Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you sell your old bike or keep it?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you sell your old bike or keep it?

Old 09-07-15, 12:12 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I won't sell a bike that fits.
I'm curious about this. Why would you have a bike that didn't fit in the first place?
Old 09-07-15, 01:11 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
My wife and I agreed (I was forced to agree) that if I have more bikes than I have room for.... I should develop a plan to correct that problem (decide which one to sell).
My wife and I did too. But with different results. In the divorce, she got the dining room table and I use the dining room for bicycle parking.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-07-15, 01:38 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
I'm curious about this. Why would you have a bike that didn't fit in the first place?
What fit me when I was 16 no longer fits me today. As I get older, I like a stretched fit on a larger frame. I also want a moderate drop from the saddle to the handlebar.

I was the original owner of a 1974 Schwinn Paramount. The bike was a tight, race oriented fit that I liked when I owned it as a teenager. As I got older, I could no longer enjoy riding it on longer rides. One of the reasons was the fit, it was never really comfortable for recreational rides.

This is one of my current bikes and an example of how much larger the frames I ride are today;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-07-15 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 01:41 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
What fit me when I was 16 doesn't fit me today. As I get older, I like a stretched fit on a larger frame.

I was the original owner of a 1974 Schwinn Paramount. The bike was a tight, race oriented fit when I owned it as a teenager. I stopped riding it. One of the reasons was the fit, it was never really comfortable on longer rides.
ah, OK. Being 16 is too long ago for me to remember, let alone still have the bike I rode then.

I like the Serotta.
Old 09-07-15, 01:42 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 327 Posts
I've sold a few but mostly I keep accumulating. It's hard to find people who want my old bikes as badly as I want to keep them. I thought that I had my fixed gear conversion sold twice but both buyers were the wrong size.
Old 09-07-15, 01:48 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I'm not a clutter guy, and my bikes live in whats supposed to be a woodshop, so 3 of them is a bit much. My wife is great and said to store it in the bedroom rather than sell it. I thought it over on a long ride today and just posted it on Craigslist. Had the same dilemna a few years back and sold my mid eighties Trek Elance for a song. I still miss it as it had an oval crank that I just loved. Its a little like moving on to a new girlfriend.
Old 09-07-15, 01:55 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler View Post
Its a little like moving on to a new girlfriend.
Really? I mean, I'm always interested in a new ride, but in my experience bikes aren't great conversationalists...
Old 09-07-15, 02:58 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put one bikes on Craigslist today. The decision came down to the fact that it will most likely not see much use now that I have a new bike to replace it. That said, it is hard to give up a good bike that really has served me well. The realist in me knows that someone else will enjoy it also, so now it will not go to waste just sitting in my garage.
Old 09-07-15, 05:08 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
..... I use the dining room for bicycle parking.
Sounds like that all worked out well.
Old 09-10-15, 09:52 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
I just put one bikes on Craigslist today. The decision came down to the fact that it will most likely not see much use now that I have a new bike to replace it. That said, it is hard to give up a good bike that really has served me well. The realist in me knows that someone else will enjoy it also, so now it will not go to waste just sitting in my garage.
I just wanted to update this a little, instead of starting a new tread. I sold the bike that I listed in two days. I ended up selling to a young man that had no other form of transportation, and had recently had his bike stolen. He is recently out of the military and seemed to be a straight up good guy. In the end, I'm glad that he ended up with bike, he will use it more then I would have if I had kept it. Also, it felt good to sell it to someone who appreciated it.
Old 09-11-15, 06:08 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 164 Posts
Thanks for that update, HP, you did very well in the sale of your old steed to a young man, a veteran, needing transportation. What goes around, comes around, and I think that you are due some good karma.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-11-15, 07:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 2,627 Times in 1,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
I just wanted to update this a little, instead of starting a new tread. I sold the bike that I listed in two days. I ended up selling to a young man that had no other form of transportation, and had recently had his bike stolen. He is recently out of the military and seemed to be a straight up good guy. In the end, I'm glad that he ended up with bike, he will use it more then I would have if I had kept it. Also, it felt good to sell it to someone who appreciated it.
Now that is a win-win. I gave one of my bikes to my nephew, who had lost his driver's license, and he got around on it until he lost it, (we think he sold it for booze money). Gave another to a guy who worked with me, (he was supposed to give me $100, but never did). Sold my CAAD5 to a friend's brother for $300, quite a deal.
Old 09-11-15, 07:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 1,863 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I've sold a few but mostly I keep accumulating. It's hard to find people who want my old bikes as badly as I want to keep them. I thought that I had my fixed gear conversion sold twice but both buyers were the wrong size.
Yeah I have the same problem. I do need to move some bikes though. My garage is getting cluttered. Plus I picked up 3 new to me/old bikes recently. That tells me it's time to purge!
Old 09-11-15, 11:58 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
Yeah I have the same problem. I do need to move some bikes though. My garage is getting cluttered. Plus I picked up 3 new to me/old bikes recently. That tells me it's time to purge!
Yeah, I have the same problem! My wife keeps bugging me to sell her Paramount, which she doesn't ride anymore as she has two disc brake road bikes she prefers (a LeMond and a RedLine). And I really should sell my 853 GT Edge too since it's functionally so close to my Titanium GT Edge.

