Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shadow riders - What to do when a stranger drafts you?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Shadow riders - What to do when a stranger drafts you?

Old 11-22-15, 08:48 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: 2017 Roubaix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Simple solution: drop them.
Old 11-22-15, 09:36 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider View Post
I'd consider it an honor. Being that I'm slower than a turtle making its way thru molasses (I average about 11-12 mph), anyone drafting me would either 1) be on the verge of bonking and needs help getting back home / to their car, or 2) even slower than I am (if that's possible).

LOL!!
I am probably a bit faster, but still slow. And, I was thinking similar thoughts as I read a couple of pages of this. I am a MTBer by heart and drop some folks on the trails, but I have yet to worry about this out on the trail.
Old 11-23-15, 01:34 PM
Miele Man

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Unless I know the rider and their skill level I shake off anyone attempting to draft me. I had to replace a Dura Ace rear derailleur one time because a person I didn't know or know was there behind my right side was drafting me and lapped and locked wheels with me. We both went down but my rear derailleur was toast. I also now use a helmet mounted mirror and scan for drafters especially for the ones on the right of my rear wheel.

Cheers
Old 11-23-15, 04:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6463 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man View Post
Unless I know the rider and their skill level I shake off anyone attempting to draft me. I had to replace a Dura Ace rear derailleur one time because a person I didn't know or know was there behind my right side was drafting me and lapped and locked wheels with me. We both went down but my rear derailleur was toast. I also now use a helmet mounted mirror and scan for drafters especially for the ones on the right of my rear wheel.

Cheers
This.

I don't allow anyone closer than a bike length if I don't know their skill level. Have had riders six inches off my back wheel unannounced, while in the drops, on aero bars or wearing ear buds and have had inexperienced riders crash into my back wheel on organized rides more than once.

I also ride fixed gear. Sometimes people get behind and don't realize. Conditions permitting I will explain to them that I'm on a fixed, will be braking on the downhill, that they should only follow me on a descent if they like to crash.

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-23-15 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 05:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
Simple solution: drop them.
This. I would be tempted to see what they are made of.
Old 11-23-15, 05:44 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 11-23-15, 06:26 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
I also now use a helmet mounted mirror and scan for drafters especially for the ones on the right of my rear wheel.
Old 11-23-15, 11:29 PM
Miele Man

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
"You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are."

Is that last line your signature?

Cheers
Old 12-01-15, 03:29 PM
Last ride 76 

Location: Just moved...1 km S. Now above the "Bike Path" ( River Road, Piermont, NY)

Bikes: Old Bikes: '74 Ron Cooper, Crashed and repaired '76, restored 2015!!! need restoration '74 Witcomb track bike (bought in '75) '75 Carlsbad Masi, bought in '76 New bikes: 84-85 Gios torino "Professional" '76 Olmo Competition C Titiano

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1 View Post
Had it happen today, again.. I don't mind. I'm a big guy and am usually up on the tops so I make a big hole in the air.

The problem is it's usually some skinny little **** on a TT bike in a full crouch that's drafting on me and when they pass and it's their turn to pull, the draft off of them is worthless.

You always know when they are back there. The CK hub buzz amplified by their carbon wheels that cost more than my entire rig announce their presence.
Old 12-01-15, 06:44 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Cheers
It is.
Old 12-01-15, 06:50 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Methuselah Thread
Old 12-01-15, 09:24 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

Cheers
I quoted a post from someone that no longer participates. The system used to identify the poster making the statement but that has been dropped.

The poster really said that to someone here
Old 12-01-15, 10:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16 View Post
Methuselah Thread
Methuselah was 50+.
Old 12-16-15, 11:59 AM
miya310

Bikes: 2016 Kona Jake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just had my first shadow rider. Followed me for about 10 miles. Actually felt kinda "cool" that someone would draft behind me. Thought of this thread right away. I figured I'll just keep going my own pace and whatever. Turned out to be a pretty lady that nicely thanked me for the ride. Kind of happy I didn't do anything smartass. :-)
Old 12-16-15, 03:49 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I actually had one today. As I was suffering up a hill into the wind he pulls up next to after shadowing me for a couple of miles me and gives me some jibber jabber about my bike making a clicking noise - which it wasn't. I think he was sizing me up so I backed off a bit and let him pass. I jumped on his wheel and enjoyed the draft for a while. I returned the favor and went around him and told him I'd take a pull. Turned out he got it and we swapped pulls for a while. Turned out to be a lot of fun.
Old 12-16-15, 04:33 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had two people shadow me in my tenure of bike riding (which is all honesty isn't that long, only a few years.) Considering I don't live in a particularly bike friendly place, it's actually kind of impressive.

