Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Boston Bicycling Weekend (proposal)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Presumably, “veteran” Fifty-Plus subscribers are aware that we have been having Fifty-Plus Annual Rides since 2009, chronicled on a previous sticky thread; and there is a plan for one on the Columbus Day weekend in Pennsylvania proposed by @Blues Dawg. @irwin7638 has also proposed one to a wider list of sub-forums in Michigan on the last weekend in September.

We have also had two Boston Bicycling Weekends over the past two years. The previous sponsoring organization did a different multi-day tour this year. However, I recently investigated another one-day ride on Saturday, Sept 12, and I plan on proposing that one soon in a separate thread. Is anyone interested?...details to follow.
So the proposed organized ride is Tour de Streets, a 27 mile route on Sept 12 at 8:30 AM to benefit ”Liveable Streets.” Since the starting point is in an inner Boston suburb, I presume it will be a residential route through nice suburbs. There is a minimum tax-deductible pledge of $100, which does include a lunch. I myself have no association with the organization, but I did enjoy their event last year.

A suggested itinerary to make it a typical Ride Weekend would be:
  • Friday afternoon get together to include an easy ride on a scenic MUP, followed by a walk and restaurant dinner, by mutual choice.

• Saturday AM ride, then late Saturday afternoon walk and dinner.

• Sunday to be decided…ride, walk, meal, whatever.
Boston (and Cambridge) are considered to be among America’s Most Walkable Cities, and to paraphrase the former Navy recruitment commercial, ”It’s not just a walk, but an adventure.”

Some comments about the prior Boston Weekends:

Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jimfromboston). Arrived Friday afternoon and we took off for a ride around the city. Rode to Harvard University following a local MUP, and then took an on-street ride to see the USS Constitution. Great ride with plenty to see…

We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian, and ending Sunday evening at a Thai restaurant...
Originally Posted by missjean
… We did a very nice, but wet, ride through the city and along the Charles River to Harvard U. and back. Then out to dinner at Legal Seafood. After dinner, Jim lead us down to see Fenway Park…
Originally Posted by miss kenton
… Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city…We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has a great deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had had more time to see the city.

Saturday's ride was fabulous-one of the best I've experienced! The weather was perfect, the route was shady and the scenery idyllic, with a new surprise around every turn in the path…

There is something very special and unique about meeting the people behind the posts on the forums…IMO if you don't at least see the value of that opportunity, you are missing out on an amazing element of this forum…
Originally Posted by irwin7638
... I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly. I was really impressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city…
This post is right now just to get a head count of interested parties. I’d like to suggest that a minimum of three others beside myself would be sufficient to make the journey to Boston worthwhile. I’d be glad to make suggestions about directions and accommodations.
Old 09-07-15, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I would have loved to come, but I am already registered for a local farm tour ride on that date.
Old 09-07-15, 07:04 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
I usually enjoy riding in Boston, however am already committed to a local charity ride on sept 12.