Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

20 Mile Ride Today = Four Honking, One Honking and Yelling - Ride the sidewalks!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

20 Mile Ride Today = Four Honking, One Honking and Yelling - Ride the sidewalks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 04:16 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For those of you who live in S. California - South Orange County I connected to Camino Capistrano to Camino de Estrella and back for a total of 20 miles. Outbound was into a stiff 5 to 10 mph wind and a decent tailwind on the way home. It is one of the few relatively flat rides around here.

Camino Capistrano has a few short steep sections once you get closer to Camino de Estrella, but for the most part it is a straight rolling ride. Most of it has a bike lane, though there are lots or cars parked in it and in one section a lot of semi-tractor trailer rigs. There are quite a few sections where the bike lane ends due to intersections and on ramps to Interstate 5.

Southbound I had four honking, two were when we were all stopped for a red light with right hand turn lane and then back into a bicycle lane. Why are they honking? No one is going anywhere until the light changes. It isn't that difficult to keep up for a car length and then move to the side ensuring I am past the right hand turn folks and back into the bike lane. One was a tow truck who started honking a quarter mile back in an area with no bike lane and I was up against the shoulder. Last and most impressive was some idiot in a BMW 500 series with his widow down who passes me in a bike lane yelling for me to get on the sidewalk. Literally 1 minute later he was stuck at a red light with a right hand turn lane and the straight lane. I could have pulled in behind him, but chose to pull in behind the second car to avoid a road rage incident. That would have been me beating him with my tire pump. LOL!

The ride home was uneventful with the exception of a California Highway Patrol car coming towards me far below the speed limit and when we made eye contact he gave me a thumbs up. He then turned around and drove by slowly to let me know he liked my bike.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 09-14-15, 05:18 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas
For those of you who live in S. California - South Orange County I connected to Camino Capistrano to Camino de Estrella and back for a total of 20 miles. Outbound was into a stiff 5 to 10 mph wind and a decent tailwind on the way home. It is one of the few relatively flat rides around here.

Camino Capistrano has a few short steep sections once you get closer to Camino de Estrella, but for the most part it is a straight rolling ride. Most of it has a bike lane, though there are lots or cars parked in it and in one section a lot of semi-tractor trailer rigs. There are quite a few sections where the bike lane ends due to intersections and on ramps to Interstate 5.

Southbound I had four honking, two were when we were all stopped for a red light with right hand turn lane and then back into a bicycle lane. Why are they honking? No one is going anywhere until the light changes. It isn't that difficult to keep up for a car length and then move to the side ensuring I am past the right hand turn folks and back into the bike lane. One was a tow truck who started honking a quarter mile back in an area with no bike lane and I was up against the shoulder. Last and most impressive was some idiot in a BMW 500 series with his widow down who passes me in a bike lane yelling for me to get on the sidewalk. Literally 1 minute later he was stuck at a red light with a right hand turn lane and the straight lane. I could have pulled in behind him, but chose to pull in behind the second car to avoid a road rage incident. That would have been me beating him with my tire pump. LOL!

The ride home was uneventful with the exception of a California Highway Patrol car coming towards me far below the speed limit and when we made eye contact he gave me a thumbs up. He then turned around and drove by slowly to let me know he liked my bike.
The odd thing is that I was in the OC riding with a number of people on Sunday, and we got beeped at a number of times too. But they were friendly beeps. We had some people actually cheering us on as they drove by.

I was riding with an older group than usual ... maybe they thought we needed the encouragement. lol

Old 09-14-15, 05:56 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Dang! OC sounds like a pretty rough neighborhood to ride. We went to the Tall Ship festival at Dana Point on Saturday and I was amazed at all the bike lanes everywhere. Lots of riders out too. I told Jayna that we need to come back with our bikes and do a little exploring. Maybe not . . . if people are so antagonistic towards bicycles.
Old 09-14-15, 06:26 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Do you have better places to ride or is this a necessary part of your way home?
Old 09-14-15, 06:58 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
A 5-10mph wind isnt stiff, it's just a breeze. A stiff wind is more like 20mph.

Anyyyyyyways.....you did much better than I would have.
Old 09-14-15, 07:42 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
The nice thing about being honked is that it verifies that the motorist has actually seen you.

I have forced myself to learn the proper response (a friendly wave, never the one-finger salute or a shouted profanity).
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-14-15, 07:42 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
D. Maybe not . . . if people are so antagonistic towards bicycles.
Only BMW drivers. It replaced the Cadillac as the choice ride of the A hole a decade or more ago.
Old 09-14-15, 07:50 PM

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Most, but not all OC drivers are pretty courteous to bikes in my experience. I have had people yell and throw stuff at me in Laguna Beach, but not elsewhere.
Old 09-14-15, 07:55 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
Only BMW drivers. It replaced the Cadillac as the choice ride of the A hole a decade or more ago.
My younger son resembles that remark. He drives a 1991 3-series 4-door sedan, which is basically Germany's rear drive answer to the Honda Civic, and he definitely knows to be patient and safe around bicyclists.

What is the difference between BMW and cactus?

