Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you sell your old bike or keep it?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-06-15, 05:58 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Lots of new bike threads going on. I just purchased a 2016 Robaiux SL4 comp and for the very first time in my life I have a bike that fits me well. Had it for 3 days now and have 120 miles or so on it and wow!

I'm having a hard time letting go of my 08' Trek Madone. It never fit me that well and I needed to add a stem riser to accomodate my bad beck etc. But, It is light and fast and was my ride for the past 7 years, so there's an emotional attachment. I took pics of it and was about to post it on Craigslist when my wife talked me out of it. It is still in great shape.

So, when you buy a bike do you also get rid of one or do you keep accumulating?
Old 09-06-15, 06:00 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2913 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,111 Posts
Sold my 2012 Madone 4.6c.. .too nice to let it sit in the garage.
Old 09-06-15, 06:52 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
First I never want to have only one bike, if your main bike is in the shop or you have to wait on a part you have nothing to ride
I am happy with most of my keeper bikes, I went through my records,and my 4 keeper bikes have at least 50 miles. Yes I record every time I ride. I tend to have a fixer upper bike( or three) most of the time, as I like to tinker . Most of the time these are old bikes like Ross, Schwinn, Concord etc mid grade bikes I can't stomach going to scrap when with a little love they could be used again . Sometimes I rescue a Huffy or Murray or Roadmaster even. If it is a real one not a name only P.O.S. For years I sold them on craigslist most of the time getting my money back Sometimes making a little Anymore I have moved to putting those bikes in the hands of people that need a bike or people I think giving them a bike will get them into riding .
At least 2 bikes in my keepers would be hard to part with they are my first good bikes, one was my first custom bike and the other is becoming custom a little at a time,
I don't know if My rambling helps but it is the way I think
Roy
Old 09-06-15, 06:59 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Which one?
Seriously though... I buy them, build them up to my preferences & ride them for a while. If I like them, they stay forever. If I don't, I sell them. I don't see any sense in keeping something that isn't truly special.
Old 09-06-15, 08:16 PM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it never fit well move it on to someone it does fit. The Madone and new owner will be happy.Then you will have to find a replacement for it. Win Win. Hey, just send it to me.
Old 09-06-15, 09:03 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 291 Posts
Gave it to my daughter. :-)
Old 09-06-15, 09:15 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler View Post
...... So, when you buy a bike do you also get rid of one or do you keep accumulating?
My wife and I discussed this.... LOTS of guys have this discussion. There is much written about this and even a "rule" (number 12) Velominati ? The Rules.

I have proper storage for 4 bicycles. My wife and I agreed (I was forced to agree) that if I have more bikes than I have room for.... I should develop a plan to correct that problem (decide which one to sell).

I have my daily rider. I have a rain bike/spare/back-up. I have a cro-mo lugged steel vintage-ish wall hanger. And I have a go-faster lightweight.

I need to find more storage options.... as I would also like a mountain bike.
Likes For Dave Cutter:
Old 09-06-15, 09:26 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 275 Posts
I keep them. But then, they are vintage racers.
Old 09-06-15, 11:12 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
My wife and I discussed this.... LOTS of guys have this discussion. There is much written about this and even a "rule" (number 12) Velominati ? The Rules.

I have proper storage for 4 bicycles. My wife and I agreed (I was forced to agree) that if I have more bikes than I have room for.... I should develop a plan to correct that problem (decide which one to sell).

I have my daily rider. I have a rain bike/spare/back-up. I have a cro-mo lugged steel vintage-ish wall hanger. And I have a go-faster lightweight.

I need to find more storage options.... as I would also like a mountain bike.
So funny. I've had similar conversations with my wife. So far however she's offering creative storage solutions. What can I say, I'm blessed.
Old 09-06-15, 11:45 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
So funny. I've had similar conversations with my wife. So far however she's offering creative storage solutions. What can I say, I'm blessed.
You are blessed... we both are. Nether my wife or I like clutter. It is just much easier to see the other persons clutter. My wife even offered up her bicycle (which she rarely rides) so I could have "her space". Another discussion involved replacing our (backyard) storage shed with one that could also hold bicycles.

