Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shadow riders - What to do when a stranger drafts you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-12-15, 08:35 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nothing ruins a nice ride like having to deal with another cyclist...
Old 11-12-15, 09:44 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 811 Posts
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
Who would this apply to?: Drafter or draftee?

Say this, "Hi, Would you like to ride together?"
That's awfully complicated. What usually happens is the person in back saying "I'm behind you." Then after a couple minutes they usually say "want me to take a pull?"
Old 11-13-15, 02:01 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1203 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 646 Posts
Interesting view points! I typically don't say anything when I get on someones wheel. But then, I don't overlap and I do watch the road ahead of them to watch for anything they may have to react to. Rarely do I find someone to draft. It only lasts less than a min as I am waiting to pass.

I really don't care if someone hangs on my wheel. It is my ride and I will ride as I choose. I do have a tendency to push if someone is there and I don't like doing that! Just can't resist. Others are a carrot but by the time I get to them I have decided that I will like overtake them anyway. I don't struggle hard to catch up to draft. I only do it if it is a convenience for a short period of time. Like I said, I rarely find someone in the same shape and running the same speed I am. That is because they stay in front of me the whole time!
Old 11-13-15, 03:19 PM
Viking55803

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was riding on a bike path that's frequented by rollerbladers earlier this year. I was riding with my wife so my speed was down and a guy skated up to me and asked if he could draft. My wife bailed because drafting makes her nervous, but I started pulling the guy. I up my speed gradually to about 18 mph, maybe a bit more and the guy just hung in there for the 3 miles it took to reach the end of the trail. The guy was super-fit and likely a racer, but I had no idea those guys could go that fast. At the end he thanked me and headed back down the trail to try to find another "ride."

By the way, in my experience a wheel touch from a drafter will definitely put him (or her) on the pavement, not you. I haven't had that happen since my racing days 45 years ago, but hearing anyone hit the deck at high speed is a truly ugly sound!
Old 11-14-15, 06:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 614 Posts
Anyone drafting me is on their own. I like knowing who and what is around me but other than that I don't feel responsible for their ride. I will just ride my ride but someone drafting doesn't bother me. I usually end up riding with and talking to them.
Old 11-14-15, 11:52 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
This morning was very windy and lots of people were struggling with the wind. On my last lap, I passed this young lady that was fighting the wind and I let her get behind me. When the wind was gusting, it slowed me down a bit but she was somewhat rested so she passed me and I got behind her. We did this several times before my turn off to the parking lot. How can you say no to a young lady in spandex?

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-15-15, 12:12 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2 View Post
Just look back and say, "Don't worry little feller, there was a time that I wasn't strong enough to pull either..."

He would likely give him an aneurysm trying to get past you at that point
Old 11-15-15, 01:40 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was in a race once when a youngster started to draft me without comment. I only noticed her because of her shadow. I introduced myself and told her politely that she should always announce herself and ask folks about drafting for everyone's safety. She said nothing much. After a few minutes I pulled out and announced it was her turn. She dropped the pace considerably. I passed her and she took my wheel. This happened twice and then we passed another rider who asked permission to join us and she took the pull right off the bat. When the younger gal was forced to the front she dropped the pace quite a bit again. We hit a hill and I dropped both of them, disgusted with the gamesmanship. I was doing a 25mi leg as part of an 8 person team. I later learned the young gal was at the end of her 160mi solo. I had no clue. I've always felt a bit bad about being so judgmental...

I don't normally let folks I don't know draft me. There's no reward for me and not knowing them means I have no idea if they are safe or might touch my wheel. When I'm pulling I keep very steady pace and being responsible for that takes a lot of extra concentration. I'll simply slow up and tell the drafter I'm not comfortable with them drafting. I've never had anyone complain about that but local roads aren't busy and it's only happened a few times.
Old 11-17-15, 03:55 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Somebody did this to me once. He followed me, intending to blow me off on the hill approaching. When the moment came, I upped on the pedals and darned near pulled a gut holdingon
Old 11-17-15, 03:57 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
amid his swearing. . !! .I turned off at the next opportunity. I was bushed. . .
Old 11-17-15, 04:29 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
I was in a race once when a youngster started to draft me without comment. I only noticed her because of her shadow. I introduced myself and told her politely that she should always announce herself and ask folks about drafting for everyone's safety. She said nothing much. After a few minutes I pulled out and announced it was her turn. She dropped the pace considerably. I passed her and she took my wheel. This happened twice and then we passed another rider who asked permission to join us and she took the pull right off the bat. When the younger gal was forced to the front she dropped the pace quite a bit again. We hit a hill and I dropped both of them, disgusted with the gamesmanship. I was doing a 25mi leg as part of an 8 person team. I later learned the young gal was at the end of her 160mi solo. I had no clue. I've always felt a bit bad about being so judgmental...

I don't normally let folks I don't know draft me. There's no reward for me and not knowing them means I have no idea if they are safe or might touch my wheel. When I'm pulling I keep very steady pace and being responsible for that takes a lot of extra concentration. I'll simply slow up and tell the drafter I'm not comfortable with them drafting. I've never had anyone complain about that but local roads aren't busy and it's only happened a few times.
Had that happen on the Triple Crown Stage Race. We were doing the Central Coast Double into a wicked headwind. And that headwind was going to go on for a good long way. That is one the few situations when I'll paceline ... usually I avoid it for safety reasons.

Anyway, there were perhaps 4 or 5 of us. And we all took turns. Except this one guy. Every time there was a reshuffling, he would somehow manage to arrange himself to be at the back of the pack. For at least 20 miles he never took a turn, no matter how short. I understand that people are of different capability, and might only be able to keep up a slower pace or for a shorter period of time, but this guy avoided any pulling whatsoever.

