Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Uh Oh, now I've done it....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-22-15, 04:49 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 552 Posts

...joined Strava and managed to synch my new Garmin Edge 200 to it. At first I thought it was just something to put my data on like a training diary. Then I saw that some rides I do had "Segments" with a list of people who have done them. Then it was "...wait, that guy did that? I can do better." So, off I went on my 13.5 mi. TT this morning. Why? Because some rides I had posted had Segments that left me far down the leader board. Now, I know I can do better. So, off I went. On one short sprint I raised my speed to 21.8 from 19.0 mph. On another little climb I knocked two minutes off my time. This all with fierce headwinds and crosswinds. So, now I'm hooked into this cycling social media thing. God help me.
Old 09-22-15, 05:44 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts
It's just one more addiction. The little trophy things are as bad as nicotine. I'm glad I'm not the only silly 50+ guy out there.
Old 09-22-15, 08:33 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guilty as charged. Sadly, I am finding it harder to keep improving my times as I get older. Also, there are a lot of race team guys that use the area around here for training, so any KOM's usually get targeted if you manage to get one. That said, it is fun to see how hard you can push yourself and improve.
Old 09-22-15, 11:02 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3 WSD, Trek Lexa SLX, Trek Silque S

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Yep. Abandon all hope.
Old 09-22-15, 11:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight (for sale), Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6, Focus Mares.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 496 Posts
So far I've resisted, but the idea of using it for training motivation is tempting.
Old 09-23-15, 02:37 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
So far I've resisted, but the idea of using it for training motivation is tempting.
I'm finding that it is motivating me to ride more. Not so much to compete with my friends, although there is that, but to see if I can improve.
Old 09-23-15, 03:38 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 539 Posts
Next thing you know you'll be mainlining the digital EPO in an effort to get to the top of the leader board...
Old 09-23-15, 04:08 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 275 Posts
Bruce, I'm surprised you waited this long. On Sunday's ride with my cycling partner I cranked off a super quick .6mi sprint segment that placed me 10th on the alltime among 680. I showed it to my Strava-reluctant buddy and immediately won him over.

It's fun, it inspires and makes me a better rider.
Old 09-23-15, 04:11 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
Guilty as charged. Sadly, I am finding it harder to keep improving my times as I get older. Also, there are a lot of race team guys that use the area around here for training, so any KOM's usually get targeted if you manage to get one. That said, it is fun to see how hard you can push yourself and improve.
Same here for some of our segments. In that case I just count myself among them and try to see it as a "percentile" situation.
Old 09-23-15, 04:31 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
I'm on it too. I use it to follow some other Masters racers' training rides in other parts of the country, and they follow mine. I don't try to beat anyone locally - I'm the oldest by about 15 years of local users - but when I put a good time up on a local segment, I think there's a "Shoot, that old guy did that, I've got to beat him!" effect.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-23-15, 05:20 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
You mean nobody tried to trick the system yet?
Old 09-23-15, 06:30 AM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
It would be interesting to know how much 'fitter' the average recreational cyclist is now that apps like Strava are here. The segments are pure motivation.

Keith
Old 09-23-15, 07:45 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Started Strava in June and quickly got myself focused on the two segments on my commute. Addicting. Review them all the time to see how I compare speed wise. The flyby information is fun too.
Anyone join any Strava clubs? I'm considering joining one but not sure if it's worth it this late in the season.
Old 09-23-15, 08:10 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
You mean nobody tried to trick the system yet?
I dont know of any tricks but there are a few things to help give an advantage.
Old 09-23-15, 09:44 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
You mean like waiting until there is a 20 mph tailwind on a particular segment?
Old 09-23-15, 10:02 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've managed to resist it. I have this very OCD mind set for training that whatever speed or time I've set in the training, I want to stick to. Not faster or slower.
Old 09-23-15, 10:24 AM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by dieselgoat View Post
You mean like waiting until there is a 20 mph tailwind on a particular segment?
That works. And so does knowing where it starts and hitting it at speed. But most of the time there is nothing that takes away the screaming legs and gasping for air when you really want to beat your old time.
Old 09-23-15, 10:37 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight (for sale), Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6, Focus Mares.