The ****** are on the inside instead of the outside.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-14-15, 08:10 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
Dang! OC sounds like a pretty rough neighborhood to ride. We went to the Tall Ship festival at Dana Point on Saturday and I was amazed at all the bike lanes everywhere. Lots of riders out too. I told Jayna that we need to come back with our bikes and do a little exploring. Maybe not . . . if people are so antagonistic towards bicycles.
Dana Point is a great place to ride. Getting back to my place is a bit of a chore for me at my current level. There are some major hills coming out of Dana Point. The traffic is pretty slow speed as well in the areas with bike lanes.

I'ld go for it. Nice trail headed past Doheny State Park.

Old 09-14-15, 08:11 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
The nice thing about being honked is that it verifies that the motorist has actually seen you.

I have forced myself to learn the proper response (a friendly wave, never the one-finger salute or a shouted profanity).
That is what I did with the tow truck. I waved the left hand up and down and pointed left and he moved over giving me plenty of room.

Old 09-14-15, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Last and most impressive was some idiot in a BMW 500 series with his widow down who passes me in a bike lane yelling for me to get on the sidewalk. Literally 1 minute later he was stuck at a red light with a right hand turn lane and the straight lane. I could have pulled in behind him, but chose to pull in behind the second car to avoid a road rage incident. That would have been me beating him with my tire pump. LOL!
No, no no! Pumps aren't made for beating people. The pump gets ruined if you do that. Far better to insert the pump into some dark, soft hole where it is protected from damage during any altercation.
Old 09-14-15, 09:16 PM
Fred E Fenders

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
No, no no! Pumps aren't made for beating people. The pump gets ruined if you do that. Far better to insert the pump into some dark, soft hole where it is protected from damage during any altercation.
I think that might actually work with the liberal use of a dry lube.

Old 09-14-15, 11:17 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My response to "Sidewalk!" is "Parking Lot!"

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-15-15, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Last and most impressive was some idiot in a BMW 500 series with his widow down who passes me in a bike lane yelling for me to get on the sidewalk.
I wonder which part of the term, "sideWALK" he didn't understand.
Old 09-15-15, 11:41 AM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I'm grateful that for the most part people around where I live and ride are really pretty courteous to bikers. The only time I've been yelled at in recent memory was a "Get off the road!" during a snow storm. Now that I think about it, it probably wasn't bad advice.
That being said a cyclist was killed about a month ago on a state highway that I ride fairly often. He was riding on the eight-foot-wide shoulder and got hit by someone who was texting.
Old 09-15-15, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
No honking. But I did have a Jeep full of coeds moon me. Delightful!
Old 09-16-15, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Are you sure they were all honking at you? I've put 7000 miles on bikes over the last 2 seasons and maybe I've been honked at twice. It sounds like people in your area need to chill.
Old 09-16-15, 11:42 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I ride in Orange County all the time, but I pick my poison. Twenty five years ago I would ride roads exclusively and everywhere... Laguna Beach, Irvine, San Clemente, etc.

Now I am more careful about the roads I ride and plan my route accordingly. Some roads are just not worth it. If I can find a good trail, as a connector, I'll take that before dealing with crazy distracted drivers on some roads. I think it is pretty universal in highly populated areas that people don't have patience. Plus California is auto dependent so most everyone drives and do not take some form of public transportation.

Right or wrong, I'd probably drop down to PCH and pick up the trail at Doheny and go from there.

John
Old 09-16-15, 09:30 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Gee--------------and I thot people in Southern Calif were supposed to laid back.
Old 09-16-15, 10:56 PM

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Seems like a attitudes are seasonal. In long beach today someone honked and flashed light at me at a red light. Traffic suddenly seems really chaotic. May have been the same person that honked the last 3 times in as many years, because it was the same neighborhood and same type of car.
Old 09-18-15, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
We do have a problem using the bike paths (ole railway lines) cos theyre full of cyclists. Mostly retired young, who go out in large groups. And Yours Truly is always facing em. . . .
Guess who has the priviledge of giving way. . .If ya cant beat em. . .
Old 09-18-15, 08:22 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
Seems like a attitudes are seasonal..
There's something to that.

About this time of year I quit commuting on the bike till spring.

It's not just the lack of daylight, attention span and tempers seem to shorten with day length.
Old 09-18-15, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Gee--------------and I thot people in Southern Calif were supposed to laid back.
That's what I thought as well, until 1982.

I spent the summer of '82 in Southern Cali, staying with friends in Tujunga. I have never, ever, encountered people with such
short fuses. Must be something in the air / water. Or, maybe it's all the fires.

Now, a disclaimer: I own a BMW and I am a cyclist. I have learned that A-holes can drive pretty much anything,
but my own observations and experience tell me that the worst / most belligerent are the "Honda Chicks" I have mentioned before.
i.e. young females, with Honda automobiles.
Old 09-19-15, 11:47 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
A 5-10mph wind isnt stiff, it's just a breeze. A stiff wind is more like 20mph.

Anyyyyyyways.....you did much better than I would have.
Agree. Faced some nasty headwinds in the past month. Think they were a tad more than 5 - 10. These were the flags at Prout's Neck one day when I rode 26 miles.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FlagsAtProutsNeck.jpg (76.3 KB, 3 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.