Other than that, it's all specific bikes for specific needs, so the fixed gear stays (plus I'm emotionally attached to that one, a California MASI from '75), the Ti GT stays, (my club ride bike), the Mercian touring bike stays, the KHS carbon Flight Team stays (my double century bike), the GT Zaskar mountain bike stays, the non-descript commuter bike stays (gets a lot of use, that one!).

I guess my old '57 Hercules 3-Speed should go too . . . not that anyone would want it. Used to ride it a lot before I built up the commute specific bike.

Still lots of bikes around the house but my wife doesn't mind . . . as long as I get rid of her Paramount!

On the N- side I did sell the other Ti GT to a friend and sold my Calfee Tetra through Craig's List . . . so I have made some (small) progress.

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 09-11-15 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 03:38 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Most of my bikes I've ridden until they were replaced by something better. Sometimes I don't ride a particular style of bike anymore so sell. Its always sad to let a bike go. I still have my 2001 Litespeed. Undoubtedly the nicest bike I've ever owned.
I started with a 1999 Raleigh R600 road bike. Rode it for 2 years then turned it into a commuter and rode it for 3 more years. Sold it when I got a new commuter, 2005 Jamis Nova. Rode it until 2010. Changed it back to it original purpose (a cyclocross bike) in 2009. Then decided I wanted a different CX bike so sold it and got a 2007 Giant TCX. Rode it for a year as a CX bike. Got tired of it. and got a 2009 Kona Jake CX bike. Rode it for a year and hated selling it. I really liked it but wasn't riding the CX trails anymore. Wish I still had it. Then bought a 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite. Never got used to it even after 2 bike fittings so sold it 9 months later. Bought a 2011 Felt Z4. Really liked it but decided to get rid of it (no room for it) and bought a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10. A car-bike accident took it away so bought a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon. Now that I've been diagnosed with spinal stenosis (lumber) my spine doc said it isn't "high quality" carbon and is hard on my spine (he gave the thumbs up to the Litespeed) so I'm trading the Cannondale in for a 2016 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod carbon in a few weeks.
I've loved them all, except the Spesh, and miss most of them. But I still love my Litespeed.

After hearing my story do you think I'm fickle?
I test rode a bike a few weeks ago. After thinking and comparing bikes I made the decision to trade my Cannondale 2015 SuperSix EVO 105. Picked up the bike today I did the test ride on. It's my new "comfort/therapy" bike (now I have 2 of them ). Got an awesome deal on a demo bike -- a 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Team bike. I'm happy, my wife is happy for me, and my spine doc will be happy.

Here's a pic I took when I stopped for water during the 22 mile test ride I did a few weeks ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0525.jpg (102.6 KB, 19 views)

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-29-15, 04:01 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I've liked almost all my bikes - that's why I got them. But I do like building up bikes and trying them out and I have no compunction in getting rid of one that no longer gets ridden much.

