Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going "full circle" at 66 or who invented the flat bar road bike?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going "full circle" at 66 or who invented the flat bar road bike?

Old 10-14-15, 05:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX View Post
I love the flat bar concept, but this is the one issue I wonder about. If there's more weight on your bottom, does that also mean there's more potential of prostate issues? Or would proper fit and decent bike shorts and seat make this a non-issue for either riding style?
Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
The concern is completely unfounded, insofar as riding with some variation on 'flat bars' no more necessarily puts one in a bolt-upright riding position than does riding with drop bars.

My bike fits correctly, without anything out of the ordinary (100 mm stem; standard flat bars w/bar ends). Riding position is such that 'on the grips' I have slightly more forward lean than I would on the tops of the bars on a Roubaix (to which I've also been correctly fitted), and for all practical purposes exactly the same position on the bar ends as on the hoods of a Roubaix. My weight is evenly distributed between butt, feet, and hands/arms -- precisely as it would be on a Roubaix w/drops were I to prefer drop bars to flat.
Yep. A good fit including saddle should be comfortable and distribute weight across your sit bones. Also stand occassionally and move around to avoid undue pressure.

You don't want too much weight/pressure on your arms and hands. Ideally you should use your hands for balance and steering and thats it. If your hands and wrists get tired, check your saddle position. Most likely the nose needs raised do that you aren't supporting yourself with arms.
Old 10-15-15, 05:53 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 11033 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
I spend most of my time on a hardtail mtn bike on trails and fire roads. My road bike was reserved mostly for vacation time on Cape Cod riding around towns like Falmouth and Woods Hole. A couple of years ago I converted it over to a flat bar road bike that feels a great deal like my normal mtn bike ride. IMO best move I ever made.

In line with some of the posts about Europe here I found it easier to buy the Shimano flat bar brifters from a European dealer than from one in the US. It's a Sora 8 speed system with a 34/50 crank, 11/32 cassette, spd pedals and yes, a WTB saddle just like the mtb.
Old 10-15-15, 07:56 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since I never used the drop position on my drop bars I had as a kid (on a school commute bike, we all got em when we went to the secondary school at age 11 or 12. I wanted to look a bit flash so I got dropped bars) and consequently never wore my brakes out, I opted for bull bars which were great for climbing and stopping in emergencies due to the position of the brake levers.

Stopping in emergencies was a new phenonomen which has greater advantages the older one gets. Bar ends on flat bars with dropped bar brakes/gears work a treat and have saved me on numerous occasions.

But getting down to it (as they say) doesnt require dropped bars. Imo.