Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Grumpy old guy or should the young ones HTFU, or....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-26-15, 02:52 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Out riding today, thankful for a beautiful day, beautiful trails, good health and much more.

Yet, it struck me how many young guys were pushing their bikes up relatively easy hills. If I can ride my SS up the hill, it is not that hard of a hill. Yet, a lot of guys in the free ride area were pushing their bikes up the hills. These were not DH bikes, I understand pushing a DH bike uphill.

Have a chunk of the younger guys gotten soft? Do a chunk of them need to HTFU? Am I just being a grumpy old man? Or, some combo of both???
Old 11-26-15, 03:26 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Definitely a GRUMPY OLD GUY. Take it from another GRUMPY OLD GUY. I know one when I see one.
Old 11-26-15, 03:54 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Could be they are rather new at it or they are just out there for the nice day it was?
Old 11-26-15, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Could be they are rather new at it or they are just out there for the nice day it was?
They rode down a free ride trail with gap jumps, so probably not newbie riders. Also, it was 28 degrees when I started riding. So, although beautiful, likely not solely out for the day.
Old 11-26-15, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by nobodyhere
Definitely a GRUMPY OLD GUY. Take it from another GRUMPY OLD GUY. I know one when I see one.
I am OK with this....
Old 11-26-15, 08:18 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Back in my mountain biking days I sometimes spent so much time pushing my bike up hills that I questioned why I spoiled a nice hike by bringing it with me.
Old 11-27-15, 04:40 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I found that pushing a bike up a climb Is often harder than riding it, maybe they know something you don't,
Maybe for them It's a very Intense workout
Old 11-27-15, 04:52 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Out riding today, thankful for a beautiful day, beautiful trails, good health and much more.

Yet, it struck me how many young guys were pushing their bikes up relatively easy hills. If I can ride my SS up the hill, it is not that hard of a hill. Yet, a lot of guys in the free ride area were pushing their bikes up the hills. These were not DH bikes, I understand pushing a DH bike uphill.

Have a chunk of the younger guys gotten soft? Do a chunk of them need to HTFU? Am I just being a grumpy old man? Or, some combo of both???

Maybe they have already done 50+ miles of riding?

Great tune.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw_yprN_-w
Old 11-27-15, 07:39 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
At 77 I notice exactly what the OP has stated. I am not that fast. On the level on my bent I ride about 15 on my bent, and maybe 13 or a little better on my trike. Yet-------------I still seem to pass a lot of young people.
Old 11-27-15, 08:05 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I also take issue with anyone in good health pushing a bike up a hill for any reason.
But that being said I also believe that my generation also had its share of lazyass kids as I remember many of my friends and other kids in town pushing their Scwhinns up hills
Old 11-27-15, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
I also take issue with anyone in good health pushing a bike up a hill for any reason.
But that being said I also believe that my generation also had its share of lazyass kids as I remember many of my friends and other kids in town pushing their Scwhinns up hills
If you never fail, you aren't challenging yourself enough.
Old 11-27-15, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Grumpy. Teenagers have a tendency to slack off when they can, always have. You and I probably did also, even if we don't remember it.
Old 11-27-15, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
You are grumpy and out of line. There is no shame in walking a bike. Be happy people are out and about, enjoying life.
Old 11-27-15, 09:47 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Am I just being a grumpy old man?
Yep.

If one has been a serious cyclist for twice as long as a young rider has been alive physical adaptation to the bike, efficient pedaling dynamics, well honed handing skills and a mindset used to dealing with challenging terrain were developed long ago. These are not insignificant in getting right smartly down the road/trail and can trump the strength and recovery rate of young newbies, unless the young newbies are also serious cyclists rapidly developing the same skills and mindset but with youthful power and bravura. You won't out-HTFU the local USAC Juniors either.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-27-15 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-27-15, 10:23 AM

By the way, these were not teens. All the teens I saw were riding their bikes everywhere. These were all 20-40 year olds. I believe, based on where they were, that they show up to only ride the downhill (free ride) sections. It appeared that they just did not want to put out the effort. One group of guys just got off their bikes a couple hundred yards up a maybe half mile hill. Grumpy or not, I still think a large majority of these guys, in this situation, just need to HTFU. There is nothing wrong with breathing hard and your legs burning a bit. Yes, we all have days when pushing is the choice, but after two weekends in a row of watching this I think this is the norm for this group of riders.

just a few thoughts. Clearly they can do as they choose.
Old 11-27-15, 10:25 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you never fail, you aren't challenging yourself enough.
You just failed. Way to challenge yourself
Old 11-27-15, 10:41 AM
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I believe, based on where they were, that they show up to only ride the downhill (free ride) sections.
Even in the NORBA days of mountain biking the Downhiller and Cross Country types were as different as Chalk & Cheese.
Totally different interests in how a bicycle was to be used, far more different than Trackies were to Roadies.