Finally, we all made it all but impossible for him to avoid his turn at the front, and it was finally his turn at the front. And what did he do? He grabbed his brake ... I assume to slide behind us ... and nearly caused a collision.

Behind me, I hear a guy:

"That's it ... I've had enough."

He rides up to the wheel sucker and tells him to either take his turn or skip out of the paceline. He never really did, though. We had made it through the worst of the wind and getting to a hillier section where pacelining wasn't really advantageous.

And yea, I think that's rude. We ain't your domestiques, dude.

Old 11-17-15, 04:37 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud View Post
I was in a race once when a youngster started to draft me without comment. I only noticed her because of her shadow. I introduced myself and told her politely that she should always announce herself and ask folks about drafting for everyone's safety.
Since when is anyone obligated to introduce themselves and ask permission in a race? The time for introductions is before the start and after the finish.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-17-15, 05:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked 2,843 Times in 1,310 Posts
Are these races? Or centuries/grand fondos/charity rides?
Old 11-17-15, 07:43 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
I'm gonna stick my neck way out here and say, the latter.
Old 11-17-15, 08:05 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've never heard of a female "youngster" racing with an old fart.
Old 11-17-15, 09:18 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 948 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 811 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso View Post
It doesn't sound like a race. It sounds more like a charity 160 mile relay where teams try for a good overall time.
Old 11-18-15, 06:32 AM
miya310

Bikes: 2016 Kona Jake, !985 Miyata ridge runner

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've only been road biking for about a year so I don't know all the "rules". I find when someone passes me I sometimes try to keep up just to challenge myself. How close is too close. Is say 20' ok? And btw I usually don't last very long behind where they lose me.
Old 11-18-15, 06:40 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked 537 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by miya310 View Post
I've only been road biking for about a year so I don't know all the "rules". I find when someone passes me I sometimes try to keep up just to challenge myself. How close is too close. Is say 20' ok? And btw I usually don't last very long behind where they lose me.
It's one thing to hang 10-20 feet back and use the person to set your pace, but it's a whole different situation to latch on 6 inches from their wheel. Letting a stranger do the hard work for you,without even getting permission = bad form!
Old 11-18-15, 07:10 AM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just do like the 18 wheelers do if someone drafts me. I pull over into the gravel and sling rocks all over their glasses.

Ha, now seriously. I'm very impressed with the ones that say they don't mind a stranger drafting (as long as they look safe). I've drafted and been drafted. I'm OK both ways. It's about not being an azzz to fellow riders. If they are the azzz, I get rid of them, usually be slowing down. I'm not going to wear myself out by racing with them. They might be in better shape than I, and at 57 years old, that's quite the possibility.
Old 11-18-15, 08:49 AM
Cyclist0084 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
I'd consider it an honor. Being that I'm slower than a turtle making its way thru molasses (I average about 11-12 mph), anyone drafting me would either 1) be on the verge of bonking and needs help getting back home / to their car, or 2) even slower than I am (if that's possible).

LOL!!
Old 11-18-15, 08:54 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
He rides up to the wheel sucker and tells him to either take his turn or skip out of the paceline. He never really did, though. We had made it through the worst of the wind and getting to a hillier section where pacelining wasn't really advantageous.

And yea, I think that's rude. We ain't your domestiques, dude.
Sounds like he was a little smarter than the rest of you! There are many ways to shell a freeloader and yelling is only the first step.
Old 11-18-15, 10:48 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
Sounds like he was a little smarter than the rest of you! There are many ways to shell a freeloader and yelling is only the first step.
You're giving us too much credit. He was a LOT smarter than the rest of us. I noticed the wheelsucking, but it wasn't until he grabbed the brake and nearly caused a collision that I was ready to act on it. That was effing stupid by any measure.

Old 11-18-15, 01:38 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
It doesn't sound like a race. It sounds more like a charity 160 mile relay where teams try for a good overall time.
The Kluane bike race is raced seriously by those that actually can do a mountainous 160mi race. There are categories for solo, pairs, teams of 4 or teams of 8. Timing chips are used and it's a pretty tightly run event. Some people take it seriously, some show up with mountain bikes. I road it hard enough to induce a heart attack one year but I didn't let that stop me and finished my leg, so although I'll never win a race against...almost anyone...nobody can ever claim I don't try hard. Here in Alaska it comes off as a "real" race.
Old 11-18-15, 03:47 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
You're giving us too much credit. He was a LOT smarter than the rest of us. I noticed the wheelsucking, but it wasn't until he grabbed the brake and nearly caused a collision that I was ready to act on it. That was effing stupid by any measure.
Next time just soft pedal when he gets on your wheel you'll slowly drop away from the group. He'll either stay on your wheel or sprint around you to bridge up to the group. You have the choice of jumping on his wheel if he goes or sprinting hard yourself to bridge up. If you take turns doing this the wheel sucker will have no choice but to work. Of course, if the wheel sucker is stronger than everyone else this technique won't work as well but you'd have lost the race in the end regardless of what you did.
Old 11-22-15, 08:04 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Had it happen today, again.. I don't mind. I'm a big guy and am usually up on the tops so I make a big hole in the air.

The problem is it's usually some skinny little **** on a TT bike in a full crouch that's drafting on me and when they pass and it's their turn to pull, the draft off of them is worthless.

You always know when they are back there. The CK hub buzz amplified by their carbon wheels that cost more than my entire rig announce their presence.

Last edited by TGT1; 11-23-15 at 06:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.