I've happily got down to three bikes - a road, hybrid and mtb, and any of those could go if a better one comes along.

I just sold today a renovated 1989 mtb to a first year university student as his daily college transport. He was over the moon to get it and i was happy to see it getting used.
Old 09-29-15, 05:48 PM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I hadn't sold my Paramount 15 years ago - was the best bike for longer rides I ever owned.
Old 09-29-15, 06:14 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I have maybe 9-13 bikes, I really don't know...I just stopped counting at some point. I sell or give a bike away, ship bikeflights.com, and somehow two more arrive. It's sad, I am a bike magnet. I have a separate storage shelter for my bikes, it is depressing. I may put aside my Roubaix, worldtraveler, MTB, maybe a fixie and take the rest of the bikes to charity and simply give them away. i hate the idea of selling on eBay or CL, essentially throwing away $1000 of dollars of upgrades for pennies on the dollar to some sniper.

I'd rather simple share the joy with someone who appreciates getting something nice. Maybe I need to visit a local college campus.

My two cents - get rid of bikes you don't ride; they become anchors.
Old 09-30-15, 10:51 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a thing... bike in - bike out. Keeps the garage from getting too cluttered (still I have 3 mountain bikes, 3 road bikes and a commuter). That said; I still have several old bikes. My original mountain bike - a 1986 Spec. Rockhopper I call the Frankenwiener - has been converted to a commuter bike. I have my old 2002 Lemond Zurich. Couldn't sell it for anything and if my new road bike craps out I have a spare. But I have sold a number of bikes and given bikes to charity. One bike I wish I didn't sell - a specialized M4 hardtail. After I fixed it up and blinged it out it was beautiful. The buyer got a smokin' deal and I miss how fun that bike was.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-30-15, 04:20 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As long as N+1 <= S - 1, keep it. Especially if you only have two now, as the new one may need to go to the shop occassionally, and you can still ride the old one.

Or if someone visits that's about your size, you two can go on an easy ride together.

GH
Old 09-30-15, 08:07 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I upgraded from a Giant Cypress to a Giant Escape 1. I decided to keep the Cypress for when I go riding with my wife and when it rains. It's also nice to have a spare if your bike needs servicing.
Old 09-30-15, 09:30 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I can't part with bikes or books.
Old 09-30-15, 09:43 PM
Hill-Pumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strangely I find myself in this quandary again. A little over two weeks ago I sold one of my bikes since I replaced it with another bike. What I did not expect is that it would be so good, that I'm not sure that it won't be replacing another bike as well. The new gravel bike is performing close my to what my road bike does. With lighter wheels, it may surpass it in many ways. It was only meant to be winter/ gravel bike, but when I go to my bike rack, the I pick it for my road rides now. I hate seeing the money tied up in a good road bike that may not see much use. I have another road bike that I could use as a back up bike also, so there is one less excuse to keep it. I'll figure it out, but this is not something that ever thought I would have to consider.
Old 10-02-15, 09:16 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
I have 13 bikes. For 2015, 11 of them will be ridden at least 600 miles, the other two at least 500. Spread the fun.
Old 10-02-15, 10:31 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,444 Posts
When I sold my 1976 Motobecane, Detto Pietros, tools, spare bits and all over 10 years ago after a car wreck, I figured I'd never ride again and wouldn't miss that stuff. But after a decade I began to recover a bit and really missed the sensation.

Now that I'm riding again (a Globe Carmel comfy/hybrid with upright riding position), I'm wondering whether I could have modified that Motobecane to suit my limited neck and back mobility.

I don't usually get too hung up on stuff, but that bike, along with my Rolleiflex 2.8C TLR, are among the handful of things I have some pangs of regret about selling. I enjoyed making little modifications to the bike, such as tweaking the gearing to suit my commuting route as it changed over the years. And while I didn't neglect or abuse the bike, I didn't fret over wear. Each chip in the paint and pavement scrape on the bars and pedals had a memory.

But the most important part is that I'm still enjoying photography with the equipment I do have, and enjoying riding again with the bike I have. I can enjoy those little pangs with bittersweet reminiscence, yet without recriminations and obsession over the past.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.