Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hills - Building Strength & Stamina

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hills - Building Strength & Stamina

Old 09-12-15, 08:41 AM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Proper attention to continuous nutrition & hydration is essential for me to enjoy any ride beyond two hours. Makes the difference between grueling and enjoyable for me. Without carbohydrates it's like my power switch is flipped off somewhere between the 1-1/2 to 2 hour mark.

Last edited by BarryVee; 09-12-15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 09-12-15, 09:37 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee View Post
Proper attention to continuous nutrition & hydration is essential for me to enjoy any ride beyond two hours. Makes the difference between grueling and enjoyable for me. Without carbohydrates it's like my power switch is flipped off somewhere between the 1-1/2 to 2 hour mark.
That's interesting. How hard do you go? I ask because I don't take anything but plain water unless I'm going to be out for 3 hours, I wouldn't be in danger of bonking earlier than that unless I was really going for it.

It is possible to adapt to fat-burning so that your glycogen reserves don't get depleted so fast. Extensive hours on the bike at an easy pace (below VT1) will do that for you. Takes maybe three months, though.
Old 09-12-15, 03:37 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee View Post
Same for me - I burn through nutrition quickly, apparently faster than others in general. I can definitely benefit from a Hammer Gel every 10 miles if I wanted to carry that many packets (gonna get a flask soon, though). My HR elevates quickly, which may be the primary reason for my caloric burn rate. On my Tricross (~24 lbs fully loaded) I can cruise along the flats at 15-17 MPH and my HR will probably be between 150 and 165, maybe more depending on wind. No chest pain in the slightest, no difficulty in any way (unless it's late in the ride and I'm just running low on gas). But, crossing an interstate overpass sitting down with probably an 85-90 cadence can push it to 180+ but it comes back down. The "220 minus age" rule of thumb is way too low for me.

Anyway, I'm no hill climber, although I'm making some minor incremental progress, relatively speaking. Still, I've found that nutrition is hugely important for me (6' 2", 223 lbs, 56 YO).
Old 09-12-15, 04:22 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot View Post
Same for me - I burn through nutrition quickly, apparently faster than others in general. I can definitely benefit from a Hammer Gel every 10 miles if I wanted to carry that many packets (gonna get a flask soon, though). My HR elevates quickly, which may be the primary reason for my caloric burn rate.
If I were you I wouldn't assume that you are burning more calories than other people. It may be that you are engaging your anaerobic systems and therefore burning carbs in preference to fat even at relatively low levels of effort. I'd suggest you consider riding for some time with the objective of keeping your HR down. It'll seem slow at first, but after a few weeks you'll see an increase in your speed for a given HR, and probably a reduction in your need for carbs.
Old 09-12-15, 05:05 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
I'd suggest you consider riding for some time with the objective of keeping your HR down. It'll seem slow at first, but after a few weeks you'll see an increase in your speed for a given HR, and probably a reduction in your need for carbs.
Actually, that's what I've been trying recently, although the urge to hang with the guy in front of me is strong (the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak). I only got an HR-capable bike computer a couple of months ago. Prior to that, I had no idea, except that it seemed to take an enormous effort to keep up with other folks, one involving lots of huffing and puffing. When I saw my HR, it made sense to a degree. Even slow cruising puts me into the 140+ range. At least lately I've seen it starting to drop following "hill spikes" more that it did in the past.

Next Saturday, I'm doing the 50 mile version of Le Tour de Bayou. I'm typically a 25-40 mile rider, but I've done a couple of 50 milers (neither was very pretty, albeit for different reasons). At my current level, I'll have to make a specific effort to pace myself so I'll finish in reasonable shape. With only 700 miles ridden so far this year (!) it's difficult to build strength.
Old 09-12-15, 08:03 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lphilpot View Post
Actually, that's what I've been trying recently, although the urge to hang with the guy in front of me is strong (the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak). I only got an HR-capable bike computer a couple of months ago. Prior to that, I had no idea, except that it seemed to take an enormous effort to keep up with other folks, one involving lots of huffing and puffing. When I saw my HR, it made sense to a degree. Even slow cruising puts me into the 140+ range. At least lately I've seen it starting to drop following "hill spikes" more that it did in the past.

Next Saturday, I'm doing the 50 mile version of Le Tour de Bayou. I'm typically a 25-40 mile rider, but I've done a couple of 50 milers (neither was very pretty, albeit for different reasons). At my current level, I'll have to make a specific effort to pace myself so I'll finish in reasonable shape. With only 700 miles ridden so far this year (!) it's difficult to build strength.
Hope; your ride went well.

Thanks all for the excellent advice. Strategy, two days a week climbing hills till spent and other days LSD (Long Slow Distance). Time and frequency of exercise / riding I'm sure will help.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)