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
I'm finding that it is motivating me to ride more. Not so much to compete with my friends, although there is that, but to see if I can improve.
If I can use my ego to help me improve, that's okay just as long as it doesn't turn into a monster. Primarily I'd want to use this to increase the effort on intervals; Strava segments seem perfect for that purpose. I may use other people as targets, but I'm not going to be on the top of any leaderboards. My main competition is myself, as I chase my potential.

Looking seriously at a Garmin Edge 200, it looks like it almost perfectly meets my needs.
Old 09-23-15, 10:52 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
If I can use my ego to help me improve, that's okay just as long as it doesn't turn into a monster. Primarily I'd want to use this to increase the effort on intervals; Strava segments seem perfect for that purpose. I may use other people as targets, but I'm not going to be on the top of any leaderboards. My main competition is myself, as I chase my potential.

Looking seriously at a Garmin Edge 200, it looks like it almost perfectly meets my needs.
This is pretty much exactly how I have been using it. I'm going out with my gf, a very good rider, and we will just cruise. But, there are two Strava segments that I will use as intervals. So, I get to be a "tourist" and get a little work in.
Old 09-23-15, 10:58 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
Bruce, I'm surprised you waited this long. On Sunday's ride with my cycling partner I cranked off a super quick .6mi sprint segment that placed me 10th on the alltime among 680. I showed it to my Strava-reluctant buddy and immediately won him over.

It's fun, it inspires and makes me a better rider.
I try very hard not to stray from my Luddite roots.
Old 09-23-15, 11:04 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, I'm pretty much addicted to Strava too. Download my rides to Strava every day. Don't do that well against other riders but it's amazing all the followers I have!

Segments are fun too and yes, the whole Strava community serves as a motivator for me. I'd recommend it; can't see any dangerous downsides (well, except for trying to beat others on twisty downhill segments).

My kids got me the Premium Strava level for Father's Day, so that was cool of them. Now I can see how high I can push my Suffer Score and see how I do compared to others my (old) age. All good fun!

Rick / OCRR
Old 09-23-15, 11:42 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
man, I wish I had not read this thread. I have been avoiding doing strava.... but now you got me thinking about it.
I will have to get my grandson to come over and show me how to access it and how it works....my wife is going to hate you.
Old 09-23-15, 11:45 AM
Outnumbered

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am on Strava also. I still use Map my ride at the same time because I like seeing my total mileage to date. back to Strava, its a motivator and fun I also know some of the KOM's and they are much younger and I will never beat them. It got back to me that one of them said "hey that the old guy is getting closer we better try to pick it up". Just the fact I get closer makes it rewarding.

Have you ever thought of the people that would/will ride the course in a car at 25.5 MPH just to get a KOM? I am sure it happens sometimes on some roads.
Old 09-23-15, 11:48 AM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is a great way for me to compare myself to myself. I'm always KOM in my age group since there is no one else IN my age group! Strava is doing a great job adding features all the time. If you ride a segment and look at the "full leaderboard" you will also find "My Results" which will show every ride you've done on that segment.

Now the downside: the biggest thing is that Strava does not tell you where the wind was coming from or how hard it was blowing. I've seen some amazing times on some segments but when I check the historical weather for that date find that the rider had a 20 mph tailwind! Personally, I always note a "wind aided" ride for my own reference since I don't want to feel too bad when I fail to match a previous PR. There are a few other quirks you might discover, but overall I find it the best tool ever for recording my rides AND hikes. I use my iPhone when I hike so I can track that too.
Old 09-23-15, 11:48 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19 View Post
Yeah, for me it's definitely about those messages saying I've gotten a PR on certain segment. I doubt I'll ever be fast enough to get to the top of any leaderboard (save the KOM I got because I figured out that I could pick up a lot of speed going down a hill on a little trafficked road that you can then take a left turn into the start of a segment if it's safe), but when it tells me I'm getting faster, I like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.