Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sram Road 11 speed with 11-36 cassette?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sram Road 11 speed with 11-36 cassette?

Old 05-22-16, 08:23 AM
FirstSarnt

Bikes: Specialized Source Expert Disc commuter/hybrid/tourer, Jamis Dakar XCR Comp mountain bike, Burley Duet Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Specialized Source Expert has a 2 x 10 setup, 48/34 in front and 11-32 in back. I'm starting to tour with it, so that adds 20-30 pounds of stuff to the bike and my 215 pound bulk. My road and mountain bikes are 3 x 9 setups, but the Specialized seems much better on hills despite its higher lowest gear.

Which brings up my issue: I don't want to get caught short when confronted with a steep hill on a longer tour because I don't have granny gears, so I'm considering going to a 12-36 cassette, or even a 12-40, rather than rebuild what is really a good bike and going to a 3 x 9 and the extremely high cost of replacing the entire drive train, bottom end, and shifters. I'm trying to decide if getting the larger cog will make that much of a difference (I really am getting better on hills) and if my SRAM Apex can handle the bigger gear.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-22-16, 11:18 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstSarnt View Post
My Specialized Source Expert has a 2 x 10 setup, 48/34 in front and 11-32 in back. I'm starting to tour with it, so that adds 20-30 pounds of stuff to the bike and my 215 pound bulk. My road and mountain bikes are 3 x 9 setups, but the Specialized seems much better on hills despite its higher lowest gear.

Which brings up my issue: I don't want to get caught short when confronted with a steep hill on a longer tour because I don't have granny gears, so I'm considering going to a 12-36 cassette, or even a 12-40, rather than rebuild what is really a good bike and going to a 3 x 9 and the extremely high cost of replacing the entire drive train, bottom end, and shifters. I'm trying to decide if getting the larger cog will make that much of a difference (I really am getting better on hills) and if my SRAM Apex can handle the bigger gear.

Decisions, decisions...
I'm kind of in the same boat, but with new bikes that I am building for my wife and I.

I was thinking of a 30/46 crankset for my wife, with a 11-36, which gives her a low 22 gear inches, and a 34/50 for me with a 11-36 which gives me about 25 gear inches.

A 32 to a 36 at the back makes a big difference. If you want a guaranteed working solution for that use a X7/X9. Inexpensive fix.

Have you considered a 30/46 crankset?
Old 05-24-16, 10:20 AM
FirstSarnt

Bikes: Specialized Source Expert Disc commuter/hybrid/tourer, Jamis Dakar XCR Comp mountain bike, Burley Duet Tandem

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat, but with new bikes that I am building for my wife and I.

I was thinking of a 30/46 crankset for my wife, with a 11-36, which gives her a low 22 gear inches, and a 34/50 for me with a 11-36 which gives me about 25 gear inches.

A 32 to a 36 at the back makes a big difference. If you want a guaranteed working solution for that use a X7/X9. Inexpensive fix.

Have you considered a 30/46 crankset?
I think going tot he 36 in back is the best, most cost effective solution. Right now my lowest combo gives me about 28.5 gear inches, and going to the 36 would drop that to about 25. I like the 48/34 front.
Old 05-24-16, 10:33 AM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 53 Posts
A little late, but I recently purchased a Cannondale SuperX Rival 1 CX which came with a 40T chainring and a 11-28 11 speed cassette. I wanted lower gearing so i installed a 11-32 11 speed which required going to a mid cage RD. That RD can fit a 11-36 if I opt for it.

The RD is a CX, not a road part.

Old 05-24-16, 11:02 AM
deepakvrao

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2 View Post
A little late, but I recently purchased a Cannondale SuperX Rival 1 CX which came with a 40T chainring and a 11-28 11 speed cassette. I wanted lower gearing so i installed a 11-32 11 speed which required going to a mid cage RD. That RD can fit a 11-36 if I opt for it.

Which RD is that? Can it handle a double crankset, or is it for only a single at the front?
Old 05-24-16, 11:05 AM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Which RD is that? Can it handle a double crankset, or is it for only a single at the front?
It's a Sram Rival 1 Type 2.1 11 speed mid cage.

Not sure if you can use double chainrings, but i don't see why not.

Old 05-24-16, 11:13 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 181 Posts
30 years ago I rode the Marin Headlands and the Mt Tam hill climb up from Stinson beach on a 52-36 with a 13-28 freewheel ..

stood on the pedals and went for it. of course I was Lighter then and it was 30 years ago.
Old 05-24-16, 07:21 PM
deepakvrao

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I don't 'think' that will work with a double at the front. It probably has something to do with the chain wrap capacity.

