Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Im Thankful!

Old 11-26-15, 02:26 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Thankful!

Thankful for everything I have!

For my beautiful wife - Dr. Marlene Tejada Thomas
For my daughter - Shana
For my son-in-law - Mac
For my grandson - Tanner Morgan
For my nieces and nephews - Diane, Bea, Rhustan, Jamie, Steven, David, Jeff and Steven

For all my friends

Thankful for the United States and the honor I had to serve my country!
Thankful for all our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines and my fellow Veterans!
Thankful to the Police and Fire Departments that serve with honor and dignity!

For bikeforums.net and other places I hang out on occasion with like minded folks on the web.
Thankful to have a nice bike.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Last edited by fthomas; 11-26-15 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-26-15, 03:00 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree we the a lot of what you have said. We live in a wonderful place, with many folks to thank!

i do not disagree with anything, just would need to change a few names.
Old 11-26-15, 10:50 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I agree there is so much to be thankful for. The sacrifices that many have made such that I can enjoy so much - it makes me think that sooner or later I will be called upon to give, perhaps even sacrifice and I shall choose to do so gratefully.
Old 11-26-15, 11:06 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thankful to be alive. Thankful to be so blessed in so many ways. Thankful to be a cyclist.
Old 11-26-15, 11:23 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 148 Posts
In bicycling-specific stuff alone, I'm thankful for Wayne, the fellow who gave me a lift a few weeks ago when I had a flat and no pump, and couldn't walk the bike home because the tire kept rolling off the rim. And he offered a ride again a few days ago when I got caught in the rain. I thanked him but said I wanted to test the new tires on wet roads anyway, the evening was warm, and I was already soaked and didn't want to mess up his truck with my soggy clothes. But I'm going to try to remember his kindness and generosity every time a driver is a bit rude, right hooks me or passes uncomfortably close.
Old 11-30-15, 09:53 AM
LuckySailor

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 50 in August. As a gift to myself, I rode my bike from Victoria, BC to St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. And without the loving support of my wife and daughter, who held down the fort while I was gone, I could not have made the journey. So I am thankful for them, allowing me to have a most awesome summer! I served in the worlds finest Navy for nearly 10 years. I am thankful for all veterans, those still with us and those who made the ultimate sacrifice. I am also thankful for the families, because without their support, we wouldn't have veterans. I now reside in Canada, but I can say that even though both countries have their problems, we still live in 2 of the best countries in the world, and that we should be thankful for. I'd say I am also thankful to be able to celebrate Thanksgiving twice every year. (October Canada, November USA) So much great food to eat!
Old 11-30-15, 06:03 PM
nobodyhere
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A year ago November 24th, my 48 year old son with the profound physical and developmental disability had just been released from the hospital ICU after severe water deprivation from his caregiver almost caused his death. This Thanksgiving he ate with my other son, daughter-in-law, wife and me, smiling the whole time, well-nourished and hydrated by his new caregiver. One of the best Thanksgivings ever.
Old 12-01-15, 01:00 AM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nobodyhere View Post
A year ago November 24th, my 48 year old son with the profound physical and developmental disability had just been released from the hospital ICU after severe water deprivation from his caregiver almost caused his death. This Thanksgiving he ate with my other son, daughter-in-law, wife and me, smiling the whole time, well-nourished and hydrated by his new caregiver. One of the best Thanksgivings ever.
That is a blessing and joy that will provide a lifetime of wonderful memories!

I took care of a brother who was profoundly deaf, mildly autistic and special needs. Mom came down with dementia and could no longer care for him. A brother and sister did not want the responsibility. I was very upset with the way the brother was treating him. Moved him into an upstairs office at his home that was so small that you could not walk around a queen bed and his clothes were all in paper sacks. While at his home (where he and Mom had lived for most of his life) was his bedroom with nice furniture and a closet. All of his surrounding for the past 45 years. I was livid.

I moved him home and stayed with him for almost five years. The Monday before Thanksgiving 2012 he and I went shopping in Costco. We had finished and loaded everything into the car. He put the cart away and came back and sat down in the passenger seat. He fell over backwards into my arms. He passed away in my car from a massive heart attack.

It has been a few years, but I miss him. I can now say I have more wonderful memories of our five years together than I do of that dreadful night.

I'm so very thankful that he and I had that time together. He is gone, but his memory is as vivid as ever.

Old 12-01-15, 07:31 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Feel fully blessed for many of the same reasons as in most all of those posts above, especially my wife and children. All these stories of our blessings, and that we can give thanks for them makes me feel better about things, not too much going on in the world does this right now.

Thanks for starting this thread, Frank, it made me stop and consider how many blessings I have, and to be thankful for all of them, and to be thankful for my friends here at BF/50+.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 12-01-15, 01:52 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 31 Posts
Four years ago I was able to spend some quality time with my father after he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He asked my stepmother to take my artist wife out for a photoshoot of local fall colors in Springville UT (Provo suburb) so that we could talk privately to "clear the air." When he told me he was sorry for any mistakes he might have made in raising me and my younger brother, I reassured him that he was talking to "one of the most fortunate and happy SOBs he would ever meet."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-01-15, 06:18 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Four years ago I was able to spend some quality time with my father after he was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He asked my stepmother to take my artist wife out for a photoshoot of local fall colors in Springville UT (Provo suburb) so that we could talk privately to "clear the air." When he told me he was sorry for any mistakes he might have made in raising me and my younger brother, I reassured him that he was talking to "one of the most fortunate and happy SOBs he would ever meet."
Wow, what a wonderful blessing your Dad gave you.