Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bi-Focal Cycling Glasses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bi-Focal Cycling Glasses

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 12:35 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bumping an old thread.... anybody riding [specific product]
No But my LBS sells that brand..
Old 07-13-18, 07:48 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
For cycling, I just use ordinary bifocals with transitional (auto-tint) lenses.
Old 07-14-18, 08:30 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
Check out Dual Eyewear Sunglasses and Bifocal Sunglasses - Official Site I've bought a couple pairs here and quite like them.
For anyone who needs glasses to read up close does not need a great deal of distance correction, these work great. Their customer service and warranty work is great.
Old 07-15-18, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Boardwalk, Specialized Roubaix, Dahon Speed D7, Specialized Roll Elite, Pedego City Commuter Platinum

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Unindicted Co-Conspirator and I both wear progressives. We just got new Oakley sunglasses in our respective prescriptions from Lenscrafters. Pricy, but well worth it.
Old 07-15-18, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I used Home Depot tinted safety glasses that had bifocal lens which worked pretty well for reading the computer but, personally, was annoying after awhile. Now I carry one like this https://www.amazon.com/Foster-GrantG.../dp/B01N20KX0H which folds up small enough to carry around.

For prescriptions at cheap prices, https://www.eyebuydirect.com/ and you can add tint and bifocal options to some of the lenses. It adds up though.
Old 07-15-18, 06:53 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
I have Kaenon and Maui Jim progressives, both of which are great and the Kaenons are marginally superior. I got them for sailing, where I have to cycle continuously between electronics on the boat and tiny distant objects. However, at about 800 a pop they are a bit spendy for cycling where they are nonessential. When I can no longer read my bike computer (or my phone when I get lost) I’ll upgrade my Oakley ballistic glasses to biphocals.
Old 07-16-18, 08:58 PM

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sportrx

Originally Posted by Truckin75

I've been wearing "regular" bi-focal glasses and sunglasses while cycling for years. Been thinking lately of getting prescription "blade-type" cycling glasses
WInd causes my eyes to tear and I can't see. Regular glasses/sunglasses just made it worse- i needed wrap around sunglasses. Also wanted progressive bifocals - Sportrx told me they could do it - took two attempts but they did what they said. Was not cheap but ws worth it to me. I sue biking and skiing.

Len
Old 07-18-18, 09:52 AM
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
Here's what works fantastically well for me: Prescription sunglasses with progressive, polarized, polycarbonate lenses. The frames have no nose pads and rest directly on the nose so there is no gap to allow the wind to get in and make your eyes tear up. To keep them snug on my face I use an adjustable strap. The lenses are large enough to place a tiny stick-on rear-view mirror. I need only turn my head 20 or 30 degrees to the left to get a clear and stable (no vibrations) image of what's behind me.

They weren't all that expensive since I ordered them at the same time I ordered my last pair of everyday glasses... it was some sort of deal where if you order a pair of glasses, you get a pair of prescription sunglasses at a big discount.

Highly recommended!

Old 07-18-18, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I have a pair of bifocal (varifocal) Oakleys

Greetings All -

I've been wearing "regular" bi-focal glasses and sunglasses while cycling for years. Been thinking lately of getting prescription "blade-type" cycling glasses (e.g., Bolle, Oakley, etc). Always wear bi-focals, as obviously need the distance vision, plus need the reading part to be able to read the bike computer.

I've been searching online, have found some sites that carry such things, but finding 2 issues:

1. Haven't found any that offer bi-focals, just single vision
2. The prices I've been seeing are INSANE -- like $700 and up for the frames and lenses (and again, those are just for the single prescription, not bi-focals).

Grateful for any advice/suggestions out there!
I bought a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket 2.0 glasses at https://www.sportrx.com and they are varifocals and transition lenses. The quality is excellent, but prepare to shell it out. They aren't cheap. But when I'm riding and can see the whole field of view clearly I don't really think about the price.
Old 07-20-18, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I got a pair from Wally World....wrap around type frames, progressive polarized bifocal lenses for 249 total. The clarity is much better that the RayBan's that I paid an awful lot more for,

Last edited by jfan; 07-20-18 at 05:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-21-18, 06:02 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
My local safety stores carry bi-focal wrap-around safety glasses. I buy a couple pair in clear and smoke for around ~$13 a pair and keep a pair of each in my ready bag and my car so I always have them for riding.

I used to buy them from https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bif...afety-glasses/ There are 6 pages to look at.

Old 07-21-18, 06:04 AM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My local safety stores carry bi-focal wrap-around safety glasses. I buy a couple pair in clear and smoke for around ~$13 a pair and keep a pair of each in my ready bag and my car so I always have them for riding.

I used to buy them from https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/bif...afety-glasses/ There are 6 pages to look at.
They scratch quicker than fancy glasses but they're cheap.

Old 07-24-18, 06:46 AM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts
The prices I've been seeing are INSANE -- like $700 and up for the frames and lenses ...[snip]...

Grateful for any advice/suggestions out there!

Uh... my advice/suggestion is "suck it up!"

I got custom cycling bifocals from Sports Optical. They're based on a Rudy Project frame, but the lenses had to be custom-ground due to my extreme prescription. They weren't quite $700 ...but they were close.