Like I said earlier, a X7/X9 or a Via GT RD should work.
Old 07-31-16, 08:46 PM
originalwhiney

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, I was scouring the Internet for this thread. Hope you don't mind my reviving this thread.
I think you all confirmed what a bike rep stated to me.
Like hughwill, I want lower gears for more climbing as well as bikepacking.
My bike will be a Rival 22 build: 46/36 chainrings and 11-32t cassette.
The bike rep states that all I need to do is to switch to a Rival 1 rear derailleur and different cassette, and everything else can stay the same.
What is interesting is the SRAM compatibility chart says the Rival 1 RD is not compatible with the Rival 22 crankset. So I emailed the bike rep to confirm his original statement, which stands.
Unfortunately, my LBS won't switch out parts, so I will separately purchase the Rival 1 long cage derailleur and the 10-42t cassette (XG-1150) and have the bike shop switch out the parts.
So fingers crossed that this is the case. I'm about to purchase the parts on the Internet.
Old 07-31-16, 09:01 PM
deepakvrao

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by originalwhiney View Post
Hi all, I was scouring the Internet for this thread. Hope you don't mind my reviving this thread.
The bike rep states that all I need to do is to switch to a Rival 1 rear derailleur and different cassette, and everything else can stay the same.
What is interesting is the SRAM compatibility chart says the Rival 1 RD is not compatible with the Rival 22 crankset. So I emailed the bike rep to confirm his original statement, which stands.
Unfortunately, my LBS won't switch out parts, so I will separately purchase the Rival 1 long cage derailleur and the 10-42t cassette (XG-1150) and have the bike shop switch out the parts.
So fingers crossed that this is the case. I'm about to purchase the parts on the Internet.
You can put a 11-40 at the back with a mid cage RD if you use a Roadlinks.

RoadLink ? wolftoothcomponents.com
Old 07-31-16, 10:54 PM
originalwhiney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can put a 11-40 at the back with a mid cage RD if you use a Roadlinks.

RoadLink ? wolftoothcomponents.com
With Roadlink, I could go 11-36t, but not 10-42t, but the Rival 22 cage can't handle the cassette anyway.
I'm reading it doesn't expand derailleur capacity, but accommodates chain slack (I don't really understand this).

I believe I would have to get a Rival 1 derailleur anyway.
Rival 22 mid cage handles 11-32t max. (derailleur capacity = 31t)
Rival 1 mid cage handles 11-36t max. (derailleur capacity = 35t)
Rival 1 long cage handles 10-42t. (derailleur capacity = 42t)
Old 07-31-16, 11:57 PM
deepakvrao

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
With Roadlink, I could go 11-36t, but not 10-42t, but the Rival 22 cage can't handle the cassette anyway.
I'm reading it doesn't expand derailleur capacity, but accommodates chain slack (I don't really understand this).

I believe I would have to get a Rival 1 derailleur anyway.
Rival 22 mid cage handles 11-32t max. (derailleur capacity = 31t)
Rival 1 mid cage handles 11-36t max. (derailleur capacity = 35t)
Rival 1 long cage handles 10-42t. (derailleur capacity = 42t)
Plenty of guys are using the Roadlink with 11-40 [not 42], and 105/Ultegra RDs, WITH a double in the front. I've ordered this for my cross bike, but will be getting to the bike only end August.

If you go with SRAM, just get a MTB RD with a MTB cassette. Road shifters work fine. Have done this on one of my wife's bikes.
Old 08-02-16, 05:55 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very relevant post for me as I look forward to starting my 70's with a new ('final'?) bike.

... Have you considered a 30/46 crankset?
+1 - this is certainly the route I am beginning to explore for my next bike.

Somebody advised me that Di2 accommodates the smaller front chainrings better than the mechanical 11-speed Ultegra (sounds like a further 'justification' for Di2)
This will enable me initially to have a 'relatively' close-ratio cassette (11-28) - I find that maintaining my cadence is important, and that requires less effort if the gaps between the gears are lower.
30/28 will give about the same 'low' gear to a standard Ultegra Compact34/32 set-up.

Looking ahead:
~ I can easily see a standard 32 rear cassette (providing a 25" low gear) as the first 'up/down-grade' - which I will use as long as possible (the hills in my area are relatively benign - they can get upto 10%, but only for quite short distances usually);
~ even larger rear cassettes then held in reserve.

Last edited by FamilyMan007; 08-02-16 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-02-16, 06:23 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
I find it amusing that triples were considered for wimps only; but now it's OK to have a 34/36 low gear, which is lower than most triples had. Not that I've ever subscribed to that line of thought - I still have triples on most of my recumbents. Using a double would simplify setup on one of them, so I'm thinking about it -- just not willing to spend the money yet.
Old 08-02-16, 06:54 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave View Post
+1
Lots of "Boomer" riders,
& we still want to ride, more "boomer friendly" bikes are showing up.