But I really don't want a collection that is in storage ether. So I am not a collector... or a flipper. But I do find "better bikes" and sell off bikes I've fixed up and enjoyed for a period. It's really worked out very well for me. The "not having enough space for all my enviable toys"... is a modern day 1st world problem. I am glad to be here to enjoy it. It really isn't that I've contributed so much to society that I've earned this.
Old 09-06-15, 11:56 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Some I sell. Some I give to my sons. Some I keep and modify enough so they'll do something the new bike isn't configured to do. I try to never have two bikes that are built for exactly the same kind of riding, but I also try to never be without an alternate bike that could fill in for a bike that can't be ridden for some reason. I use N+1 to gather enough bikes with overlapping but not identical functions.
Old 09-07-15, 01:07 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
Some I sell. Some I give to my sons. Some I keep and modify enough so they'll do something the new bike isn't configured to do. I try to never have two bikes that are built for exactly the same kind of riding, but I also try to never be without an alternate bike that could fill in for a bike that can't be ridden for some reason. I use N+1 to gather enough bikes with overlapping but not identical functions.
Similar. I keep bikes that I am likely to ride, and sell or donate bikes that won't get used. So I currently have four. SS/FG for tooling around town, heavy tourer for, er, heavy touring, carbon racing bike, custom steel road bike wi a triple for long days in the hills. I wouldn't keep a bike that closely duplicated the function of any of these, and I certainly wouldn't keep a bike out of any sort of "emotional attachment". My emotional attachment is to cycling, not to some particular piece of machinery.

Last edited by chasm54; 09-07-15 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-07-15, 04:23 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 106 Posts
I won't sell a bike that fits. However, if the bike doesn't fit well and is functionally identical to other bikes in the collection it will be either sold or dismantled and the parts will be used to upgrade older bikes in the collection or the parts will be used with a new frameset. I have no love for a bikes that doesn't fit well.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-07-15 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-07-15, 06:07 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Is accumulating bikes a pack rat condition? I found some bike museums for those vintage bikes. But then each museum needs funding.

The Marin Museum of Bicycling and Mountain Bike Hall of Fame
https://localwiki.org/davis/California_Bicycle_Museum
Bicycle Museum of America
Old 09-07-15, 06:42 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Most of my bikes I've ridden until they were replaced by something better. Sometimes I don't ride a particular style of bike anymore so sell. Its always sad to let a bike go. I still have my 2001 Litespeed. Undoubtedly the nicest bike I've ever owned.
I started with a 1999 Raleigh R600 road bike. Rode it for 2 years then turned it into a commuter and rode it for 3 more years. Sold it when I got a new commuter, 2005 Jamis Nova. Rode it until 2010. Changed it back to it original purpose (a cyclocross bike) in 2009. Then decided I wanted a different CX bike so sold it and got a 2007 Giant TCX. Rode it for a year as a CX bike. Got tired of it. and got a 2009 Kona Jake CX bike. Rode it for a year and hated selling it. I really liked it but wasn't riding the CX trails anymore. Wish I still had it. Then bought a 2010 Specialized Tarmac Elite. Never got used to it even after 2 bike fittings so sold it 9 months later. Bought a 2011 Felt Z4. Really liked it but decided to get rid of it (no room for it) and bought a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10. A car-bike accident took it away so bought a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon. Now that I've been diagnosed with spinal stenosis (lumber) my spine doc said it isn't "high quality" carbon and is hard on my spine (he gave the thumbs up to the Litespeed) so I'm trading the Cannondale in for a 2016 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod carbon in a few weeks.
I've loved them all, except the Spesh, and miss most of them. But I still love my Litespeed.