The first I was commuting and I passed someone going up a small hill that lead to a long flat straight. The wind was at my back this day so I was flying as I got to the long flat straight. I was minding my own business until about halfway through the straight I look at my shadow and see another shadow behind me. Surprised, I looked behind me to see the guy I had just passed a while back on the hill. While initially unsettling, I didn't really care. I did feel "obligated" to keep up the pace though.

The other time I was doing a short ride (wasn't feeling particularly well.) As I turned on one of the last long legs of my ride I ride past another rider. Generally on this road I give people a wide berth and say hi as I'm passing. Now, this road is a false flat downhill. I usually cruise at about 25-30 MPH on it. Toward the end it flattens out but I still try to hold my pace until I get to the stop sign. Anyway, 3/4 of the way through the I look behind me (as I often do) and I was surprised to see the guy I had passed on my tail. I didn't even notice him there. It was getting to the actually "flat" part so I did what I usually do and held my pace. (It takes a good deal of effort.) Apparently it was too much for him though as when I got to the stop sign he wasn't on my tail anymore. He did catch me at the stop sign and said it was a nice day for a ride however.

All in all, I really don't care if people draft me, although it doesn't happen often. My workout is for me, I don't care about "taking turns" in the wind. Now, if I was specifically on a group ride, it'd be a different story.
Old 12-16-15, 05:40 PM
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 53 Posts
Yesterday i was guilty.....

On my MTB riding home from the trails when I hear "on your left" and I was passed by a guy on a road bike. So I took off and and jumped on his wheel. I called out "mind if I tag along" and he said sure. We were on a MUP doing about 16mph and when we finally got to my jump off point (3 miles later), I called out "thanks for the draft", he replied "I didn't know you were still there".

I guess he was surprised that I was able to keep up... so was I. My MTB weighs twice as much as my road bike.
Old 12-16-15, 05:55 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2 View Post
Yesterday i was guilty.....

On my MTB riding home from the trails when I hear "on your left" and I was passed by a guy on a road bike. So I took off and and jumped on his wheel. I called out "mind if I tag along" and he said sure. We were on a MUP doing about 16mph and when we finally got to my jump off point (3 miles later), I called out "thanks for the draft", he replied "I didn't know you were still there".

I guess he was surprised that I was able to keep up... so was I. My MTB weighs twice as much as my road bike.
That's funny.

He must not have heard your nobbies buzzing.
Old 12-16-15, 06:01 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I occasionally ride with a friend that just loves to be out front. So, this one particular day I grab his back wheel for the 4mi ride to a wicked Strava route where he leads me by several places in the standings. We get to the bottom of the big 2mi hill and I holler that I'm stopping to boot up the Strava. He says no probs, I'll see if you can catch me. And catch him I did. Beat him by several minutes and clobbered two of his PR's along the way. Best ride of the summer. Afterward he is needling me about sucking his wheel all the way out there. What a day.
Old 12-17-15, 01:39 AM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's some great responses here. I ride a SS beach cruiser and when I can enjoy drafting off a faster road biker, I like the challenge and it really motivates me with some pretty fast spinning. Most are really cool and don't seem to mind while a handful don't seem to like it. No offense taken. I've had road bikers draft off me, again I like the challenge of running together and keeping up a strong pace, so in general I don't care. I figure I'm riding whether they are there or not so what's the big deal and it must look kind of funny with a roadie drafting off a cruiser. One time I got a big thumbs up rolling along with about 6 guys behind me. Good times.

Since I don't have a freewheel my bike is really quiet and the safety part of not knowing someone is there I hadn't thought much about. I often ask but sometimes do not. That's a really good point and I'll ensure I always do from now on . Thanks!
Old 01-02-16, 09:15 AM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here is a training center for noobs.....

Old 01-02-16, 09:41 AM
apesrunner58

Bikes: domane trek

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am ok with them drafting. I do watch to see what their level of bike etiquette is. If I draft someone, I always ask if I can.
Old 01-07-16, 02:40 PM
Gonemad

Bikes: '05 Klein Reve V, '96 Stump Jumper M2, Ancient Ex-Mt. Beater

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am guilty of anonymous drafting. I do it almost every ride I do solo (I don't race). I never announce my self unless I'm going to pass. I never pursue a rider for such an opportunity, nor closely "suck their wheel" or stay on for more than a few minutes. I keenly watch the body language of my hosts and always act accordingly, and that is all I expect of anyone who wants to draft me; so far it's never been an issue.

Last edited by Gonemad; 01-07-16 at 02:43 PM.