I go to bike shops looking for gearing help & they say, keep riding you'll build up your strength.
These guys don't have a clue, I ain't 25 & in my prime,
We might "Maintain " our strength if we keep riding & exercising , but we are beyond the muscle building stage.
^^^ This.
I've learned from this thread the stuff those guys won't tell me.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-16, 08:48 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning on changing my 11-28 to an 11-32 even though where I live is flat. I travel to visit my son and some friends and do an organized ride while I'm there sometimes. It's much hillier there, and not having any real hills to ride on, I'd like to have just a bit more gearing. The bike shops here think I'm nuts.

This has been an interesting thread to read through, but I don't think I need to go as far as a 36 for a few rides while traveling.
Old 08-03-16, 04:56 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a total hill slug with two total knee replacements.

My road bike is a '92 Paramount on which I run a 9 speed Ultegra 6500 setup for shifters and front D/R, and an R700 (Ultegra grade non-groupo) 50-34 compact front, and an 11-32 in back with an XT rear DR. It would handle a 34 or 36t in back if needed.

It shifts flawlessly and I like it.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 08-03-16 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-03-16, 08:25 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 181 Posts
One of the choices made by people using a 50-34 double, on a bike they are putting panniers on and crossing the USA..

Originally Posted by hughwill View Post
I've just purchased a nice new Boardman Cyclocross carbon frame ( here ) and I'm looking to make it up with a SRAM Hydraulic disc group. At the moment I'm riding a Boardman alloy CX with a 10X2 speed Rival set with a 50-34 on the front and a 11-36 on the back.

(By the way, I noticed an earlier thread where this combo was questioned- all I can say is that it works flawlessly for me even to the point that I could (though wouldn't) ride silently on both small rings or both large rings. Before I upgraded it also worked with SRAM 10 speed Apex mechs.)

I'm near 66 and I must be one of the worst climbers even taking into account my age, and the thought of having less that my current 34-36 bottom gear combo fills me with some dread (for those who think no one needs such low gears all I can say is - lucky you!).

So the question is- has anyone tried the same trick with SRAM 2X11 speed sets? If the only difference is the spacing between the cogs, surely the 11 speed mid cage rds could cope with the same cog sizes as the 10 speed? But has anyone tried it? The only cassette which might fit the bill is the PG1170 ( here ) which SRAM say is only compatible with their Force 1X11 system and RD. But is this going to be different from and completely incompatible with all their other PG1170 cassettes made for road bikes?

I know I could have the 1X11 with a 10-42 cassette option but these sets have smaller single chainwheels. While I'm slow up hills I don't want to be spinning out on enjoyable descents.

Any ideas?
Old 08-03-16, 03:14 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thinking of making this jump to a SRAM 11-36 10 speed with 34-46 crank and wanted to make sure what I order is correct and will fit.

So if I go with either the Apex or Rival "medium" cage and it will work with the 36T cassette even though the SRAM spec sheet says 32T max?

Other option is to go with the mountain bike "long" cage RD to fit the 11-36 RD. Will this work too?

Any pros / cons with either choice?
Old 08-03-16, 04:12 PM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Originally Posted by RockiesDad View Post
Thinking of making this jump to a SRAM 11-36 10 speed with 34-46 crank and wanted to make sure what I order is correct and will fit.

So if I go with either the Apex or Rival "medium" cage and it will work with the 36T cassette even though the SRAM spec sheet says 32T max?

Other option is to go with the mountain bike "long" cage RD to fit the 11-36 RD. Will this work too?

Any pros / cons with either choice?
Rival 1 Medium cage: 11-26 through 11-36 cassettes(269g)

https://www.sram.com/sram/road/produ...ear-derailleur
Old 08-03-16, 05:01 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Humm... This has me a bit worried or am I worrying too much???
Old 08-03-16, 05:09 PM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Originally Posted by RockiesDad View Post
Humm... This has me a bit worried or am I worrying too much???
The "CX" rd works with a 36 but the road will not.

Sram has the info on their website.
Old 08-07-16, 07:41 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Trek 1120, Santa Cruz Tallboy 3CC, Fandango DC-9 MTB tandem, Jamis Renegade Expert, Bike Friday Pocket Llama, Santana Arriva tandem, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried the Rival 1 RD with the SRAM 10/42. It will not work properly with more than one front chain ring. Changed to SRAM GX RD, mtn bike shifters, works fine with multiple chain ring.
Old 08-07-16, 10:26 PM
originalwhiney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
I tried the Rival 1 RD with the SRAM 10/42. It will not work properly with more than one front chain ring. Changed to SRAM GX RD, mtn bike shifters, works fine with multiple chain ring.
Thanks. Dam, I might be in trouble. I'm starting to hate SRAM!

I am in the road 11-speed system, so if I follow their specs, I need either a:
Rival 1 crankset,
Force 1 crankset, or
S350 1 crankset.

To make the 10-42t cassette worthwhile, I need a 38T or 40T crankset, which cannot be found on the Internet!
I'll call around some shops tomorrow.
Old 08-07-16, 11:19 PM
originalwhiney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
Do you know the technical reason why it won't work with more than one front chain ring? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.