the front gears was Nirvana, 3x9 really ? 1.1 pounds of junk OFF the bike, too may repeats and way too much rattling, I like my bike silent,
That silly plastic thing behind the cassette, Never did know why that was there,
Reflectors, especially the ones in the spokes,,they threw my wheels out of balance I swear
Old 07-26-16, 06:13 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Best money spent for me was the Vuelta Corsa Lite wheelset. I slapped those on a Cannondale racer and have been flying ever since. Next tire set will be the new and fast Michelin Power Competition. Maybe sooner if I want to.
Old 07-26-16, 06:13 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl View Post
1. Camelback - mine holds about three bottles worth of water. I never liked having to reach down to retrieve a bottle of water and then put it back in the cage. With the camelback, the tube is conveniently next to me.

2. Helmet mounted rear view mirror

3. Lights

4. - tunes. I have enjoyed riding more since I got this speaker. It's lightweight, clips to your handlebar, connects via bluetooth to your phone or uses a micro SD card. It's lightweight and has good sound for a tiny little package.

Pretty much my story too.

1. Helmet mounted mirror.

2. Shoe inserts (less hotfoot)

3. Lights (recently, the Cygolite Dart 200 and Hotshot Pro 80 for daytime use ... both excellent and inexpensive)

4. For commuting, a bluetooth speaker. Podcasts rock.
Old 07-27-16, 04:42 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Assoss bib shorts + cream (both ridiculously expensive, especially the bib shorts which come with a crazily-named 'kuku-penthouse' feature). My most recent purchase, I use them when planning to ride 80+km - just loving them

Other purchases:
~ SMP saddle (Drakon) - took longer than I expected to get comfortable, but now loving it Peace-of-mind that there is no chance of pressure on delicate areas as I try to work to a (little) more streamlined profile to reduce wind resistance
~ Knee / arm covers for summer - white - reduces impact of sun + seems to help cool one down (even more important, keeps my wife happy as she knows I do not like using the messy lotion)
~ knee warmers - used when I do not need sun protection (as I move towards my 70th birthday, I am finding I sure feel the cold in my knees)
~ Dual sided (platform/SPD) Shimano T780 pedals - balanced to lie in a position where simple to choose the desired side
~ Bike fitting (of which the fancy shoe inserts most stand out - they transformed how I feel about my inexpensive Shimano shoes). Gave me tremendous peace-of-mind when trying my first century ride that I was not going to damage myself.
~ CO2 cartridge inflator (famous last words, only used to help a stranded cyclist)
~ Garmin 800 + heart / cadence monitors (albeit even my refurbished unit not inexpensive) - simplified training myself to increase cadence + keeps wife happy that I am aware of my exertion level
Old 07-27-16, 07:20 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I recently picked up some PEARL IZUMI SUN SLEEVES, on sale. Just for fun.

I realized I wore them almost every day on our 19 day ride from South Lake Tahoe to Portland.

They kept the chill off in the early morning, but laster in the day, as long as I was moving, they seemed to keep my arms cooler than if my arms were bare. I'm calling them a win.

https://www.rei.com/product/878275/p...es-arm-warmers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.