Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bi-Focal Cycling Glasses

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bi-Focal Cycling Glasses

Old 09-08-18, 05:51 PM

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Based on my needs for the PH24 and The DAMn, I went with the Tifosi glasses. They arrived this week and I got them out for a fast ride yesterday, REALLY LIKE THEM. My one negative is that the photo-chromatic lenses don't get very dark in bright light. I would not like these lenses for snow or other very bright environments. I'm looking forward to testing them through the night at PH24 next month.
Next time try Transitions XTRActive. They come in 2 colors Gray or Brown. I have had both but Brown is best for cycling due to better contrast. These get extremely dark like full sunglasses. Indoors they are almost totally clear.
Old 09-13-18, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
I have been using Rudy Project Rydons with standard interchangeable lenses with a prescription insert for many years. They are prescribed with a +2.0 for far sighting. Recently, in addition to the inserts I am using Rydons lens with a small window with a +2.0 so through the window and the prescription inserts I can easily read the bike computer. It's not as convenient as bi-focals, but is a solution for me. Not cheap though.
Old 09-27-18, 04:06 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just received my prescription sunglasses from SportRX this week. I have to say, the quality is top notch! Fit and comfort is superb. It took just over 4 weeks from ordering until I received them. Price, with a $90 off code, came in within reason, in my opinion, considering the details, High Index, Transitions, Progressive, Scratch coating, Anti Fog, Mirrored. I had to go with a model that was not my first choice due to my MASSIVE level of correction needed, and went progressive. Today will be my first opportunity to ride with them, dang sunset is too early already! This pair will replace my old Performance Bike house brand with prescription insert that I got before needing the bifocal. Well over 10 years on the insert, but is the second frame. I'll let ya know how this pair performs as far as wind protection after the ride.
Old 09-27-18, 01:56 PM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I rode an hour wearing the new glasses. I chose from the cycling category when ordering them, so expected the performance to be good. As I said previously, the quality is fantastic! I was not disappointed. Riding into the wind and they blocked the wind just fine. It was an overcast morning, not bright sunshine. The lenses tinted enough, but not so much that I felt too dark. I was able to see the Garmin screen and read it perfectly. The staff at SportRx did a great job of placing the point of the bifocal. I have nothing bad to say about the glasses. I had the old shades with insert for over 10 years. If this pair lasts that long, It will be a great investment for improving my cycling experience.