Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Never knew it was so easy to bruise ribs.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-15, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts

Back in my "younger days" this may or may not have happened, but it seems like the older I get (now 51), the easier it is to injure myself.

Yesterday, I was out in my garage installing a police scanner in my car (Amateur Radio / Scanning are other "rabid" hobbies of mine, along with cycling). As I was kneeling just outside the front, passenger side door, but leaning inside the car to run some antenna wire under the seat, I heard / felt something go "POP" on the left side of my rib cage and a fraction of a second later, was in excruciating pain. Don't ask me how, but I was able to finish the installation job, and then called it a day. Thought for sure I had broken a rib (or two) somehow, but decided to "tough it out." Yeah, stupid thing to do. Couldn't take a deep breath, hurt like hell if I sneezed or coughed, and could not, in any way, shape or form, get comfortable enough to get much in the way of sleep last night.

Decided to go to the ER this morning, seeing that the pain was actually worse when I woke up from my little "naps" throughout the night. X-rays showed nothing broken, but just internal bruising. The doctor tried to show me how she was able to determine the area was bruised, but I just wasn't seeing it. It hurts, so I took her word for it. In light of that, I asked her what the POP I had heard and felt was, and she said that leaning over like I was, probably two to three ribs were being pressed together, and my movements caused one to "pop" back into place, thus causing the internal bruising and pain. I said I didn't know ribs were flexible, and she said that they are quite flexible. Huh, who knew? I sure didn't. Anyway, I guess the old saying is true...you learn something new every day.

Also had a "new leaning experience" today...it's not a smart idea to go out for a ride less than 24 hours after bruising your ribs. Even with some Aleve flowing thru me (more than the recommended 2 pills, I might add. She said regular, over the counter, meds would be sufficient. Yeah right, I call BS on that), pedaling, especially uphill, was not one of my wisest decisions. The area burned like fire. The doctor told me to take it easy for a few days, but did I listen? Of course not. I'm too stupid for that LOL!! I will now be heeding her advice.
Old 11-26-15, 03:22 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Best of luck in recovery

It was August 29th when I went over the side on my mtn bike and landed hard on my back - evidently bruising several ribs noticeably. Rode home, after a few days went to doc. He felt around a bit. Mucho pain - the doc prescribed vicodin, but I almost never take that mood changing drug. No XRay as the doc said it wouldn't really prove anything. Can't take usual Ibuprofen or Aleve, so I ended up with Mobic and Tylenol.

Anyway, very difficult to find a sleep position or much of any other position. Doing upper body resistance exercises (which I did not stop) - yes, I am basically stupid - did not aid recovery!!! Not.

Now it is November 26th - let's see - 3 months, and I am finally getting some relief from pain, but ut is still there at times, raising its ugly head.

I hope you have better luck. However, all that I have read states it is a long haul for recovery from bruised ribs. At least they were not broken!!
Old 11-26-15, 03:30 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to see how flexible ribs are, go and watch some open heart surgery. It's quite interesting.
Old 11-26-15, 05:57 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Broke a half dozen rib getting blown over by the wind on my bike while cresting a hill . . .
I was only in my seventies then . . .
At age 83 still ride about 100 miles a week but avoid overly windy days!
You'll heal in time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Tour of Utah.jpg (48.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by zonatandem; 11-26-15 at 05:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-15, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If ribs weren't flexible we'd all be a world of hurt.

On a lighter note...55 y/o wife fell and caught a rock to the rib cage a couple months back. First thought bruised but it was taking so long to recover we moved on the prolly cracked. Late, eventual trip to the doc for a routine visit got her could have been cracked but most likely just badly bruised. Didn't bother with x-rays at that point. Point taken that bone bruises can be quite painful and take a bit to stop hurting.
Old 11-26-15, 09:34 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Upper body dumbbell work including straight arm pullovers. Keeping muscle mass and tone is the surest preventative against injury as we age.