After hearing my story do you think I'm fickle?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-07-15, 07:43 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts
We live in a small house and the general rule is that when something new comes in the old one goes out. For years I had two bikes, a road bike and an everything else bike. I stuck to the rule; "everything else" bikes came and went. Last spring, though, I built up a new-to-me road bike and I can't bring myself to sell the old one. I managed to fit an extra hook in the storage space, and the wonderful wife approved. Three bikes is the limit, though.

A related problem is that I like to tinker and my bikes are all just how I want them. My wife's old touring bike is calling for a makeover. When that's done I'll be in a bind.
Old 09-07-15, 07:59 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Last week I sold my 94 Trek 520 on which I had toured numerous states. I didn't ride it much and it seemed a bit small since I had TKR on both knees. I put the original wheels and parts on it and let it go.

The kid who bought it plans to start this week on the TransAm.

No regrets, and I have enough $ to buy me a new frame and start over.
Old 09-07-15, 08:35 AM
Legacy2

Bikes: 2015 Trek X-Caliber 7, 2016 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm giving my Trek 3500 to my daughter. She is just wanting to start cycling some trails and this will be a good beginner for her until she determines if she wants to stick with cycling. She is 2" shorter than me so it should fit her beautifully. We'll find out next week!
Old 09-07-15, 08:59 AM
big john

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,424 Posts
I've sold a few, broken a few, and given some away. I have a 1988 Cannondale touring bike I should get rid of, haven't ridden it since 2007.
I don't get emotionally attached to things like bikes or cars and have no interest in working on stuff outside of normal maintenance.
Old 09-07-15, 09:15 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 56 Posts
You really mean "should" or "will" ------- right?
Old 09-07-15, 10:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
I have kept the DIY bike frame and fork I made in 1975. it has been repurposed with component and accessory changes over time.
Old 09-07-15, 10:44 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 322 Posts
I currently have one mountain bike and four road bikes, one of which is a long term project. Four different bikes in working order, with four different purposes:

fast, fun, fair-weather friend (and affordable male midlife crisis alternative to an Italian sports car) -- Bianchi

comfortable and stable on a long ride, sports touring geometry -- Capo

theft-resistant general-purpose utility beater and commuter -- Peugeot

offroad plus some utility riding -- Schwinn

I am at my storage limit, so anything new coming in would be at the expense of one of these going out.

I did give my beloved 1980 Peugeot PKN-10 to my elder son, because it fits him perfectly, but it was too tall and too long for me.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-07-15, 11:26 AM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rule: if the utility of a second bike exceeds the value or amount received from the sale of the first bike then keep it.

So storage and finances can trump this rule.

While a bit if a luxury, found having second road bike is good when new bike is in shop or to give the bike a rest. I ride two 30 mile recovery rides a week at about 16 MPH or less and the second bike is great. This allows newer bike for bigger and faster rides and spreads wear and tear on tires, chains, dérailleurs etc.

So yes I see the value of keeping a second bike. Also may end up getting a Summer place which would be a time to bring bike there to have some use.

Kind of like a second refrigerator. Don't need one but my you like having it at various times.
Old 09-07-15, 11:36 AM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Of the nine bikes in my garage, only three do I claim. And two are going into the lbs tomorrow, so I am down to one rideable bike. Maybe it's time for that n+1 thing.

I usually sell my bikes after I upgrade them, but only to friends/family for a fraction of what they are worth. I've put a poor student and a struggling (financially) new cyclist on carbon for less than what the drive trains would cost.
Old 09-07-15, 11:51 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm all about having a spare bike or two in case my main rider is down. I like to keep one beater also, never know when it will come in handy. While I was living car free I used to lock my beater up at the Greyhound bus stop for a few days at a time and not worry about it. My greatest regret was selling my '86 full Campy Pinarello a few years ago. So to the OP; keep your bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.