Best money I ever spent on cycling equipment. Ever. I've since ordered two more pair from them. (Repeat customers get a 20% discount!)

Given that my regular (non-cycling) glasses cost over $600, there was nothing about the price that made me think it was "INSANE" just that it's the cost of having poor eyesight. Ever price state-of-the-art hearing aids?
Old 07-24-18, 01:58 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by etw
For anyone who needs glasses to read up close does not need a great deal of distance correction, these work great. Their customer service and warranty work is great.
Thanks for that link. I use tinted safety glasses with UV protection and 2.0 readers in them. Perfect for what I need but when the current pair wears out I think I'll upgrade.
Old 07-24-18, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
They scratch quicker than fancy glasses but they're cheap.

Been using them for years. No complaints. I have amber and smoke on hand.
Old 07-24-18, 02:11 PM
Super Modest

Originally Posted by sevenmag
Been using them for years. No complaints. I have amber and smoke on hand.
And the scratch resistance and clarity has improved a lot over the years.

Old 07-25-18, 08:41 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Bumping an old thread.... anybody riding Tifosi Veloce Reader Fototec +2.0? I got new contacts with stronger distance correction and made it much harder to read my cyclo-computer. I have a couple 24-hour events coming up next month and need to be able to read directions and computer, in day and night. These seem to be the best option. Lisa and I both have used Tifosi and like their product a lot, so I'm ok with the brand.

https://www.tifosioptics.com/product...r-2-0-fototec/

Any reviews? Other options with both photo-chromatic and bi-focal lenses?
Based on my needs for the PH24 and The DAMn, I went with the Tifosi glasses. They arrived this week and I got them out for a fast ride yesterday, REALLY LIKE THEM. My one negative is that the photo-chromatic lenses don't get very dark in bright light. I would not like these lenses for snow or other very bright environments. I'm looking forward to testing them through the night at PH24 next month.
Old 07-26-18, 09:56 AM
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I found some el-cheapo China ones on Amazon that have a gizmo that snaps on the nose bridge that you can put prescription lenses in..
Here's the link..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF3H88C...prd_ttl_sol_23

Last edited by JLDickmon; 07-27-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 08:31 PM

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jfan
I got a pair from Wally World....wrap around type frames, progressive polarized bifocal lenses for 249 total. The clarity is much better that the RayBan's that I paid an awful lot more for,
I got wrap around type frame safety glasses at Walmart and had their optical shop put progressive transition bifocal lenses in them.
I think it cost me $250 - $300.
Old 08-22-18, 09:53 AM
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Based on my needs for the PH24 and The DAMn, I went with the Tifosi glasses. They arrived this week and I got them out for a fast ride yesterday, REALLY LIKE THEM. My one negative is that the photo-chromatic lenses don't get very dark in bright light. I would not like these lenses for snow or other very bright environments. I'm looking forward to testing them through the night at PH24 next month.
So a little comedy, I bought these Tifosi glasses for The DAMn and didn't use them.

I brought daily-wear contacts and planned to put them in at the start area... since it was going to be a very long day I didn't want to have them in my eyes for the 3 hour drive to the start. So I'm in the men's room putting in my contacts in a hurry because we were late to the start line and I had a lot to do. As I walked back to the car, I realize I'm missing one contact, it must have blinked out right away without me noticing.

So I rode the 21 hours with my prescription glasses with progressive bi-focals and photo-chromatic lenses. They were really good, but I'd love to have to gone with bare eyes for a few hours during of the foggy late-night/early-morning and my peripheral vision isn't great with my glasses.
Old 08-23-18, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I ride with tinted bifocal safety glasses from the local industrial supply. Only $5.00 a pair and fit nicely. They are super light and when they get beat up I get out a new pair. Always 3-4 new pair in my sock drawer with my riding gloves. I can get months of use out of a single pair and I ride 3 or more times a week pretty much year round. Joe
Old 08-24-18, 09:13 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I pulled the trigger and ordered a pair from SportRx. I have been using sunglasses I purchased from Performance many many years ago, with the prescription insert that rests on the nose piece behind the lens. I'm on my second pair. The first got so old and worn the rubber nose piece fell apart. Now the second pair is doing the same. The insert was from before I needed the bifocal, so it is a good time to make the switch. I'm hopeful the new pair will be a little lighter on the nose. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-26-18, 06:44 PM

Location: Pasco, Washington - the brown side of the Pacific NW

Bikes: 2020 SWorks Tarmac SL6 w/ Shimano DA 9100; 2016 Lynskey R240 w/ DA 9100, 2014 SWorks Roubaix w/ DA 9100

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by etw
I agree with that. Their customer care is tops. And the glasses are great quality. I've been using them for the last 4 years. The interchangeable lens packages make them a very versatile product.
Old 08-28-18, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
...............So I rode the 21 hours with my prescription glasses with progressive bi-focals and photo-chromatic lenses. They were really good, but I'd love to have to gone with bare eyes for a few hours during of the foggy late-night/early-morning and my peripheral vision isn't great with my glasses.
I have Progressive tri-focal with more of a wrap-around design and have no peripheral distortion. Glasses were new 3 years ago and lens IS different than past glasses.
Old 09-02-18, 06:37 PM

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I am quite fond of my Maui Jim wraparound prescription progressives for riding. 750 a pair but worth every penny for me at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.