Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The dark side of having a passion for cycling

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-07-15, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts

This morning we received a Christmas dinner invitation by email. I assume that it was sent to the entire extended family. You know how they say that sometimes there's a message behind the message? I'm wondering if this isn't one of them. The email partially copied below was written by the wife of my nephew Kyle. I'm Paul.

We're really excited to be hosting everyone this year in our new home! With any luck, we'll have most of the renovations complete by the time you arrive...and if not, blame Kyle for spending too much time (and money!) on his bike this summer. Or actually, blame Paul for getting him obsessed with biking in the first place Kidding! (kinda)

I will graciously respond to her email in acceptance of their invitiation to join them for Christmas dinner. If I lived close enough I'd offer to come and help Kyle finish any of their renovations, but lucky for me we don't live that close. In the mean time I'll keep looking for the perfect second bike for him since I've already convinced him of the benefit of having a "winter" bike.
Old 11-08-15, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A polite and playful note is in order saying that you'll also take some of the blame for Kyle's good health and fitness.
Old 11-08-15, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you two will be riding on Christmas day, and returning just in time for dinner. Then open all your bike related gifts. Maybe a nap. Then eat some more.She don't know the half of it.Kyle is a lucky fellow to have a uncle and mentor like you. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-08-15, 06:20 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 64 Posts
Tell Kyle that the renovation takes priority to bike riding for now. Kyle has a lot of years to ride. A couple of months won't hurt him.
Old 11-08-15, 06:45 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Take your bike with you and then you can ride with Kyle either before or after the meal -- or maybe before and after.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-08-15, 06:46 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Tell Kyle that the renovation takes priority to bike riding for now. Kyle has a lot of years to ride. A couple of months won't hurt him.
I can tell that you're from sunny California so every day's the same. It isn't Kyle's fault they're having a drought so he hasn't had enough rainy days to finish the renovations. Besides, doesn't Kyle have lots of years to finish those projects? A couple of more months won't hurt.
Old 11-08-15, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I can tell that you're from sunny California so every day's the same. It isn't Kyle's fault they're having a drought so he hasn't had enough rainy days to finish the renovations. Besides, doesn't Kyle have lots of years to finish those projects? A couple of more months won't hurt.
Old 11-08-15, 08:36 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 311 Posts
Kyle is being brought up right. His wife's dismay is a good sign of this.
Old 11-08-15, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Depends on the stage of renovation and who is doing it. If he has sub contractors doing some of it and the rest by himself, its going to be a long dragged out thing. Subs like to get things done in quick order so they can go onto the next job. When things are interrupted, it means the entire renovation takes on a rather unpleasant living condition for the family. His Uncle would know how its going.

Bike riding and house renovation are very different and distinct things. I don't see them as being comparable.
Old 11-08-15, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Kyle is being brought up right. His wife's dismay is a good sign of this.
However, a wife's dismay if not addressed...will not lead to anything good. I'd suggest given the makeup of this section, most of us here have figured that out.
Old 11-08-15, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 813 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertL
A polite and playful note is in order saying that you'll also take some of the blame for Kyle's good health and fitness.
Touche!
Old 11-08-15, 11:30 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by smoore
However, a wife's dismay if not addressed...will not lead to anything good. I'd suggest given the makeup of this section, most of us here have figured that out.
She must be in a desperate situation assuming she has tried to reconcile this issue before expanding the audience via email.
Old 11-08-15, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
She must be in a desperate situation assuming she has tried to reconcile this issue before expanding the audience via email.
Old 11-08-15, 04:34 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 240 Posts
As said, he is fortunate to have you as an uncle, getting anyone into cycling is a plus, in my book. I doubt that its more than a friendly jab, just roll with it, and I agree with suggesting a ride for the two of you later in the day. All they can say is No, its good intents on your part.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 11-09-15 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell worth a damn....
Old 11-08-15, 05:13 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
The comments are hilarious. I'm undecided whether I should share the "groups consensus" with Kyles wife.

Unfortunately Kyle lives in the Pacific NW so it rains a lot during the winter - so yes, he'll have lots of days to finish the renovations (later). Have to ride when you can.

Originally Posted by RonH
Take your bike with you and then you can ride with Kyle either before or after the meal -- or maybe before and after.
Ron, funny you should say this. Last summer my wife's parents moved out of their house into a condo. They live in another city near Kyle and his wife. I had no interest in the pandemonium that was to ensue during their move so I left my wife to help them and took my bike and went for a ride with Kyle. I know, I'm going to get lots of negative comments on that, abandoning the in-laws. The fact is that the situation was likely better off without me making comments on how things could be better organized, etc. Best I went for a (long) ride.

We'll see what the weather is forecast to be for the dinner weekend - we can ride from his door, lots of great roads. Maybe a short one?
Old 11-08-15, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Subs like to get things done in quick order so they can go onto the next job.
lol. Subs like to collect half the money, do half the job, then move on to the next because they can't schedule for **** and the second half is where all the work is. I've waited months for subs to finish; I'm more than pleased to pass my experience to others.
Old 11-09-15, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by skye
lol. Subs like to collect half the money, do half the job, then move on to the next because they can't schedule for **** and the second half is where all the work is. I've waited months for subs to finish; I'm more than pleased to pass my experience to others.
A lot like students doing a term paper. Give a student an entire semester and most of it will be done at the very end of the time. Not all students are like this. Depends on how many Advanced Placement classes they take and other extracurricular activities are on the plate. Sub contractors on the other hand probably have a different set of priorities.
Old 11-09-15, 07:53 AM

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 620 Posts
You can never get back a good day that would have been a good riding day.
Old 11-09-15, 08:29 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3845 Post(s)
Liked 4,695 Times in 2,166 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
. Unfortunately Kyle lives in the Pacific NW so it rains a lot during the winter - so yes, he'll have lots of days to finish the renovations (later). Have to ride when you can.
If Kyle lives in the western parts of the PNW he needs to be introduced to fenders. Those of us near sea level ride year round. There is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing.
Old 11-09-15, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked 2,106 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
This morning we received a Christmas dinner invitation by email. I assume that it was sent to the entire extended family. You know how they say that sometimes there's a message behind the message?
So basically she is telling everyone who shows up to to give you a ration if the renovations are not done because your nephew wants more play days.

It does sound like she has a legitimate complaint. Tell Kyle to man-up and get the work done and then he can ride.

John
Old 11-09-15, 07:47 PM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Good on you for getting Kyle into cycling. One day his wife may understand, or maybe not. In the meantime it seems he's enjoying it.
Old 11-09-15, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I would think Kyle could get the reno's done and still ride. Just prioritize his time wisely. Been retired for just over a year and have gotten in the habit of going to ride for 1-3 hours in the AM, just after breakfast. That gives me all afternoon to do the necessary "chores" around the house to keep wife happy. If needed, I will skip a day of riding to get the extra work done. It is possible.
Old 11-09-15, 09:01 PM

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 620 Posts
Wives need to look on the bright side. Having a husband that cycles instead of cheating is a good thing!!!!
Old 11-10-15, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honestly, some women will find anything to complain about. Odds are, if it weren't his cycling, it would be his gaming, or his hunting, or his whatever. The real problem is that she doesn't like his activities outside of her purview.
Old 11-10-15, 11:06 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
It is not an obsession, it is something that we were born with. A hidden time bomb waiting to explode. W can't be held responsible for this malady! or The devil made me do it!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.