Today: Same, same.

-Bandera
Old 11-27-15, 10:44 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,093 Posts
I would like to be empathetic of your view but it doesn't work for me. Grumpy is not the term I would use. You do your thing and let them do theirs. This is not an age related view point. None of us have a clue as to why others do what they do. I am my own competitor and am happy with that. I push myself most of the time but there are times when I don't' want to ride but do anyway and just take it easy.

Do I ever walk a bike up a hill? I have, but it was when I was still in poor condition. I got over it by riding more. Did it bother me that I had to walk it? Yes because walking in road shoes with cleats is really tough. I started using a MTB to get into shape so I wouldn't have to walk it. But that was a personal decision. I didn't do it because someone on a SS passed me going up a hill.

A lot of 20 40 year olds hardly ever ride a bike. Nice weekend rides are not the same when you do them every couple of months or even weeks. If you commute and then have a weekend ride, your in much better shape.

This is me being grumpy!
Old 11-27-15, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SJX426
I would like to be empathetic of your view but it doesn't work for me. Grumpy is not the term I would use. You do your thing and let them do theirs. This is not an age related view point. None of us have a clue as to why others do what they do. I am my own competitor and am happy with that. I push myself most of the time but there are times when I don't' want to ride but do anyway and just take it easy.

Do I ever walk a bike up a hill? I have, but it was when I was still in poor condition. I got over it by riding more. Did it bother me that I had to walk it? Yes because walking in road shoes with cleats is really tough. I started using a MTB to get into shape so I wouldn't have to walk it. But that was a personal decision. I didn't do it because someone on a SS passed me going up a hill.

A lot of 20 40 year olds hardly ever ride a bike. Nice weekend rides are not the same when you do them every couple of months or even weeks. If you commute and then have a weekend ride, your in much better shape.

This is me being grumpy!
Yes, when I have to push, it bugs me. But, we all find it happens at times. I think, after hearing some more opinions, that what bugs me is the folks who are trying to avoid exercise. I totally respect someone up there who is overweight, sweating, dying, and overall giving it their personal best (even if they are pushing their bike). I guess what bugs me are young people who push when it is to avoid some exercise. But, it does not ruin my ride, I never say anything to them, it is their choice. Just like it is my choice to share here and compare thoughts. Now, time to go ride a new place with my SS and see if I need to push it at times.
Old 11-27-15, 11:21 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
I've not done it since I was a kid, but there is no shame walking a bike up a hill. Check this pix out.

It was one of my few forays into the world of MTBs. I was climbing a hill with a look of grim determination, while others get off their bikes and walk.

Pretty impressive huh? Except one thing ... those people walking up the hill passed me!

Old 11-28-15, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
The latest rage in Europe is enduro racing, but only the descents are timed. Many of the racers walk the uphills to save energy for the wild descents.
Old 11-28-15, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have a ton of sympathy for the downhillers having to walk or push their bikes uphill. Have you tried lifting some of those DH bikes?
Old 11-28-15, 10:00 AM

DH bikes I fully understand, I have owned them. Guys or gals struggling to get into shape, I have been there and fully understand. I am standing my ground regarding folks who just do not want to sweat or feel a little burn. If you saw the "hills" I am talking about you would probably also be shaking your head. Again, it is their ride. I am just confused by this behavior and find it kind of sad.
Old 11-28-15, 10:07 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 617 Posts
DH bikes I fully understand, I have owned them. Guys or gals struggling to get into shape, I have been there and fully understand. I am standing my ground regarding folks who just do not want to sweat or feel a little burn. If you saw the "hills" I am talking about you would probably also be shaking your head. Again, it is their ride. I am just confused by this behavior and find it kind of sad.
Walking is great exercise...They may have medical problems.

Old 11-28-15, 10:12 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
If you never walk your bike up a hill you're either a climbing animal or very selective in your routes.

(I have a couple of local hills I just cannot ride up fully. Even though I'm selective I'm definitely not a climbing animal)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.