Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you have a group that you ride with?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you have a group that you ride with?

Old 10-01-15, 12:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
I was well under 50 when there were. I couldn't afford to live there, so moved.
Old 10-01-15, 03:21 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 47 Posts
Here in Colorado, I ride/commute with friends on occasion, with my wife some, and do a fair number of organized rides. I wouldn't call any of it group riding as such.

When I'm in Wisconsin, I occasionally tag on with a group started by a buddy of mine almost 30 years ago. Their typical "fast 20" starts at 5:30 am, pacelines to the first climb, and then on some silent signal sprints and splinters, regroups at the top, splinters again on the second, much harder climb, regroups a second time to paceline across the ridge and then bombs down into town at 45 mph or so. They finish at the coffee shop well before 6:30.

It seems like all of the under 40s that have come into the group are actively racing at a Cat 2 level or better. They are nice enough to let the older folks hang on the back when needed. Because the pecking order is well set the testosterone level appears to be under control. Riding in the dark at more than 25 mph, a few inches off the wheel in front of you, takes a lot of trust and teamwork that they have built through the years. It is fun to watch.

If I could latch onto that type of group here, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-01-15, 11:04 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on what type of riding that I am doing. When I am riding the road or now gravel, I ride solo for the most part. My work schedule makes it hard to ride with most group efforts. I'm all right with that, I like the alone time. Now, on the other hand, I usually ride with a regular group for mountain biking. If nothing else,it offers a safety factor if something is to happen out in the woods. I will ride alone on the mountain bike, but I try to stick to the more public trails in those cases.